Family Veranda Choice

BosoxI

We have a choice of a Summit cabin FV 8183 or 9156 which I believe is under the Ocean View bar but on the outside. Opinions would be greatly appreciated

These are my favorite cabins but I wouldn’t be under the bar unless there was no other choice. The balconies are awesome!!!

I think they're better than some suites!

Thanks to all of you for your good advice. I have made the switch to 9156, DW is less enthusiastic than I, so my fingers are slightly crossed.;)

Thanks to all of you for your good advice. I have made the switch to 9156, DW is less enthusiastic than I, so my fingers are slightly crossed.;)

The balcony will win her over. And the fact that you each have your own closet. AND, you can still open the bathroom door when the closet doors are open. Seriously, I moved from a royal suite to a corner FV and liked it better. Obviously, that was before the current suite program.

Seriously, I moved from a royal suite to a corner FV and liked it better. Obviously, that was before the current suite program.

Personally, not sure I would go that far. LOVE the balcony on the corner FV - but I have to say I was truly spoiled by the royal suite.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

We are back from the cruise on the Summit and I want to thank all who encouraged me to take 9156. I don't think I've ever had a better cabin in any class. It was simply magnificent. The balcony was huge and really quite private as only the far end could be viewed from above. We actually had breakfast there most days, something we rarely do in other cabins/verandas.

The service on board was excellent, the crew friendly and helpful.. Our one meal in Tuscan was simply excellent in every way, save the temperature of the red wine. The ship will have a much needed refurbishment next year but it was clean and everything seemed in good working order. Two comedians were very amusing and the other entertainers provided the usual screaming performances.

I have expanded this post because I want to touch on the one negative we encountered. The food was very bad in the MDR and the buffet; in 70 cruises I don't believe I've ever had worst. Poorly seasoned, bland, tasteless. Typically overcooked, dry items on the buffet. The head chef is Indian and I would have thought he would be a master of properly seasoned food. Not so. I jokingly told my wife the hors d'oeuvres in the Elite lounge would be the best food we would eat that night. Sadly, that was more truth than poetry. Even the curry sauce at one meal was lacking taste. Not to belabor the point but the poor quality of food kept this from being a wonderful cruise.

When you are sitting (not standing) on your corner FV, can you see anything but the white wall?

I am 6'5" so keep that in mind. When I sat at the table in the chair nearest the sliding door, I could easily see over the aft wall. Naturally, I was seeing the wake further from the ship. Looking to the side where there is no solid wall was not an issue, of course. I don't doubt that a person of average height would also see the wake, though it would be even further out than my view. Not an issue, I would think. My wife originally had reservations but after seeing the layout, she fell in love with the cabin. I would take it over an S1 on the Solstice class any day.

I am 6'5" so keep that in mind. When I sat at the table in the chair nearest the sliding door, I could easily see over the aft wall. Naturally, I was seeing the wake further from the ship. Looking to the side where there is no solid wall was not an issue, of course. I don't doubt that a person of average height would also see the wake, though it would be even further out than my view. Not an issue, I would think. My wife originally had reservations but after seeing the layout, she fell in love with the cabin. I would take it over an S1 on the Solstice class any day.

Personally, the only cabin/balconies that are better than the FVs on M Class are the PH, which is why I think they may be reconfigured after the ‘Revolution’. I really hope they are not touched, but I have a feeling they may turn into suites of some kind :(.

We were in 9156 on Infinity.

The sofa needed replacing, I'm glad we didn't have to sleep on it.

You are correct. The sofas are a bit worn, so DW had the steward cover them with sheets and all was well. Also, we laid on the mattress and found it quite lumpy, so our steward came to the rescue with a new one and the bed was then very comfortable. We really loved that cabin.

Regarding noise from above, I am a light sleeper, waking early and going to bed late. I heard scraping for just a few seconds around 6:30 AM and again around 11:30 PM. Just very briefly. My wife sleeps well and was never disturbed.

Believe me, they could drag chairs for an hour each day and I would still want that cabin. We were originally assigned an FV next to a corner FV and were thankful we made the switch as those got no sun most of the time while we had a choice of sun or shade. 9156 made up for the less than good food in the MDR:cool: