Have you ever heard or seen Helicopter tours fall down during Alaska trip?

jaitip

I want to know about this that have you all ever heard of that?

I saw some pictures of them but do not know where.

Thank you.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You aren't going to find much in the way of rotor-wing flight seeing accident statistical data anywhere, including here in Alaska. Simply because they have an exemplary safety record. This subject periodically often comes up, at one time I had a bias toward helicopters, not anymore. Here is a pertinent post of mine on another thread just two years ago:

"I flew commercially in Alaska on the coast and in the interior, for 12 years, for the light aircraft bush division of an airline, flying both floats and wheels. Before I flew I worked as a mechanic/helper, one time in 1955 a helicopter came through, the pilot needed some help so asked me to ride along. It was only a 10 minute flight but that was the last time I was in a rotor wing until April 2013. Being a fixed wing pilot I listened to my colleagues, too much, we were always sort of prejudice about the rotor wings. But over the years I noticed that in Hawaii and even here in Alaska the helicopter outfits were slowly dominating the flight seeing industry. I wondered why. There was a non-fatal helicopter sightseeing accident in Southeast Alaska about 13 years or more ago that caused a little anxiety. It turned out that was the first safety board documented accident a rotor wing had down there, which amazed me as fixed wing accidents over the same statistical period were relatively commonplace. In my years of commercial flying I flew dozens and dozens of trips which were considered flightsees. I never had an accident of any type.

Having said all that, in April 2013 my wife and I decided to take a helicopter flightsee on Kona, even though we had been in Hawaii hundreds of days since 1970. Here is what I reported in Tripadviser:

"It was a beautiful day, but even at that, due all the hot gas and stuff from the vents the volcano sort of makes its own weather. So there were stretches where the smog was rather thick. We stopped in Hilo to refuel, then continued on along the coast. Very spectacular waterfalls, one after another, all set in the beautiful rain forests on that side of the island, then you come to Waimanu Valley, wow. I've only been on a chopper once before and that was when I was 15 or 16. No wonder helicopters are taking over visitor flight seeing, the world over. Going slow and hovering about and above outstanding vistas is the key, particularly when looking right down the throat of an active volcano." https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2324736&highlight=flight+seeing+safety+Alaska

Thank you Kennicot

I found some news of those but not many information I have got.

Some might say that i fear everything, just stay home.

That is not true for all. I just want to know the probabilities., how often.

I am not kind of whatever people.

Hi jaitip. You are the lady taking your Mom on the cruise? I have read about a plane going down in Ketchikan, many many years ago. Where you wanting to land on a glacier?

I also believe when it is my time to go, it is out of my hands. I would feel safer in a helicopter in Alaska than in Hawaii. Too many close mountains/valleys.

Only you can judge your comfort zone.

Hi jaitip. You are the lady taking your Mom on the cruise? I have read about a plane going down in Ketchikan, many many years ago. Where you wanting to land on a glacier?

I also believe when it is my time to go, it is out of my hands. I would feel safer in a helicopter in Alaska than in Hawaii. Too many close mountains/valleys.

Only you can judge your comfort zone.

Yes I am. I will fly next Friday to Seattle. Tour begins in Fairbanks.

I found one news happened three years ago with HAL customer, don’t know it was true.

At first I want to do dog sledding, but my mom could not attend any of them, so I have no exact plans now. Even maybe forget about it. I already booked some shore excursions, so I might not have enough time except in Ketchikan that I have not booked any yet.

This is my first time in Alaska. If the weather does not allow, the flight would be cancelled and that I will miss any other shore excursions. So i will miss everything. But it is my dream to stand on there.

Landing on Glacier is also nice. My friend just went on there in Skagway this early May. So nice, the weather was so clear.

I might look for one if there are chances, maybe in Denali.

Thank you^^

To the OP - I have flown in helicopters for a large portion of my military career. Pretty much anything they had. One time in 22 years we had an auto rotate landing at Fort Hood Texas. Funny thing? It was easier that the tactical take offs and Landings that I went through in Viet Nam.

My DW and myself will be in Alaska in August - doing the Hubbard Dog sledding thing. I have no fear whatsoever. Enjoy your flight. You will be fine.

To the OP - I have flown in helicopters for a large portion of my military career. Pretty much anything they had. One time in 22 years we had an auto rotate landing at Fort Hood Texas. Funny thing? It was easier that the tactical take offs and Landings that I went through in Viet Nam.

My DW and myself will be in Alaska in August - doing the Hubbard Dog sledding thing. I have no fear whatsoever. Enjoy your flight. You will be fine.

Thank you.

Have a nice trio also^^

OP. I was scared as well when we went to land on Mendenhall Glacier via Helicopter. We booked off ship. The helicopter ride to and from Mendenhall was amazing. I would do it again with no qualms.

Mendenhall was stunning. Don’t miss this excursion. Very pricey, but so worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP. I was scared as well when we went to land on Mendenhall Glacier via Helicopter. We booked off ship. The helicopter ride to and from Mendenhall was amazing. I would do it again with no qualms.

Mendenhall was stunning. Don’t miss this excursion. Very pricey, but so worth it.

I agree! I don't like to fly and have had an anxiety attack once before, many years ago. Although I still do it because I also realize the safety record is excellent. The other good thing is I take photos, so it distracts me. We went all over above Mendenhall and it was amazing!! It was totally worth the money and a once in a lifetime thing for us!

28794702005_8d903b9617.jpg

28794824635_ee3506d772.jpg

28179801093_70b1750fb4.jpg

28794825365_d768482b84.jpg

During a Millennium cruise a few years ago, we flew in a helicopter out of Juneau to the Taku Glacier, I think it was called. (Exact information not well recalled at the moment - senioritis?) The pilot was actually a childhood friend of mine! Landed and got to walk among the blueish water puddles; an experience of a lifetime, even though we lived in Alaska for three years some 40 years ago. Scenery to and from the glacier was incredible, and were also were able to see sheep and a bear from above amid the waterfalls, mountains, and valleys.

Don't miss it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Don’t you go dog sledding on another glacier (sorry I don’t remember its name). I feel scared too when think of it.

If I mother could not go for it. I might go alone but would feel lonely? :( While the others have their parties, especially I am Asian and do not speak and listen English well.

During a Millennium cruise a few years ago, we flew in a helicopter out of Juneau to the Taku Glacier, I think it was called. (Exact information not well recalled at the moment - senioritis?) The pilot was actually a childhood friend of mine! Landed and got to walk among the blueish water puddles; an experience of a lifetime, even though we lived in Alaska for three years some 40 years ago. Scenery to and from the glacier was incredible, and were also were able to see sheep and a bear from above amid the waterfalls, mountains, and valleys.

Don't miss it!

Oh!!!!! You live there and still feel it incredible. So what i would feel! I saw snow just twice in my life ^^

• 2 weeks later...
Nice picture. So glad you decided to go. Were you scared? How about your Mom? What this out of Juneau?

This was in Denali. When I booked, i was not scared but i was when on plane, lol. I booked via the McKinley hotel. I asked a lot regarding my mother’s issue. I even showed my mom to the staff. He said that the pilot could help but in fact it was not so. The staff also called Fly Denali to confirm if there would be some helps for my mother to land on glacier. This was so expensive tour, much more expensive than K2 but we were inDenali.

When landing, my mother could not bend her body and her legs. The pilot said she just stayed on plane, but i was not consent. I think the pilot should help. I was about crying and started being angry. Then the pilot said “ I will find the way out”. He asked another pilot to help and take a seat off so that there would be more space. I feel another pilot so nice and did not hesitate to help. Two pilots helped hold her arms each side while I helped her on the plane to slide her bump down. I took the things available to support her bump.

I did not have much time on glacier. I did not notice actually how long we flew and landed on glacier. The pilot said as my mom needs more time to get in, so we need to go back early.I feel really appreciate another guy in my trip. He helped a lot. He was just a customer like me.

At the end of the tours, my mom really liked it. But she said she felt scared too. I was sitting alone in the back and that i could take both side of views[emoji4] maybe I am the smallest one.

Anyway i dare not go on helicopter as i feel it is fragile. That was just my feeling.

Honestly, i did not understand what the pilot narrated at all [emoji23]

I could communicate if not long speech or long narration.

I feel like my mother liked my pilot very much, haha. If he is single, maybe she would ask me to hit on him,lol[emoji38][emoji16]

I understand. If you know what glacier you landed on, that is what you will remember years from now. All the small things won't really matter.

Yes it was Ruth glacier, the pilot explained at the end.

I was glad to have things done. I feel more relaxed now.

My pilot asked for my email to explain the things after the tour ended too.

Thank you [emoji120]