No table mates at dinner?

Definitely check with the dining room managers to get a table with others. Even on anytime dining we have had problems getting shared tables! Twice we have been seated at late seating with no table mates! We asked to be moved and had great tablemates. One manager suggested we eat at 6pm and he would guarantee table mates - so much for anytime dining! It was interesting that the others at the table had also been trying to share tables and not getting them!

On the last cruise we met several people we enjoyed - and started arranging to go into dinner during anytime dining with them - forming our own tables.

And we had a large family and a table of 8 or more every night at home when our kids were growing up. It was a treat for the two of us to vacation sometimes without the family and during those times we wanted to be alone as much as possible. We wouldn't even consider traveling with friends back then, so precious was our two-top. But now that we've got an empty nest we're more likely to enjoy socializing. So you see it can be very circumstantial.

My wife and I always do early dining and originally we always asked for a table of 6 or more. we really enjoy meeting new people. A few cruises ago we ended up being the only two at a table for 10. Some Others showed up halfway through the cruise but only for one night. This happened on three consecutive cruises. Now we go with my time or select dining and offer to share a table. This works much better for us and if we meet someone who is interested in sharing a table the next night , we do.

On our cruise on the Summit, my daughter and I had the travel agent request a table of 8. We were disappointed when we found out we had a table for two. When we boarded, we went to the maitre d' and requested a large table. They told us they would work on it but couldn't guarantee it and asked us to keep the table for two the first night. Sure enough, the next day we found new seating arrangements on our bed. It was a table for eight.

When we got to dinner on the second night, we met our tablemates and each one of the couples had been assigned to a table for two and had requested a change to a larger table. It ended up being the best dining experience of all my cruises. We had a great time each night at dinner.

Go to the maitre d' the first day and ask for the change. They will switch you if it is at all possible.

The OP should not have a problem because it seems like every time I enter the MDR (either for lunch or dinner) the hostess tells us " if you want a table with other folks we can seat you right away, if you desire a table for 2 it may take 5 to 10 minutes". Never in the mood to wait, I take the table with others. I can go either way.

Our first five X cruises, we had early dining (6pm) with the same people at a table for 8. Everything was good, we had great companions, etc. On our sixth cruise, our table companions we not so great. We had a table for 12 and only six persons showed up on time the first three nights. When the other four assigned to the table did show up, we discovered we didn't care much for them anyway, so we were transferred to another table, which worked out OK. The seventh cruise, again we had a couple of people we just didn't want to stick with another night, so we switched to Select Dining.

Select dining has worked out very well, since we usually go from the elite happy hour to the MDR with friends we met on cruise critic roll calls or at the happy hour.

We have sailed on Celebrity for at least 10 years and from the start requested a table of 8. Up until 3 or 4 years ago we had full tables(mostly) and enjoyed meeting and laughing with them. The first night is always a "get to know you" and then the next night it is like old friends sharing stories. However, these last years the table never has been filled to capacity and sometimes it is only 4-5 people showing up. I always feel badly if I choose to do a specialty dinner. We sailed in February and had a table for 2 and noticed a woman sitting a table for 8+ all by her self. A kind person invited her to join them but she declined.

On the cruises we do now which are port intensive and we plan full day tours, we request anytime dining.

Also we so enjoyed the joking and personalities of the servers with our large table but seems to be a thing of the past. Sit, order, maybe order a drink if the wine server shows up before dinner is served and then get rushed out. This is my most critical concern about Celebrity MDR. We went on Norwegian and they were even worse. Just miss this aspect of sailing a lot.

When we first started cruising about 12 years ago OH always wanted a table for 2 at dinner. We did this for the first 2 cruises even going to see the dining room as soon as we boarded to make sure we had our own table. On our 3rd cruise we were told that there were no tables for 2 so we went to dinner that night with heavy hearts. We had the best time and our table mates were great fun. ever since we always request a large table. 6 years ago we met a couple from Albuqueque and have been on a further trip with them. This year on reflection we requested a table for 8 but unfortunately only 1 other couple turned up. They were lovely but it would have been better if the table was full as they did speciality dining a couple of evenings so we were eating on our own.

We always chose late traditional dining with a large table. After a few times of having only 2 table-mates we tried select (or whatever the cruise line calls it). We love it. Some nights we're tired and don't want to make small talk and ask for a table for 2, other nights we opt for a full table. On our last Celebrity cruise we had many of the same table mates on different nights in different combinations. If eating at approximately the same time, you also get the same servers most of the time. And we have never waited more than a minute or 2 for a table on Celebrity or Princess.

I am curious if the cruise industry is shying away from placing different parties together at dinner. I am on a Celebrity cruise right now. When booking, I requested a table for 6-8. They put us at a table for two. The same thing happened on cruise in December(Royal.)

Is this the new norm? I always liked dining with strangers and getting to know them throughout the cruise.

Being a gay couple we request a table for 2. We don't need to be seated with potentially unfriendly pax. This past Jan. on Oceania, we had to share tables in some of the specialty rest. In Polo Grill we were seated with a couple from Texas. Let's just say it was not a comfortable meal for any of us. The other night we were at a table for 8 & it was fine. That aside there should be no reason the Maître D can't seat you at a larger table. Are you doing "fixed" seating or anytime dining? Anytime seating should be your best bet.

When we first started cruising about 12 years ago OH always wanted a table for 2 at dinner. We did this for the first 2 cruises even going to see the dining room as soon as we boarded to make sure we had our own table. On our 3rd cruise we were told that there were no tables for 2 so we went to dinner that night with heavy hearts. We had the best time and our table mates were great fun. ever since we always request a large table. 6 years ago we met a couple from Albuqueque and have been on a further trip with them. This year on reflection we requested a table for 8 but unfortunately only 1 other couple turned up. They were lovely but it would have been better if the table was full as they did speciality dining a couple of evenings so we were eating on our own.

It's all about personal preference and choices. No ones opinion is right or wrong.

Thanks for the reply. But ugh, calling Celebrity is such a pain! Each time we have done this we have been on hold at least 20-30 minutes. :(

One of our first stops is the Maitre D once on ship. We like to confirm our round table for 8. Never had an issue with moving us if needed and then you KNOW it is done. Even if I called Captain's Club or whoever, I would 'trust and verify' once on ship. We typically get on early and go see Maitre D first then to the OV lunch rush, then a pool bar while waiting for our cabin access! :)

Have a great cruise!

Just returned from Equinox. Request table for 6 0r eight together our shipmates. Checked with dining manager we had table for 2 and cruising partners had table for 12. He changed table so we had a table for 12 in the dark (needed flashlight to read menu). Only 2 other people at table. Went Amir who we knew from previous cruise. He arranged for a table for 6 with a lovely couple the next 10 days and had a great time. Cruise info showed we were combined yet dining room did not follow instructions. Questions by didn,t X follow instructions taking 3 trys to get it right.