Caveat emptor

redpetronella

We have recently returned from our 6th Olsen cruise. Sadly it will be our last. We booked two back to back cruises - Mauritius to Mauritius and Mauritius to Cape Town. Very early on the first cruise passengers were openly offered the opportunity to stay on for the second cruise at a price which was one third of what we had paid. Needless to say those to took up the offer were delighted and flaunted their success to those of us who had paid full price. I expressed my anger whilst on board but was told all I could do was to write to head office when we got home. I did this and was told that by paying full price we were able to choose our cabin which was considered a great benefit!

I appreciate that cruise lines must be free to discount unsold cabins but the I believe that this gap in price is unacceptable, the way in which it was done is insulting to loyal passengers and the justification for what happened does not stand up to scrutiny.

I can certainly imagine why you would be upset and angry. It’s important to me to be able to choose my cabin as I can suffer sea sickness and I like a quiet space and I nice balcony, but I wouldn’t expect to pay 2/3 more.

Fred does this a lot whilst you are on their ships. Not knowing the prices is it possible in this case that some of the difference was down to the flights. The second cruise would have been offered at a cruise only fare as the passengers had already paid for the flight in the first cruise.

Yes it is really annoying and it's becoming more regular. We have a similar situation with a cruise we have not even been on yet with a better price and benefits none of which we got when booking at the brochure launch.

We have another booked where the price is the same (at the moment) but the extras much better for newer bookers.

I am actually considering just cancelling and taking the hit in the deposits.

Choice of cabin is a very small perk when compared to the kind of discount you are describing.

I am actually considering just cancelling and taking the hit in the deposits.

Choice of cabin is a very small perk when compared to the kind of discount you are describing.

I saw this as when I booked I got "Gratuities included" and now offering "free drinks package" instead. On a 15 night cruise, the difference is £330 for 2 people.

But if I cancel my deposit was £1,200.

Too much to lose to rebook with different benefits but same cruise price and cabins still available.

I also like that they send me an email, and post advertising this offer, knowing that I have already booked.

This will probably be my last Fred Olsen Cruise as well.

We were considering a Fred cruise in late 2018 or early 2019, may not even consider it if this type of thing is a common occurrence.

To be fair about it Fred are not the only cruise line that are up to this kind of thing at the moment. The problem is that they are les than discrete about it so it is blindingly obvious to early bookers that they are much worse off or to those in a situation like the OP described.

Fred Olsen used to be great for price and destinations.

Currently booked a Greenland cruise for 15 days on Boudicca in a Terrace Balcony Suite from Dover and priced up a 14 day on Tui Marella Explorer with flights to the Med in an Executive Suite (top available) and it included all tips and drinks and cost £2,500 less than Fred.

So a newer ship with more facilities and costs so much less to go for the maximum package. Makes you think that Fred can't keep charging higher prices for older ships.

Fred Olsen used to be great for price and destinations.

Currently booked a Greenland cruise for 15 days on Boudicca in a Terrace Balcony Suite from Dover and priced up a 14 day on Tui Marella Explorer with flights to the Med in an Executive Suite (top available) and it included all tips and drinks and cost £2,500 less than Fred.

So a newer ship with more facilities and costs so much less to go for the maximum package. Makes you think that Fred can't keep charging higher prices for older ships.

I quite agree with your comments. On the Captains in Cadiz cruise Fred is asking £4599 P/P for a 140 square feet balcony cabin. As much a we have enjoyed cruising with Fred over the years I am not prepared to pay these prices when I can get a superior product for the same or less money on other lines.

No the point is when you book a cruise if you happy with the price, just be happy .

All cruise lines discount prices to fill rooms and it is annoying when you see it cheaper but that is life I am afraid, i also have been on a cruise and been asked to stay on for a nominal fee, which yes I agree is unfair to passageners who have already paid full price , but it's better to have a full ship as the profit is made on what you spend on board and tours.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Forums mobile app

• Like 1

If you really don't care about the cabin choice then stop booking early...

There really is no reason to do anything other than last minute bookings these days for ocean cruises so get out of the habit of early booking and there will be no regrets, as long as that cabin and sitting choice really doesn't matter...

Having booked a balcony cabin on Boudicca for the Baltic in June, I contacted Fred to ask to change cabin. If I had gone with my first alternative choice of a superior outside grade A, which is cheaper (not expecting a refund!), they would have charged £100 admin fee. As I went for a junior suite, they just charged the extra to upgrade. Of course, I was not offered free inclusive drinks, nor any other offer that is now available for new bookings. I am beginning to think that it's better to wait a while and take a chance on cabins.

Of course, I was not offered free inclusive drinks, nor any other offer that is now available for new bookings. I am beginning to think that it's better to wait a while and take a chance on cabins.

The drinks package only has to be ordered 7 days prior to your cruise, It may be that if the deal was offered to include drinks, after booking the cruise but not paying for inclusive, the package may get included if that make sense :evilsmile:. Worth a try.

I guess you feel that the cruise line should just sail with these cabins empty. This really is none of your business but I can see that you seem to be the type of person who can not enjoy themselves if someone else in the room got a better deal. Too bad you are unable to enjoy the travel without dividing it by your dollars.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It's supply and demand and as already mentioned, all cruise companies do it. Some you win, some you lose.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You are of course correct however the demand part of that equation may dry up a bit if enough people get fed up and hold back from making early bookings. This could also affect cash flow for Fred.

Same if people decide to cancel, lose a partial deposit and then rebook with the new better offer. In spite of the T&Cs cruise companies all bandy about they are actually legally only allowed to retain the proportion of a deposit that represents their actual administration fees and any demonstrable loss they incur, particulalry if they go on to sell out the grade - no demonstrable loss.

I guess you feel that the cruise line should just sail with these cabins empty. This really is none of your business but I can see that you seem to be the type of person who can not enjoy themselves if someone else in the room got a better deal. Too bad you are unable to enjoy the travel without dividing it by your dollars.

FO don't charge in Dollars.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

The other cruise lines I've used have also offered unsold cabins at a substantial discount shortly before the cruise, but have then upgraded those passengers who booked early and paid the full price - this happened to me on three occasions even though I was a new customer in all cases.  I know that Fred Olsen does not upgrade, so that you can find people in a better cabin than yours, for a much lower price.  They should rethink this policy, as it is not rewarding loyal customers.  

23 hours ago, MargaretP said:

I know that Fred Olsen does not upgrade

Not true.  We have ourselves been offered an upgrade on a cruise and have heard of many others who have as well and they also often offer reduced price upgrades by ringing round.  We were told by an on board Oceans rep a number of years ago that the priority for upgrade is:-  how early you booked, how much you paid and also if you are a Gold member (at that time gold was the top grade of Oceans).

I have also noticed at times that quite a number of lower grade cabins become available and the higher grade ones disappeared in the space of a day or so, so they must have been upgrading.  We have also had a reduced price upgrade, when we rang to ask about purchasing an upgrade approx two months prior to a cruise which had a lot of spare availability. 

Regards a Mystery cruise we have booked an inside cabin for in April, an inside cabin has again become available, but at a higher price.  We did book when a free drinks offer was on, but it is now being offered with drinks + tips, but the increase in price is more than we will be paying in tips, so effectively the price has gone up, yet we booked on freedom fare.

Basically you pay when you wish at the price that is available then changes are made with all holiday purchases.  It does annoy me that you cannot get a good deal when booking early though, which is offered by some companies, but again you makes your choice and pays your price.  In our case we are tending to book other companies at times, but not all the time, but that is our personal choice.

We have had a good price for booking on board for the next cruise, but that is better than leaving a cabin empty and reducing profits, which would mean other cruises would likely be upped in price to keep the business going.

Edited by tring

• 2 months later...

You should take a look at some of the pricing differences for US cruisers for people 55+ and 55 under... maybe that will make you feel better (if you're over 55, of course).   

Next time you find yourself getting upset about the price difference, I suggest you think of one of these 5 things: 1) all the people in the world, including too many newborns and children, suffering from food insecurity 2) all the people who work 2-3 jobs 365 days a year 3) all the people who are homeless 4) all the cruiseship staff who have left their homelands and families behind to cater to people who are privileged and waste soooo many resources that are precious, and in short supply, in many of their homelands 5) the fact that you could afford to pay the price you paid for a vacation.

We are all exteremely fortunate and it is easy to lose sight of that!  Smooth sailing.

• Like 1