Tracy Arm - which vendor?

sheff29

We currently have a car rental reservation for Juneau to do our own exploring (have been compiling a list of places to visit), but am told that a trip to Tracy Arm is a must do. We are on the Celebrity Infinity end of July, it does not make a stop in Tracy Arm, we would take a full round trip from Juneau. Our port time is 7:30am-8:00pm.

We generally like to take private non-ship sponsored excursions, mostly to support local tour operators. That being said, we may do the Celebrity excursion anyway. Just need to hear thoughts or give validation to plan....

Celebrity excursion says "kaltian express" which makes me think it is the vendor named "Allen Marine". The price is $239pp and runs 7 hours, providing transp to dock. We would be assured timely return since cruise sponsored trip. Just not sure how many people onboard, seating too tight?

The other operator is Adventure Bound, local operator, runs a 10 hour trip at $162pp, this seems more personal, maybe less people, not sure about transportation to dock (waiting for email back). Problem here is they depart at 7:45am, afraid we won't make it in time. Also, if too long (10 hrs), we may not have time for downtown time (Red Dog and Tracy King Crab).

Any thoughts?

Also, if anyone has personal experience.... are the interiors on these boats comfortable, seating bathrooms? and are the waters fairly calm or rocky, any seasickness? Can you bring your own small snacks aboard?

I've gone out with Adventure Bound a half dozen times and am booked again in May. Give them a call and tell them what ship you are on and they will work with you. They can leave a bit after 8am if they know you are coming. 7:30am arrival should be no problem.

Seating is OK, several benches 3 across the some facing each other with a table in the middle. Aft section seats about 24, then the bathrooms and main cabin another 24 or so. I've usually had 24-36 passengers aboard, never really totally full. They have a small snack bar selling candy, soda, coffee and some sandwiches but have no problem with you bringing food aboard (remember you can't take anything off your cruise ship except packaged food) I usually just bring some candy bars, chips and bottled water.

It is a long day so bring a book or something to amuse yourself if you don't like watching all the beautiful scenery. I've never had any problem with rough seas but remember you are in a relatively small boat and could encounter some.

Great trip and highly recommended but you won't return to Juneau until about 6pm so won't have time for much else. Previous years they departed very close to the Red Dog and Tracys but this year I'm told they will have a new location but they didn't know where yet.

AdventureBound sells sandwiches and drinks at reasonable prices. Honestly they could charge 2x as much as you are a captive audience but they don't. They have deli meat and cheese (plus lettuce, tomato, etc..) and will make a sandwich for you.

You can bring food with you - they don't care. This tour is mostly attended by locals and on my first trip with them, 2 families brought lunch baskets.

Their ship is comfortable, not luxurious but it is fine.

As Doug mentioned, if you call/email them, they will wait for you as long as your ship gets in by 8 or so. Just tell them what ship you are on. You may want to give them your cell - they called me the day of the tour before I got off saying they would pick me up at the pier. I had turned on my cell right after we docked. They are very flexible. Excellent tour.

It is not a "must do". First question- are YOU interested in an all day boat tour, close up ice/glacier viewing, some wildlife? If not, then go with what your priority is.

I have gone with both vendors and certainly both excellent. However, what you need to realize is TIME is the significant factor here. The longer you are out- equals the more you see. :)

I've used the ship tours, only when necessary with a Tracy Arm schedule pick up/drop off.

With your port time, you have a very significant advantage to go with Adventure Bound.

Determine how best to spend your day, lots of choices. :)

We booked with Celebrity, using Allen Marine a Tours. I spoke with Cassandra, she was really great in answering questions and we are very excited to see the glaciers from their boat. FYI in case anyone else was wondering... The round trip uses a 40 person 65 foot boat, much smaller than the one way trips. Thanks for all of the responses to my original post.

• 11 months later...

I realize this is an older post, but I'm trying to determine why the significant price difference between Allen Marine and Adventure Bound? It appears whether you book Allen Marine through the ship as an excursion or directly with them, it's the same price $239 versus Adventure Bound at $162.

I realize this is an older post, but I'm trying to determine why the significant price difference between Allen Marine and Adventure Bound? It appears whether you book Allen Marine through the ship as an excursion or directly with them, it's the same price $239 versus Adventure Bound at $162.

I would guess Allen Marine has a contract with the ship and agrees to not undercut the ship’s price. Adventure Bound seems to be a small, privately owned company without as much overhead.

We used Adventure Bound last May and I highly recommend them. It is a long day, but was a great trip. We let them know what ship we were on, so they were aware we were coming and it would be close on time. We made it in plenty of time prior to departure and were back prior to 6:00 PM.

Depending on where your ship docks in Juneau, it may be a short walk to Adventure Bound’s office or you may need to grab a cab. You can check your docking location at the link below (subject to change of course):

http://claalaska.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/Juneau-–-JNU-2018.pdf

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Adventure Bound moved their pier last year. It is not close to their office. Not sure if it is moving again this year.

I also highly recommend Adventure Bound. For the price - - it is a great tour. There is no reason to go to their office unless you haven't bought tickets. I brought people with me once and they paid with out going to the office.

Adventure Bound moved their pier last year. It is not close to their office. Not sure if it is moving again this year.

In May 2017, we went to an office at 76 Eagan Dr and they checked us in and walked us to the boat docked directly behind the office. Maybe they moved their docking location after that or that is not the office location now.

In May 2017, we went to an office at 76 Eagan Dr and they checked us in and walked us to the boat docked directly behind the office. Maybe they moved their docking location after that or that is not the office location now.

They moved their dock - map:

https://www.adventureboundalaska.com/rates-reservations/

That is exactly where we went in May. We met in the office and walked directly behind the office to board the boat and that is where they dropped us of when returning. Our ship docked at the pier close to their office, so it was maybe a 7-8 minute walk. Maybe they brought the boat from where the normally dock to the office?

Their original pier was right next to their office. They moved last year. I have never had to go to their office before --- I knew where it was. They have picked me up several times from my ship when they used their old pier. Other times, I walked directly to the pier. No need to go to the office. I thought I heard they had to move their dock on Franklin Street. Maybe they use multiple docks.

Their original pier was right next to their office. They moved last year. I have never had to go to their office before --- I knew where it was. They have picked me up several times from my ship when they used their old pier. Other times, I walked directly to the pier. No need to go to the office. I thought I heard they had to move their dock on Franklin Street. Maybe they use multiple docks.

I can only speak to our experience. We were pre-paid, but the confirmation said to meet at the office. Both of their boats were used that day and we boarded directly behind the office. It wasn’t a long walk, but had we been docked at another pier, we would have been rushed to get there.

AdventureBound - I haven't been to their office either. The timing is usually very close, they are waiting for me. I have gone directly to their boat or had the wife pick me up at my ship and drive me to the pier. I have also brought people with me who were not booked and they called their CC # into the main office. They are easy to work with.

FYI, per their website, adventure bound boards at 8:15 and departs at 8:30

I think this year, they are leaving later (the times you posted). In the past, it said they left at 8. I spoke with Winona a few months ago.

If you call them and your ship gets in at 8, they most likely will work with you. They do want to know what ship you are on.

• 2 months later...
I think this year, they are leaving later (the times you posted). In the past, it said they left at 8. I spoke with Winona a few months ago.

If you call them and your ship gets in at 8, they most likely will work with you. They do want to know what ship you are on.

According to their website (Adventure Bound) they are departing at 8:30am and return at 6:00pm.

We'll be on Westerdam with an 8:00am arrival and 6:00pm departure. I assume a 6:00pm ship's departure time means 5:30pm all aboard time? Realize there are no guarantees, but safe to assume we'll be out of luck booking with Adventure Bound?

According to their website (Adventure Bound) they are departing at 8:30am and return at 6:00pm.

We'll be on Westerdam with an 8:00am arrival and 6:00pm departure. I assume a 6:00pm ship's departure time means 5:30pm all aboard time? Realize there are no guarantees, but safe to assume we'll be out of luck booking with Adventure Bound?

That would be cutting it to close for me to go on that excursion.

I would say no - you can always call and confirm.