What to do in Cartagena Columbia

mnlovesdisney

We are going on a cruise that stops in Cartagena from 7:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. We leave in 9 days and as such in looking at excursion they are basically all sold out already and even if they weren't nothing looked like a good fit for us. My questions are mainly how much walking would be involved to go to various spots on your own (walled/old city, the fort, inquisition palace, etc.) and how safe is it to explore on your own? If you take taxi's how much are they and again how safe? With such a short stop I certainly don't want to risk not getting back to the ship on time not being on a ship excursion. Thanks for help on this. I'm just very unsure about what I want to do in Cartagena. We are in our 50s so amount of walking and exertion levels do matter. Thanks for any information.

It is too far to walk from the ship to old town. It is $20 taxi fare each way (ask for the clock tower). The traffic is heavy, but the journey is about 15 mins. Didn't feel unsafe at all.

Does your cruise ship have hop on hop off tickets for sale? I would do that. Cartagena is great, we loved old town, but you really don't have long to enjoy it.

We are going on a cruise that stops in Cartagena from 7:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. We leave in 9 days and as such in looking at excursion they are basically all sold out already and even if they weren't nothing looked like a good fit for us. My questions are mainly how much walking would be involved to go to various spots on your own (walled/old city, the fort, inquisition palace, etc.) and how safe is it to explore on your own? If you take taxi's how much are they and again how safe? With such a short stop I certainly don't want to risk not getting back to the ship on time not being on a ship excursion. Thanks for help on this. I'm just very unsure about what I want to do in Cartagena. We are in our 50s so amount of walking and exertion levels do matter. Thanks for any information.

Why dont you ask in your roll call there maybe someone who has looked into taxis and maybe would like to share.

If you are interested in Birds Monkeys and a few other odd animals there is a small park area with

flamingoes peacocks toucans parrots and a lot of other birds just on the dock. We went on the ship walking trip to the old town first time we went - It was very good but once was enough. You dont see this park when you go out on the trips or take the free dock shuttle to the main dock entrance but someone mentioned it and we went last time we were there.

You walk through an open area then go through the shop and out the other side

Think we spent an hour there but a keen photographer could spend a couple of hours easily and the shop is good( cooll!!) and there is a cafe.

We went with Marelvy Pena-Hall a couple of years ago. It was around $65 per person for a 4 hour tour. I think there were 10 or 12 of us. I don't know if she'd be booked up already, but you could touch base with her. You don't have to set it up privately - she may have a bus or two coming to the pier anyway that you could join in on (making arrangements ahead of time, of course). We had an amazing time with her. It wasn't too much walking, but it also wasn't too much sitting on a bus.

http://www.tourincartagena.com

Why dont you ask in your roll call there maybe someone who has looked into taxis and maybe would like to share.

If you are interested in Birds Monkeys and a few other odd animals there is a small park area with

flamingoes peacocks toucans parrots and a lot of other birds just on the dock. We went on the ship walking trip to the old town first time we went - It was very good but once was enough. You dont see this park when you go out on the trips or take the free dock shuttle to the main dock entrance but someone mentioned it and we went last time we were there.

You walk through an open area then go through the shop and out the other side

Think we spent an hour there but a keen photographer could spend a couple of hours easily and the shop is good( cooll!!) and there is a cafe.

Is

Are the animals right by the pier? We are going on NCL in may to cartagena and would love to see this. Ty

We went with Marelvy Pena-Hall a couple of years ago. It was around $65 per person for a 4 hour tour. I think there were 10 or 12 of us. I don't know if she'd be booked up already, but you could touch base with her. You don't have to set it up privately - she may have a bus or two coming to the pier anyway that you could join in on (making arrangements ahead of time, of course). We had an amazing time with her. It wasn't too much walking, but it also wasn't too much sitting on a bus.

http://www.tourincartagena.com

Sent from my SM-T580 using Forums mobile app

Thanks for tips and information. I'm not sure what we're doing yet but it won't be a ship excursion as all the good ones are full. We will probably decide when we get off the ship. Are there shopping areas walking distance if we just end up looking for souvenirs and then going back to the ship. I hate to waste all that history (I love history) but I think we simply waited too long to figure it out.

• 2 weeks later...

There isn't anything to walk to in the port other than the shop at the port next to the garden/park with the birds. The shop had coffee for twice the price in town and Molas were $28 - I got them in town for $10 to $15. Check with others on your thread to see if anyone is using the private tours - especially Dora Cartagena Tours. We were there last week and really enjoyed the tour.

• 2 weeks later...