Disney Cruise in Miami - help!!!

skiier353

We are flying into Miami the night before our cruise, staying at a hotel in Miami Beach, and then the next day we'll head over to the port where our Disney cruise departs. We are travelling with our 3 and 5 year old, but am having difficulty figuring out transportation between airport/hotel/cruise port. We did not get Disney ground transportation and our hotel does not have a shuttle service.

Does Uber or Lyft drive kids without car seats? I'm also fine reserving a shuttle and obviously putting regular seat belts on the kids....I just don't want to pay money to reserve transportation and the driver denying us service since we aren't bringing car seats.

Help!!

Have you contacted regular transportation services? Our car transport from heathrow to London and tour operator to Southampton provided us with car seats. I think a larger car service might have car seats available. I’d email them to see. Sorry there was a hotel shuttle in ft Lauderdale so I don’t have any specific recommendations.

In general cabs in nyc, London, Copenhagen and Stockholm would transport us without seatbelts, but all cabs in Norway refused to transport us. There’s just no way to predict if an Uber driver will ahead of time.

Both are required by law to have a car seat. Not sure how that applies to Uber/Shuttles etc.

It is the responsibility of the supervising adult to ensure that any child under 5 years old is seated in a federally-approved child car seat. Failure to do so could result in a $60 fine and 3 points against your driver's license.

Florida law states:

• Children 5 years old or younger must be secured in a federally approved child restraint system:
    • Children 3 years old and younger must use a separate car-seat or the vehicle's built-in child seat.
    • Children 4 through 5 years must sit in either a separate car seat, a built in child seat or a seat belt, depending on the child's height and weight.

[*]Children under 18 years old must be in a seatbelt.

We traveled with a 1 year old and 3 year old and used jiffy Jeff transportation from the airport to our hotel. They provided car seats upon request, even provided a picture of the car seats they would be providing beforehand. They were very efficient, making contact as soon as we landed and were waiting for us as soon as we got our luggage. It was more expensive than Uber but completely worth it to me. We used someone else for our transportation from the port to the airport and I was kicking myself that I didn’t book them for that transportation as well.

Does your cruise line offer a shuttle? It would be a bus, where seats aren't needed....

The OP already said that they opted NOT to go with the DISNEY ground transportation. Read the whole thread and at least the WHOLE first post. :rolleyes:

I just cruised out of Miami on Disney with my 4 and 6 year old in January. I researched before hand and discovered that we didn't need to worry about a seat for my 6-year old as FL's laws are much more liberal than UT's where kids have to be in a booster until they're like 4'11! We brought a backless booster for my 4-year old, which don't take up much room and was really easy to transport. Pretty sure it wasn't charged as checked luggage by delta similar to when you check a stroller (I have the delta cc and don't pay baggage fees, so I'm not positive if I otherwise would have been charged). She is tiny and I don't use it for her at home, but it worked in a pinch. If you

We used uber several times on the trip and none of the drivers asked to verify the age of my daughter without the seat-- they don't care because you would be on the hook if they were pulled over and ticketed. I think that there is a "family" class of Uber which have cars equipped with car seats, but I don't know if they have those in Miami (Orlando for sure). Good luck!:D

• 2 weeks later...

I have used Uber many of times in Miami with our children 10, 4, and 2. They never had carseats and the driver always picked us up. We were most recently in Miami last month for several weeks.

Even if the driver denies you, you are not out money because they only get paid after trip completion. Just request a new driver. The chance they will deny you or ask for proof of your childs age is very unlikely. I have Uber'd all over the US when my children were as young as 3 months without a car seat (no, that did not make me comfortable, but my options were limited on that trip).

I do think Miami offers Family Uber and you can always look into that option... even Uber XL might make you feel more comfortable to get to the ship.

Uber is not exempt from child restraint requirements in FL. If a driver took you w/o the appropriate restraint, they were breaking the law.

You are breaking the law also and being an irresponsible parent if you fail to secure your child in a vehicle.

OP - you can always hire a car service that will provide car seats.

Edited by 6rugrats

As the previous posters mentioned, Uber and Lyft are not exempt from child passenger safety laws in the state of FL. Even if they were, the laws of physics apply in a vehicle crash regardless. You should either bring appropriate car seats from home with you, take a shuttle BUS (not a van) that doesn't require seats, or find a shuttle that provides appropriate child restraints. For a short drive a 5 year old would generally be fine in a backless booster seat that is easily transported from home. A 3 year old belongs in a 5 point harness.

• 4 weeks later...