Equinox - World Clas Bar

Jbrattoncruise

On the Equinox in January. We adopted the World Class as "our" bar. Only my husband drinks martinis, so we preferred World Class to Martini Bar. I tried about half of their specialty drinks. I liked the mojito take-off, but i really liked the Strawberry Fields - looks like a really sweet, girly drink, but actually not too sweet.

Bar was never crowded, often we just sat and talked to bartenders and the other patrons, sitting at the bar. We enjoyed it.

Our experience was less than great. The bar was empty most of the time ( hate sitting at an empty bar), tried a couple of drinks which were just so-so, but the bigger problem was the bartender who acted like he and the World Class Bar were the best thing that ever happened to cruising.

We have spent many hours at the Mocular Bar on previous cruises & loved it-WCB not our thing.

Just got off the Equinox on 5/14.

World Class Bar was just Ok for us. We went there because my husband is a Single Malt drinker and it is one of the few (only?) bars that have Lagavulin. Last cruise it was included in the premium package and was listed shown on a list of what’s included in the premium pkg dated 3/6 that I saw before our cruise. The bartender said it is now a $5 upcharge from premium. Disappointing but didn’t stop him from ordering it...lol.

I tend to be a wine drinker and last cruise I was able to get a glass of wine there to have while my husband had his scotch. This time we were told no wine and they only have the ingredients to make the drinks they have on their menu. I tried the Celebrity No. 10 and it was ok.

Overall the bar just really didn’t fit with our beverage choices so didn’t spend much time there.

Here’s a link to a thread with the menu from last year (start at post 82) that was still current as to the offerings on our cruise. Prices subject to change, of course. https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=53002822&highlight=world+class#post53002822

Our experience was less than great. The bar was empty most of the time ( hate sitting at an empty bar), tried a couple of drinks which were just so-so, but the bigger problem was the bartender who acted like he and the World Class Bar were the best thing that ever happened to cruising.

We have spent many hours at the Mocular Bar on previous cruises & loved it-WCB not our thing.

It may have been the same BT that we had on the Equinox. She is a blond with short hair ( looks like a male and you refer to he). I think she was trained to be part of the Gestapo instead of being a BT. Not a very pleasant or friendly person with a bad attitude. She would not deviate from the drink as others would.

Needless to say we didn’t spend much time there and the bar was never crowded. We only went there when she was on break and that BT seemed to act as if she was under the monocle of the other one.

I think that she purposely drove people away. People would come up to asking for other drinks and she would tell them that it was the World Class Bar and she only served what was on the menu. No other explanations or suggestions of other places like others would give. Other BTs would be helpful and give them suggestions where to go for what they wanted, explain the WCB to them and then invite them to try a drink and many would.

On other ships and our recent cruise the BTs were great, friendly and accommodating. They would substituted bourbon for scotch to make the old fashion, and etc, make special drinks that they created or want you to try. The bar and area was usually full and everyone was having a great time and I am sure that the BTs were extra compensated for their efforts.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Ooooh! We're sailing on the Equinox on 6/23 and those drinks look right up our alley!

I also love that they tell you the exact recipe... I may have to try my hand at making some of those in advance ;-)

The review that I posted the link to was a great help with planning our cruise. It has pretty much every menu (bars and restaurants) that there is! The Martini Bar menu lists ingredients for those drinks as well. Didn’t think I liked martinis and turns out I do! Just maybe not “regular” ones (or as my husband says “real” ones).

We plan to try making some of the drinks listed from WCB as well as the Martini Bar over the summer!

Enjoy your cruise!

The review that I posted the link to was a great help with planning our cruise. It has pretty much every menu (bars and restaurants) that there is! The Martini Bar menu lists ingredients for those drinks as well. Didn’t think I liked martinis and turns out I do! Just maybe not “regular” ones (or as my husband says “real” ones).

We plan to try making some of the drinks listed from WCB as well as the Martini Bar over the summer!

Enjoy your cruise!

Can you share this link? I would love to see the review! (Sorry if that’s a silly request, I’m not very message board savvy...;p). Thanks!

On the Eclipse the past couple of weeks, my DH and I stopped by on the way to the theater. I had a coconut based drink...???, which tasted like a non-frozen Pina Colada. I really enjoyed it as an after dinner drink.

The bar tender recommended something for my DH. Unfortunately, the drink ended up being undrinkable for him. :(

It might be just us but we truly enjoy World Class Bar. No where near as noisy and crowded as the Martini Bar before dinner. The drinks are somewhat limited, are really creative, but expensive unless you have a beverage package.

I really enjoyed WCB however DW was less enthused as she tends to prefer sweeter drinks. I am a big rum fan and the Zacapa Old Fashoned they serve is one of my favorite drinks on board.

Can you share this link? I would love to see the review! (Sorry if that’s a silly request, I’m not very message board savvy...;p). Thanks!
Here’s the link starting from page 1. https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2494703&highlight=world+class The review caught my eye because it was the same cruise from last year that we would be on this year. One of the best and most complete reviews I think I’ve read!

Enjoy!

It may have been the same BT that we had on the Equinox. She is a blond with short hair ( looks like a male and you refer to he). I think she was trained to be part of the Gestapo instead of being a BT. Not a very pleasant or friendly person with a bad attitude. She would not deviate from the drink as others would.

Needless to say we didn’t spend much time there and the bar was never crowded. We only went there when she was on break and that BT seemed to act as if she was under the monocle of the other one.

I think that she purposely drove people away. People would come up to asking for other drinks and she would tell them that it was the World Class Bar and she only served what was on the menu. No other explanations or suggestions of other places like others would give. Other BTs would be helpful and give them suggestions where to go for what they wanted, explain the WCB to them and then invite them to try a drink and many would.

On other ships and our recent cruise the BTs were great, friendly and accommodating. They would substituted bourbon for scotch to make the old fashion, and etc, make special drinks that they created or want you to try. The bar and area was usually full and everyone was having a great time and I am sure that the BTs were extra compensated for their efforts.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

That's pretty standard for the world class bar (and prior molecular bar). They only serve the cocktails on the menu and don't have wine or beer. They usually won't deviate from the menu either. They also have thier personalities removed although once they get to know you they do usually lighten up. I like the bar and the drinks so I spend a fair bit of time there most cruises. It's never a busy bar, I think the location has a lot to do with that and the fact that all the drinks are premium (or higher).

My favorites are the Zacapa old fashioned, the Buck stops here and the Johnny Walker citrus gold. There are some great cocktails in Sushi on 5 too and I think all of them are covered under the classic package. I think the one I like there is called the Agave sunrise, but all the ones I've tried in there were vary good.

Can you have drinks only at sushi on five?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I don't see why not, but we always have an appetizer or two (or a full blown meal). I've never tried just ordering a drink. However on the S-class ships the drinks are made at the World Class Bar. If the bartender likes you, he/she might make you one. I've found after a few tips and they are much more likely to be persuaded to make them.

We love the WCB but have mixed opinions, the quality and attention to detail are the differing factors for us. Our first 2 trips were great, last cruise the cocktails were different in taste every time and missing ingredients. They were making other cocktails (Moscow mule for me), but we ended up spending most of our time at other bars rather than all of our time at the WCB.

We came away disappointed and are hoping for better things this next cruise (possibly our last Celebrity cruise).

Can you have drinks only at sushi on five?

The WCB BTs make the drinks for Sushi on 5 and a few cruises ago the WCB BTs were very friendly and accommodating and made me a few drinks from there. I wasn’t that impressed with any of them. Different cruise, ship and BTs so I thought that I would try them again.

I asked the host/Manager if I could just order a drink and was told no because they are a restaurant and not a bar. I probably could have asked to be seated, ordered a drink and then decide not to dine there but didn’t want to push it. It wasn’t worth being put on their black list.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

I agree that the Zacapa Old Fashioned is my favorite too! In March on Solstice the WCB was pretty active around the dinner seating times but not as crowded and loud as the Martini Bar. The WCB bartenders on Solstice were awesome.

Same!

I've really enjoyed the World Class Bar, probably because it is a little quieter, and there are some nice twists on classic cocktails (Zacapa Old Fashioned being my favorite). But it is an odd concept where it sits, on a cruise ship where you can get almost anything at almost any bar, except that one!

We've found that if you stop by most nights, the bartenders become friendlier. We've had one on one cruise who would walk around the corner (Sushi on 5, I assume) and get my wife a glass of wine.

The martini bar does little or nothing for me, personally. The one time I went there, I ordered a dry martini and was asked what vodka...

We adored the Molecular Bar, spent many comfortable evenings there; however, the World Class Bar hasn’t captured our liking yet, we’ll continue to try tho