Picture-A-Week 2018 - Week 18

pierces

I hope I am not breaking with protocol by posting more than one photo of the week, but I shot a lot of photos on my recent New Orleans trip for Jazzfest. I found the artists on Frenchman Street to be good photo subjects.

40988285015_82be0b2c3b_c.jpg

40988284815_fcc6269cf6_c.jpg

28017527268_07c6c6aa62_c.jpg

I hope I am not breaking with protocol by posting more than one photo of the week, but I shot a lot of photos on my recent New Orleans trip for Jazzfest. I found the artists on Frenchman Street to be good photo subjects.

The protocol is very loose. :)

The idea is to get folks out using their cameras for more than vacation and toddler birthdays. I'm personally delighted that this has gone on for as long as it has and people have taken the challenge as often as they do.

BTW, those are great street photos!

Dave

Really nice photos uploaded from everyone. Really puts on display how new I am compared to the quality on display. But these threads have helped me immensely see where I need to improve and aim for, so thank you for that education as well as the wonderful pictures everyone shares.

I decided to finally take my Sony a6000 on one of my hikes yesterday, trying to capture some wildlife using my cheapo E mount 55-210 Lens. Very overcast and only saw the following two subjects that I could focus fast enough to catch..

Not sure of the type of Sparrow I believe this guy is.. Aperture Priority ( ISO 2500...f6.3..1/320)

contentRedirection?querySuffix=%3FviewBox%3D3040%2C1710&ownerId=A27Y2QBGNWZQH9&cb=1525620085111

Chip or Dale, I am unsure... Aperture Priority ( ISO 3200...f6.3...1/320)

contentRedirection?querySuffix=%3FviewBox%3D3040%2C1824&ownerId=A27Y2QBGNWZQH9&cb=1525620613206

Any helpful advice is appreciated, ( especially related to doing better shots in overcast skies without have to do a lot of post shot adjustments)

Thanks again for such great threads.

Edited by seadog67
Picture error loading

Photos generally evoke memories but occasionally memories inspire photos. Lunch with the in-laws triggered one of the latter events. Espiau’s Cantina was originally located on the other side of town near the paper mill where Kim’s father worked for 42 years. One of the perks for working overtime was a “meal ticket” good for dinner at nearby Espiau’s. He would save them up and take the family out for dinner. It was also the location that Kim and I chose for our first dinner date back in 1972. The roughing of the neighborhood caused the closure of the original venue but it lives on co-located with the owner’s sandwich shop restaurant in kinder surroundings. Good tostadas. Better memories.

S-P-O

p2856573643-5.jpg

Dave

Last week I took a class on bird photography, from a fairly well known, at least in this area, outdoor photographer. Mostly about composing and how to get good shots, rather than technical camera information, although there was some of that. On Saturday, we did some field work at a spot on the Wissahickon Creek in Fairmount Park in Philadelphia, a real urban location. We were chasing Wood Ducks. I have only edited a few, but here they are:

Female

Wissahickon%20-429%208X10%20WM.jpg

Probably the same female

Wissahickon%20-146%208X10%20WM.jpg

Male

Wissahickon%20-325%208X10.jpg

Another male

Wissahickon%20-415%208X10%20WM.jpg

Ken

Great diversity and selection so far - street shots, urban shots and stories, spring blooms, and birds! Since I usually don't get around to uploading my weekend shots until later that week, I'm usually coming in late on the 'weekly' thread - here are some of the wildlife/bird photos from my wetlands this past Saturday:

Starting with a curious juvenile basilisk lizard...initially, he hid from me on the backside of a tree, but then had to peek back around to see if I had left yet:

original.jpg

A dragonfly with lovely patterns and colors:

original.jpg

Tis the season for babies. Lots and lots of babies. At least in the bird world...this young red-winged blackbird chick had strayed out of his nest and decided to try out his climbing skills:

original.jpg

The turtles have babies too. And sometimes they can be a little lazy, just like human kids...this youngster decided it was easier to hitch a ride on top of dad than to swim himself:

original.jpg

We all know babies can straddle the line between cute, ugly, and sometimes a little stupid-looking, but always endearing. This nest had a batch of 3 newly hatched tricolor herons...two were sleeping, but one decided to start seeing the world, with a little bit of bed-head:

original.jpg