83 year old evacuated from Anthem

I'm happy for this lady and hope she is ok and everything works out for her. . But these rescues from cruise ships seem to be happening more and more. Should it really be on the American Taxpayers to foot these bills? The cruise lines take the passengers on the ships and when they get really sick use the USCG to take care of the problem.

USCG spent about 680 million dollars last year on rescues of all kind, over 5100 people great job but averages over $100,000 per person. It costs about $1,600 to fuel a Coast Guard MH-60 Jayhawk helicopter, patrol boat costs $1,147 hour to operate. The USCG C-130 turboprop planes, about $7,600 an hour for fuel alone.

Why should the American Taxpayers foot these bills the cruise lines are making millions in profits. In the last two weeks four of these rescues off cruise ships that I have heard about, so my guess several more. The Silver Muse, Holland America Veendam, and Anthem of the Seas 2 times April 29 and May 12. What is the issue with Anthem, two times in two weeks, and RCCL is rolling in profits?

Again not attacking the guest just questioning the way things are done that allow cruise lines to take and take and give back very little it seems.

I'm happy for this lady and hope she is ok and everything works out for her. . But these rescues from cruise ships seem to be happening more and more. Should it really be on the American Taxpayers to foot these bills? The cruise lines take the passengers on the ships and when they get really sick use the USCG to take care of the problem.

USCG spent about 680 million dollars last year on rescues of all kind, over 5100 people great job but averages over $100,000 per person. It costs about $1,600 to fuel a Coast Guard MH-60 Jayhawk helicopter, patrol boat costs $1,147 hour to operate. The USCG C-130 turboprop planes, about $7,600 an hour for fuel alone.

Why should the American Taxpayers foot these bills the cruise lines are making millions in profits. In the last two weeks four of these rescues off cruise ships that I have heard about, so my guess several more. The Silver Muse, Holland America Veendam, and Anthem of the Seas 2 times April 29 and May 12. What is the issue with Anthem, two times in two weeks, and RCCL is rolling in profits?

Again not attacking the guest just questioning the way things are done that allow cruise lines to take and take and give back very little it seems.

I am from the UK and can't understand why a lot (I am not saying all) Americans don't have travel insurance. If I book a cruise in the UK you have to state your insurance company etc and can't travel without it. Maybe someone can explain it to me please.

So why is the cruise line responsible. Let the CG invoice the individual or if death, invoice the estate. If someone gets ill on land who gets charged for ambulances, etc.

So, why only the cruise lines? Far more money is spent on SAR and medical evacuation on foreign flag cargo ships than on cruise ships. Many of these shipping companies far outdistance the cruise lines in size and profits. So, why don't these ships have to pay, under your plan? It's because the US has agreed to the International Convention of the Law of the Sea, and has agreed to provide SAR and emergency services for our portion of the globe, just like other countries have agreed to do so in their areas. And part of this agreement is to provide these services for free.

So, why only the cruise lines? Far more money is spent on SAR and medical evacuation on foreign flag cargo ships than on cruise ships. Many of these shipping companies far outdistance the cruise lines in size and profits. So, why don't these ships have to pay, under your plan? It's because the US has agreed to the International Convention of the Law of the Sea, and has agreed to provide SAR and emergency services for our portion of the globe, just like other countries have agreed to do so in their areas. And part of this agreement is to provide these services for free.

+1. Also, wasn't aware of the agreement. Thanks for the education.

What in the world has an evacuation got to do anything with cruiseline profits?

What in the world has an evacuation got to do anything with cruiseline profits?

Because it seems cruise lines limited the medical staff size, equipment, and knowledge and take passengers that maybe should not be on cruise ships due to health. Then when they have issues they call the USCG to get the guest off the ships. Bottom line they limit costs and dump passengers to increase profits. A ship like Anthem of the Seas has almost 5000 passengers but seems to have the same type of medical as ships half the size.

Yes we have International agreements in place but many other countries have much less options, so if a rescue is needed 100 miles off shore for a Foreign Flag Ship , The USCG responds with a Jayhawk and a C130 Airplane and a 300' cutter and on scene in under 1 hour. Vs. the flagged country which can only send a small older boat for rescues in their waters . For USCG the US Taxpayers pay and provide the best rescue equipment in the World. Many more rescues done at higher costs and much farther off shore.

Because it seems cruise lines limited the medical staff size, equipment, and knowledge and take passengers that maybe should not be on cruise ships due to health. Then when they have issues they call the USCG to get the guest off the ships. Bottom line they limit costs and dump passengers to increase profits. A ship like Anthem of the Seas has almost 5000 passengers but seems to have the same type of medical as ships half the size.

Yes we have International agreements in place but many other countries have much less options, so if a rescue is needed 100 miles off shore for a Foreign Flag Ship , The USCG responds with a Jayhawk and a C130 Airplane and a 300' cutter and on scene in under 1 hour. Vs. the flagged country which can only send a small older boat for rescues in their waters . For USCG the US Taxpayers pay and provide the best rescue equipment in the World. Many more rescues done at higher costs and much farther off shore.

That's stupid to put this on the cruiseline. Maybe you'd recommend everyone ck in early for a physical?

People go on the cruise knowing they are sick and knowing it could be their last and not wanting to lose their money

Nothing new. Back when I started 30+ yrs ago was said Cruisers were the Newlywed and Nearly Dead, though I bet 80% were over 60yrs. 25% of my cruises I've had at least one passenger leave for Medical reasons. Witnessed many Helicopter removals, though none in 20 years. We have had to speed up to next Port, returned to next Port, left late and stopped at different Port.. They were Young, Middle Aged and Older. To "ExPat", costs the Cruise line more on majority of these, as if it should matter. Also there are 1-2 Dr's and 2-4 nurses on these ships, Last DR I talked to had 30+ yrs experience, they have it covered. Sound's like you are sole voice on this Topic... Last yr we had 3 passengers taken off on one 11 nite cruise, all at next Port's. Life Happens...

Edited by ONECRUISER

So why is the cruise line responsible. Let the CG invoice the individual or if death, invoice the estate. If someone gets ill on land who gets charged for ambulances, etc.

Agreed. Everyone especially the "elderly" should have travel medical insurance. It is not the responsibility of the cruise line. People have to be responsible for themselves. Any money spent by the military has to come out of their budget that is slated for their mandate.

Cruise ships almost always carry medical staff in excess of what is minimally mandated by SOLAS.

And I am rather upset that you chose to demean the efforts of Canadian Forces SAR (some of the best in the world, from personal experience), AusSAR (Australian Maritime Safety Authority), the UK Maritime and Coastguard Authority, virtually every nation of western Europe, and even tiny countries/territories like Hong Kong, Taiwan, and Malta. All of these nations deploy maritime SAR assets of cutters, and fixed and rotary wing aircraft either identical or equivalent to those deployed by the USCG. All of these organizations risk the lives of their members performing maritime SAR missions, and your jingoistic statement is a disservice to these brave men and women.

I would love to study the source of your statement that the US does "many more" rescues and "further offshore", and whether or not this factors in the amount of coastline of each nation, and also the percentage of world shipping entering/leaving each country.

I also find it interesting that someone who chooses to live as an expatriate, and take advantage of the tax advantages of living overseas, spends so much time worrying about what the US government spends it's money on.

If someone needs to be evacuated off the ship it has nothing to do with how 'large' the medical facility is, or how many doctors are on board. It has to do with how severely injured or how seriously ill they are! You cannot expect any ship - no matter how large - to have extensive OR facilities or advanced imaging services. Please also keep in mind that every medical service that it provided while on board is billed directly to the patient or their estate. There is generally no free medical care on cruise ships. (With the exception of treatment for Noro!)

Because that's what the Coast Guard is responsible for, among other duties. Passengers from the US are also the very taxpayers that pay for the Coast Guard, so they are entitled to the rescue operations. I think of it as paying "Coast Guard insurance" when it comes out of my taxes.

If the Coast Guard was not available to assist, and the cruise lines had to pay, then the passengers would end up paying higher cruise fares, too.

re: Americans and travel insurance. It's true that many of us don't purchase travel insurance, partly through sheer ignorance or thoughtlessness.

Some of us have medical insurance that will reimburse us for treatment abroad--I do, but I still purchase travel insurance, because my regular medical insurance doesn't cover medical evacuation, only treatment, and because the travel insurance also covers other things. My only claim on travel insurance has been for a missed connection that required rebooking at a higher fare.

Amazing that someone can always find a way to monetize people getting sick. The handful of your $$ that goes to this is minor compared to many other things, but you find a need to complain about it.

Especially instead of the comforting idea that someone, somewhere, around this big world, will come out to the ship if someone gets sick. Which means that you can go out and LIVE instead of staying home worrying about spending money on if's.

Cruise ships almost always carry medical staff in excess of what is minimally mandated by SOLAS.

And I am rather upset that you chose to demean the efforts of Canadian Forces SAR (some of the best in the world, from personal experience), AusSAR (Australian Maritime Safety Authority), the UK Maritime and Coastguard Authority, virtually every nation of western Europe, and even tiny countries/territories like Hong Kong, Taiwan, and Malta. All of these nations deploy maritime SAR assets of cutters, and fixed and rotary wing aircraft either identical or equivalent to those deployed by the USCG. All of these organizations risk the lives of their members performing maritime SAR missions, and your jingoistic statement is a disservice to these brave men and women.

I would love to study the source of your statement that the US does "many more" rescues and "further offshore", and whether or not this factors in the amount of coastline of each nation, and also the percentage of world shipping entering/leaving each country.

I also find it interesting that someone who chooses to live as an expatriate, and take advantage of the tax advantages of living overseas, spends so much time worrying about what the US government spends it's money on.

I’ve been an expat for close to 20 years, still waiting for there to be any tax advantages. Completely agree with the rest of your post though.

Yikes.

Shame on someone for falling critically ill. They totally planned for it just to go after your taxes. :rolleyes:

Wow! Who decides who is healthy enough to cruise? My husband and I both have pre-existing issues, should we be declined?

Well said !!!

Having traveled the world when working I have great respect for all the men and women who risk their lives to ensure that safety of others . Not only was the post you were responding to a deservice to the brave men and women performing Maritime SAR Missions but beleive it's a slam against all first responders maritime or not which I find unconscionable.