Bed wetting

blitznbobs

I'm due to go on a cruise later this year and my 5 year old wets the bed and doesn't wake up. If I put those diaper like pants on him he leaks round them

at home this isn't much of an issue as we can use a waterproof under sheet and change his bed as necessary but I can see this being an issue on vacation.

Any ideas or has anyone dealt with this on vacation...

I think this article is really helpful, especially the bit about constipation.

http://www.parents.com/kids/sleep/bed-wetting/best-bedwetting-solutions/

I haven't dealt with your issue but I had my own bleeding issue (unexpected period) and I was so embarrassed. I did my own sheets! I wasn't going to leave that mess for the room attendant.

I think you should just come armed with the underpants and absorbent pads. If the top sheets get dirty then I would wash them myself if possible- so that the room steward doesn't have to deal with it but I'm sure they have seen worse.

I was "in the same boat" a few years ago... I even asked NCL if they had a waterproof mattress topper (they did not).... I brought the disposable pads to stick under her and that worked well. It ended up that she only "went" one of the nights, but I was pretty worried. Good luck- when I was researching this, I was really surprised that there isn't more discussion about it, or more options from the cruiselines. I can imagine it happens more than people think (perhaps even with both ends of the life continuum!). The other surprising thing I found was that when I posted the question on here, I got a lot of presumably well meaning people who responded that I should tell my daughter than unless she learns not to do it, she can't go on fancy trips. As though she's doing it on purpose!! That really annoyed me!

• Like 1

You might want to ask the steward to bring an extra set of sheets for her bed to leave in the room so you can change them yourself if she needs dry sheets in the middle of the night. If you are worried about the steward finding the sheets, you could take them off the bed yourself in the morning and leave them on the bathroom floor so he knows to change the sheets.

You could try what I do with my son: 3 hours (give or take) after I put him to bed, I scoop him off the bed, carry him into the bathroom, stand him in front of the toilet, and let him do his thing. This is in addition to wearing pull-ups. He pumps enough out during his bathroom visit that the pull-up is able to contain whatever else comes later on during the night. I haven't had to deal with wet sheets in quite some time now.

On our first cruise with kids (ages 2 and 3 1/2), the kids were potty trained by day but still had to wear pull-ups at night. We did fine with the night, however, the kids each had an accident during naps. They would fall asleep on the way back from the beach and we just laid them in bed thinking that they wouldn't nap much longer. We should have learned after the first accident, but ended up with one more accident. Needless to say, we were really embarrassed but our room steward made us feel like it was no big deal. He changed the sheets right away and we gave him an extra tip and thank you that night. Anyway, long story just to let you know that we've been there and everything worked out okay. I'm sure they've seen worse and they've always been great with our kids.

My kids had to wear some type of nighttime undergarment till they were quite a bit older than most kids even though we tried many things to night train them. My pediatrician said that it's much more prevalent and common than parents talk about. I found that the older child "pull-ups" like "Pampers Underjams" or "Goodnights underpants" work much better than the toddler training pants. "Goodnights" also makes disposable bed mats that would be very easy to pack.

Hope you you have a wonderful time on your vacation!

My son also has this issue. I told the room attendant and had them make the kids beds up with a trash bag under an extra sheet. That way clean up would be easier. Worked for us for 15 nights.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Forums mobile app

i would bring basically puppy pads, absorbent pads that u can put under or over sheet. then throw away. dont worry too much, im sure theyve seen it all. i'm goin with my fresh 3yo. so im sure it will be much the same, my older DD is ok now :) lol. i used to buy the bigger kid undie type diapers. and cut off liquids right after dinner, etc.

I'm due to go on a cruise later this year and my 5 year old wets the bed and doesn't wake up. If I put those diaper like pants on him he leaks round them

at home this isn't much of an issue as we can use a waterproof under sheet and change his bed as necessary but I can see this being an issue on vacation.

Any ideas or has anyone dealt with this on vacation...

Yes, you can purchase a waterproof mattress cover and take along with you. That's what I would do...

i would bring basically puppy pads, absorbent pads that u can put under or over sheet. then throw away. dont worry too much, .

This is exactly what I did - got the largest size avail. And they have dealt with it all, so don't worry. As long as you're taking steps to do your best, they'll handle the rest. I agree with asking for an extra sheet to have in the cabin in case you need to change it at night, and strip the sheet yourself if you need it to be changed by the steward - sometimes they're in a hurry and may not notice while they make the bed.

All the best,

Mia

They see it all so don't be embarrassed! I was pregnant on one of our cruises and I puked all over the bed and floor, lucky cabin Stewart, haha. She actually got me a drink and trash can before worrying at all about the huge mess I had made. I'm sure drunk adults have peed the bed for their cabin Stewart etc. have a great time.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

My son wet the bed at night until shortly after his 8th birthday. We've been on many vacations, and always used Goodnights and had no issues with leaking. Regular pullups don't have the same absorbency. (They are a little more expensive, but they work better.) If your child is leaking through the Goodnights, then I would recommend bringing the disposable mattress pads. And if they leak through to the sheets, too, don't feel bad! I am sure that the housekeeping staff will be very understanding of the situation. (Although, they might appreciate a bigger tip if they are changing urine-riddled sheets all week.) :p

With regard to "remedies", it's important to remember that in most cases, this is normal and the child will simply outgrow it - eventually. We never tried the bed-wetting alarm or medication, but we did try limiting fluid intake after 6 PM and waking our son up in the middle of the night and having him use the toilet. Even so, every morning he would have a wet diaper. Then one day, shortly after his 8th birthday, he decided he didn't want to wear diapers anymore. I don't know how it happened, but shortly after that, he was waking up dry. The only change he made was to start to go to the bathroom twice (at the suggestion of his pediatrician.) He would go before getting ready for bed, and then about 10 minutes later he would go again (he calls it his "second pee" LOL!) For some reason, this worked, and has continued to work for about 6 months now.

• 2 weeks later...
i would bring basically puppy pads, absorbent pads that u can put under or over sheet. then throw away.

Ditto, this along with larger sized pull ups as well as wool pants.

Are you familiar with wool pants?

They absorb liquid almost as good as the Pull Up. Combined with a Pull Up the chances that you will have a leak are really slim. My son used to wear cloth diapers and we'd put him in a will pant at night. He'd pee like a racehorse and only a couple times was there even a tiny wet spot on the bed. Wool keeps stuff in!

The good ones are usually home made, I've bought from E bay and Etsy. Be sure to lanolin them first. If you sew you can make them out of old sweaters (must be a minimum of 80% wool)

We're in the same boat here with my 6 year old. And going swimming makes it worse so I worry on vacation. Can't believe they don't have waterproof mattress pads...we used puppy pads before but they shift around. Will try the goodnight ones.

My son is tube fed at night, so he always leaks. We get disposable incontinence pads from our provider (if your child is over 3, many insurance companies will cover incontinence supplies including bed pads).

If you are still paying for pull ups for a child that old, you might check with your doc and insurance company and find out if your doc can write a script for bed pads/pull ups. It saved us a ton.

Had this problem on our first cruise. I forgot the Underjams that I usually take with us when we travel. Left them right next to where the suitacase had been. I did have the medicine that has always worked in the past so I gave it to my 10 year old son. It didn't work. The bed was soaked. I just felt terrible. I apologized profusely to the room attendant and she was very sweet about it. I did leave her a larger tip than recommended.

In my defense, I had tried the evening before to get a mattress pad for the mattess but apparently plastic pads are not something the ships carry, not much plastic at all. I noticed there were no liners in the trash cans. I talked to the clinic. They had no pads. The diapers in the ship store were for babies. So the next day when we got into Nassau I asked for the location of a pharmacy. I wandered the streets trying to find it after checking in the grocery store and talking to people about where I could find diapers/underjams.

My bags are packed for our next cruise and the undrejams are packed. This time I also have a brand new shower curtain liner packed to put on the bed under the sheets.BTW, the pharmacy (can't remember the name) up the road from the ships in Nassau does carry Depends, which also work for kids. They were pricey but I was so relieved when I found them. Next day in Nassau I do something other than search for diapers!

Edited by naja321

• 1 year later...
What size should we get? We will be in a 5 berth room. He maybe sleeping on a pullman or sofa...not sure the exact sleeping arrangements yet. I was guessing a full or twin?.?

I would go with the disposable ones. You probably won't have a good way to wash it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with the disposable pads. When DD was training we used Goodnight bed mats. It's amazing how much they hold. I just put them over the sheets. Each corner has a stick down. If it doesn't get wet just leave it on for the next night. They are really compact too so easy to pack.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Your cabin attendant has seen it all...no worries. No embarassment. NO WASHING YOUR OWN SHEETS! Jeez!

If the child wets the bed thru a diaper...so be it. Do NOT worry about this!

Yep. I had a humiliating unexpected bleeding issue (it looked like someone had been murdered in my bed) a few years ago on a solo cruise. I felt terrible, but my cabin steward didn't even blink.

DH's work put us up in a apartment-type hotel for 6 weeks when my kids were 7. They occasionally wet the bed at this stage. I asked housekeeping for a mattress pad for their bed because I felt so bad and they seriously did not care at all. I really would not worry about it at all. Bring an overnight disposable if you think your child will be comfortable wearing it - but if they put up a fuss, just leave a note for your steward to change the sheets because they are soiled.