I'm on Anthem of the Seas 9 night cruise right now

Thanks for doing this! We board Anthem on the 31st for the same cruise. You gave me hope that there are items on the menu that will be “friendly” to me. We can’t eat dairy and avoid meat if possible. It’s nice to hear they are taking care of you.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Labadee day.

We had no excursions planned so no rush to get off ship. I think people were supposed to be off by 9 but will said he saw people off earlier.

We went to 270 cafe for breakfast. I got a cheese/tomato croissant and brown sugar oatmeal. I think will got 2 bacon, egg, cheese croissants.

We asked for Nellies beach. Maybe 10 min walk from ship. Lots of stuff to see, people playing music and dancing along the way.

We get greeted by someone who asked $20 for umbrella chairs but it's free for plain umbrellas sat in the shade. Plus tip for the guy who got the chairs. Bring change.

The water was COLD. Colder than stmartin. We got used to it and swam for hours. I brought bread and goggles so we fed fish. It wasn't a massive swarm like we've seen in Bermuda but fish did come.

Water was salty like St Martin so you float without much effort.

The beach had a bbq but the. Line was miles long so we skipped it.

There's a back stone path from nellies beach to the "artisan market" for shopping.

Don't go there.

At the end of the path a guy was waiting for us to show us his stall. A lot of stalls very tight together. He kept saying "no pressure" but was pressing us to buy something, anything. I did buy something I liked but only had 20s (i had come for souvenirs after all) and asked for change. He took the 20 and said he'd find some change from someone else . They guy in the next stall said "im jealous, come look at mine" so I bought something from him too. We haggled prices and in the end I said get the change from the guy who disappeared with my money to get change. I wasn't giving away another $ 20.

The woman next door said "you bought from 2 men, come to my stall and support women". I looked but passed. The next stall was like "me next". It was very pushy and overwhelming. Everyone calling out for us to come look at their stall. Pressing us to buy absolutely anything. There was no one else but me, hubby, and all the vendors.

The back stone path from Bellies put us in a secluded part of the market that I guess was really desperate. Some one said were their first customer and it was already12 pm. So they had been waiting 3 hours for customers. I can only imagine their situation but we were made uncomfortable, left very quickly, and regretted going.

There's an artisan market building that's a regular store. Same stuff but no pushiness. Just go there.

We rode the tram back. To the entrance of labadee and got on the boat.*

Showered and had lunch at the buffet. Much is closed on island days.

Then we played pool at the music hall .

Then we finally got these large double rocking chairs hubby's been eyeing forever but they were never empty. He napped. I got a coffee.

We caught most of the movie Peter Rabbit on the outdoor pool deck. It was windy and cold but I liked seeing the movie outside too much to leave. I didn't bring any sort of jacket.

We caught our room steward Leon in the hall and asked about laundry. I think 1 bag is $35. We've never done laundry on a ship before. We filled out the slip and filed the bag and left it with Leon.

We changed for Chops. Dim lighting, snooty atmosphere. I had talked to guest services about a veg option that afternoon and they got me the truffle cream pasta from Jaime Oliver's restaurant. Probably the best thing I had on the ship. I also had a fried goat cheese salad, Gruyere tots, super cheesey and a lavender vodka tonic which was very sweet and lavendary. Best drink on the ship.

We saw a comic after, he was good: Derrick Cameron. Lots of jokes about helicopter parents.

Then there was the Quest show after that but were decided to skip it. I know alot of people like it but it we were tired from labadee, full from dinner, and just wanted bed.

They may play it on the TV and well see what we missed then.

Tomorrow is another formal night.444ab1501687471ea8973ed2850d1791.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

day 4a52e97ec2afc8db1a94847ec6f3ef9f4.jpgbfd3132bab3b9c8d2b8afada14eafc68.jpg

Hi there! I have a quick question for you. I got some help from others on the boards, but have one follow up. I’m sailing on Anthem right after you get off for their 5 day itinerary. My question was about clock changes because Bermuda is an hour ahead of EST. Based on your cruise planner, it looks like you stayed on EST and then when you left Bermuda, clocks went back an hour. Is that accurate? Just trying to figure out timing for excursions, etc. thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

For us I think it was half and half. 3 hours lunch/beach, 3 hours jeep. But he was only going to give us 2 hours, at the beach and some protested for more time so we got 3. I guess the beach to jeep time is flexible depending on group.

Me and hubby were lucky to nab a jeep quickly to drive and get a couple in the back who didn't want to drive so we're in the front the whole time. If we didn't get to drive and were stuck in the back of another couples jeep we may not have been as satisfied.

I did like the sites and the tour guide. But the first stop at the flag hill was best shot of the island and the last stop at beach was a beautiful sunset. In between there wasn't much to see but hurricane damage, which plenty of people still took pictures of just to show everyone back home how damaged they still are.

Great recap. We are doing the Jeep tour in St Martin too. Were you satisfied with it? What’s the breakdown of beach time vs time seeing sites in the Jeep?

Thank you so much for the info. We are a family of 4 so looks like we will have our own Jeep.

For us I think it was half and half. 3 hours lunch/beach, 3 hours jeep. But he was only going to give us 2 hours, at the beach and some protested for more time so we got 3. I guess the beach to jeep time is flexible depending on group.

Me and hubby were lucky to nab a jeep quickly to drive and get a couple in the back who didn't want to drive so we're in the front the whole time. If we didn't get to drive and were stuck in the back of another couples jeep we may not have been as satisfied.

I did like the sites and the tour guide. But the first stop at the flag hill was best shot of the island and the last stop at beach was a beautiful sunset. In between there wasn't much to see but hurricane damage, which plenty of people still took pictures of just to show everyone back home how damaged they still are.

Day 8

We got the departure info. We're gonna leave the room at 845 on Saturday. We dunno if we want carry off or let the stewards take our bags the night before. We brought so much stuff with us and now we have souvenirs as well!

Also got the tip envelopes. Leon was so friendly and we got our laundry back today, less than 24 hours. He's a good guy.

This morning was the All Access Tour at 930. We didn't really get going till 10 because half the group, including us, didn't get the letter that said you have to sign a waiver, wear long pants, and closed toe shoes.

So many people kept coming in the wrong clothes or needed to fill the paper work first and the tour guide waited for everyone.* The letter was actually in our room when we came back after the tour but not before.

The tour was almost 2 hours long and very informative. I especially liked all the info about how eco friendly they try to be. They're getting rid of plastic straws soon. Also the kitchen tour was super cool and of course the bridge.*

We skipped breakfast this morning so when the tour ended we went to Grande for lunch. I guess the lunch menu doesn't change so I had my same salad and truffle leek grilled cheese (which is good) and I had the chocolate fondue! Yum!

Before we got on the cruise we read about the tables being close together and feeling like your dining with the table next to you. It's true, the tables Are so very close you can def hear and join in the convos next to you but we're usually at a window seat and keep to ourselves ... until today. The couple next to us were talkers. The husband talked so much (complaining) that he barely ate his food. I didn't find any of their issues serious enough to run a cruise. Everything was resolveable.

Later this afternoon I developed a sore throat. I purell'd and washywashy'd so much but I may be coming down with something.

I didn't have an appetite for dinner so we went to Brass and Bocks. Hubby had the soft pretzel sticks with mustard and the poutine. Both were good but there was very little gravy and cheese on the fries. He had the burger and really liked it, nothing like the flat windjammer patties.

My appetite came back for dessert and we shared the apple beignet that comes with ice cream and nutella. SO GOOD. That dessert is real competition to Jaime Oliver's brownie as best desert.

Tonight was the 2nd formal night but not as many people dressed up and there weren't as many photo op booths.

We went to the*We will rock you show and it was really good! Really good singers. I think this show had more risque outfits and language than the Cabaret show. Nothing a teen couldn't handle I guess but I don't have kids. You be the judge.

Then we went to Matt Yee's sing along. Very funny, not for kids. He warns parents and throws in quite a few sexual jokes. Thing is, he's in Schooners bar out in the open so if you pass by with your kids on the way to the theater they may hear a thing or two! We stayed there almost 2 hours!

We got more towel animals. I think we got 4 these 8 days. They all look like puppies or elephant?

Hubby finds the bed hard. I didn't the first half of the cruise but now I do. Not so bad that we cant sleep, cause we do. Just missing our own beds.

I know we could ask for a mattress topper but it's so late in the cruise I'm not even gonna bother.e901247b3e6f9e8b30d51c87280f2f3c.jpg57193f741f3300c01d1a81998813b173.jpg

You said you received tip envelopes. Is the auto tip option no longer available?

MARAPRINCE

Auto tip is available. Some people choose not to auto tip, and some, us included, will tip extra to someone we thought exceptional.

Marg

We spent alot of today packing.

We were supposed to go to the galley brunch but they canceled it and didn't let us know. Luckily I called this morning to check the time and that's how I found out.

We had breakfast in the buffet and basically walked the ship soaking in the last day. Watching the flow rider, ifly, and circus in the sea plex.

Sales all over the place. We did some last day souvenir shopping. You always forget about that one friend at work, etc.

One last dip in the pool/jacuzzi. It wasn't as crowded as you might think. I forgot to mention but the outside pool screen shows something like "fail army" alot of the time. Kinda like America's Funniest Home Videos but worse LOL. I find it a weird choice.

We had Johnny Rockets for lunch. Can't get enough of those onion rings.

We watched a symphony concert in 270. You may think you're not a fan but then they play the star wars theme or the Jurassic park theme and you realize you are.

We're had dinner at the MDR at 845. That's late for them. We were almost the last ones out but they didn't rush us. I had the ghost cheese tart and Indian option and it was delicious and spicy! I like spicy. Hubby had coconut shrimp (so so) and surf and turf (excellent ). I had the apple pie which was great besides the raisins.

A scary thing happened at dinner. Hubby saw a very old woman slumped over and someone from crew administering a shot. I'm glad I couldn't watch but hubby did. Eventually the woman came around but just barely and they wheeled her out.

I imagine it was an allergic reaction but they're good about asking you your allergies/food restrictions and taking note of it so I'm not sure how she would have eaten something she shouldn't have.

We got our usb of pictures and watched the karaoke competition in 270. Right after that was their virtual firework show. Very cool for kids cause it's not super loud like the real ones.

We received the liquor we bought and put our bags outside.*We never got declaration forms*This is the first time were not carrying off ourselves. I hope it's not a mess.4e19ebd52221298915dfae16513cff83.jpg

We spent alot of today packing.

We were supposed to go to the galley brunch but they canceled it and didn't let us know. Luckily I called this morning to check the time and that's how I found out.

We had breakfast in the buffet and basically walked the ship soaking in the last day. Watching the flow rider, ifly, and circus in the sea plex.

Sales all over the place. We did some last day souvenir shopping. You always forget about that one friend at work, etc.

One last dip in the pool/jacuzzi. It wasn't as crowded as you might think. I forgot to mention but the outside pool screen shows something like "fail army" alot of the time. Kinda like America's Funniest Home Videos but worse LOL. I find it a weird choice.

We had Johnny Rockets for lunch. Can't get enough of those onion rings.

We watched a symphony concert in 270. You may think you're not a fan but then they play the star wars theme or the Jurassic park theme and you realize you are.

We're had dinner at the MDR at 845. That's late for them. We were almost the last ones out but they didn't rush us. I had the ghost cheese tart and Indian option and it was delicious and spicy! I like spicy. Hubby had coconut shrimp (so so) and surf and turf (excellent ). I had the apple pie which was great besides the raisins.

A scary thing happened at dinner. Hubby saw a very old woman slumped over and someone from crew administering a shot. I'm glad I couldn't watch but hubby did. Eventually the woman came around but just barely and they wheeled her out.

I imagine it was an allergic reaction but they're good about asking you your allergies/food restrictions and taking note of it so I'm not sure how she would have eaten something she shouldn't have.

We got our usb of pictures and watched the karaoke competition in 270. Right after that was their virtual firework show. Very cool for kids cause it's not super loud like the real ones.

We received the liquor we bought and put our bags outside.*We never got declaration forms*This is the first time were not carrying off ourselves. I hope it's not a mess.4e19ebd52221298915dfae16513cff83.jpg

I had an allergic reaction in my third cruise in MDR. I'm very allergic to fish and shellfish, so anywhere I eat I make sure to mention it. I had ordered a vegetarian pasta dish but quickly had a reaction. Our poor server was almost in tears because he thought he did something wrong. Turned out a chef decided to garnish the pasta dishes with some salmon or something for some strange reason. Royal handled it pretty well too.

And thank you for your awesome post about Anthem. We almost booked her for our cruise in December but picked a different ship for the ports. Anthem is on our list for next year.

Sent from my KFDOWI using Forums mobile app

Hi there! I have a quick question for you. I got some help from others on the boards, but have one follow up. I’m sailing on Anthem right after you get off for their 5 day itinerary. My question was about clock changes because Bermuda is an hour ahead of EST. Based on your cruise planner, it looks like you stayed on EST and then when you left Bermuda, clocks went back an hour. Is that accurate? Just trying to figure out timing for excursions, etc. thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Times change at 2AM. Everyone from the Captain to the servers remind you to change your watches when necessary and there is a clock with the correct time listed as you leave the ship.

You do not have to calculate time changes. ( I worried about the time change thing, too. )

Well I'm not on the Anthem anymore

: (

We felt the rumble of the ship slowly pulling into port around 7.

The elevators to go down were paaaaaaaaaacked. And when you finally get one it stops on Every Floor due to everyone trying to go down.

I read of some people complaining about the elevators on Anthem before I went on my cruise. This is the only time on this ship we've had any elevator issues.

Had our first and last breakfast at the Grande around 745. There was a line and they were sitting people together in tables of 6. Your wait was longer if you requested a table alone.

Our waiting area was 270, which was also packed but found seating upstairs. Our time to be called was 845 but we didn't leave 270 till 920 due to "terminal congestion" and ship refueling.

We were lead to customs (loooooong lines filled with grumpy people) where we declared our liquor verbally (no form to fill out) and they checked our passports. Then we were lead to find our bags. Half our bags were the wrong place but nearby and we found them. We were out with our bags by 10.

We loved our cruise but I'll write later with some criticisms.2c57e23789bcba28a6c839e6d062c93d.jpg

I'll try to organize to criticisms. I don't have any serious ones really..

FOOD

Overall the food was great. Even the windjammer; I really liked the stir fry station and the Indian choices.

*But my husband feels the orange juice was watered down. Not a big complaint unless you really like OJ like my hubby does. We only have Norwegian to compare to and they didn't water down their OJ.

THE ROOM

Loved the room: comfy and lots of storage esp. for 2.

*For the life of me I couldn't get the water temp in the shower right! I felt like as soon as I got a good temp I felt like it would change and I hadn't touched the knobs.

*Also there's only 1 shelf inside the shower and for some reason my travel size doodads would keep falling through the slats and that got annoying quick.

*Hubby thought the bathroom would benefit from a clothes line for wet clothes like Norwegian has. We dried alot of stuff on the balcony but I was nervous because I forgot those strong clips to keep the clothes from flying away. My soaked ATV sneakers took a week to dry completely - partly due to humidity.

*Later in the cruise, about day 8, I felt like the bathroom drain slowed down a bit and a very slight smell to the bathroom. Nothing overwhelming enough to get serviced.

*We had one moment right we were pulling into Bermuda where the TV starting acting up but turning it off and on did the trick. We did hear other people having TV issues too but not exactly as we did. The TV channels are awful anyway. Seventh Heaven and 80s music videos....

*No coffee machine in room. There is 24 hour (weak) coffee access in Cafe Promenade but it's nice to wake up, make coffee in your pj's, and sit out on the balcony without ever leaving your room, catching the elevator, interacting with people, etc.

*Also felt Norwegian gave more, and More creative, towel animals.

THE PEOPLE

*I swear one couple tried to get it on in front of us and multiple other couples in the solarium pool. It was gross and uncomfortable. They tried it in 2 different pools before leaving. Just ugh.

*Also, just people rude to the staff. ESPECIALLY in the wind jammer. For some of the guests, the staff couldn't work fast enough to fill their plates and the obvious groans and eye rolls were really sad to watch, esp. during a busy time where you could see on the servers face that they were trying their best .

I saw nothing but hard working crew members during my vaca and it really hurts my heart to see these entitled people looking their nose down at the crew. This happened in the terminal while leaving as well. Taking snotty to the employees cause you're annoyed you have to wait on the same line We All Do.

We're really blessed to be able to go on such a luxurious vacation and some people seemed so ungrateful. Or that they couldn't get out of their negative headspace, even on vacation.

DRESS CODE

*I think they're pretty loose with the code but we did see a guy with a sleeveless tank top in the MDR be asked to change into a regular shirt. This wasn't even a formal night.

*We did dress for formal because we wanted to. I couldn't care less what others wore. Everyone should be comfortable on their vacation.

GUEST SERVICES

They sent us a note that changed the date of the All Access Tour. The date they changed it to caused a scheduling conflict for us so we went to guest services and they said they fixed it. The day of I noticed by checking on the TV that it was still incorrect. We almost didn't get that tour.

*Double check their work.

It was a GREAT tour by the way.

*And they canceled the Galley Brunch with no notice to us. That was disappointing but we did see the galley in the All Access tour. Plus they did refund us for that.

TIP

*Don't go to the artisans village in Labadee unless you can handle a hard sale. And if you do go, bring change for a 20 caused they don't have it.

Or even to give a tip to the umbrella chair guys.

*The homeless in PR are bold about approaching you, even putting their arm around your shoulder and asking for money.

*The underside of the ship railings are sticky but we were told its their thick strong cleaner. Still feels gross.

VOOM

The internet was great, better than Norwegian.

*But we did have a period where we were kicked off. We visited the voom desk. They couldn't explain why but got us back on quickly.

***Overall I do think Norwegian had more to fill up a day. We found ourselves bored alot of afternoon's. But Royal has way more pools, which is a def bonus.***

The end!

WONDERFUL review! I am leaving on Thursday so this was such a great preview.

Curious about the galley brunch and all access tour. What are the charges for them and did u sign up at the front desk? What exactly is the galley brunch?

WONDERFUL review! I am leaving on Thursday so this was such a great preview.

Curious about the galley brunch and all access tour. What are the charges for them and did u sign up at the front desk? What exactly is the galley brunch?

The Galley Brunch should be in your Cruise Planner. (under activities, not under dining)

Great review! I'm looking at booking Anthem for the future with our kids so looking into the ship now.

One question....are there any special DreamWorks shows or other character events on Anthem, or just standard meet and greets? e.g. on Allure,they had a skating show and Aqua show that were DreamWorks...but I know Anthem doesn't have ice rink or aqua theater so not sure if anything similar.