Forward or aft?

eileenover

Hi

We're new to Azamara. We've been on many Celebrity cruises and Princess cruises before them.

Now we're booking a long cruise on the Journey.

Question: Would you say that it is better to be right at the aft or forward? We've read about noise/vibration at both ends.

Thanks.

Thanks but no, it isn't an option.

We much prefer aft, very handy for the restaurants and cafe.

Never found vibration a problem at normal cruising speeds, only noticeable if ship needs to make up time.

Vibration aft can be pronounced when the ship is manoeuvring in or out of port. We have noticed this in the Owners Suite, but less so the higher up you are. Also it depends if you have an early or late departure whether the vibration actually really bothers you.

We much prefer aft, very handy for the restaurants and cafe.

Never found vibration a problem at normal cruising speeds, only noticeable if ship needs to make up time.

Our experience as well. Much prefer being aft of the aft stairs/elevators. Less hall traffic and easy access to dining on decks 5, 9, and 10.

Much prefer aft. If you are far forward the noise from the anchor chain being dropped or the bow thrusters when entering a port can be deafening.

Having said that....we have a very far forward cabin in June. I am bringing my ear plugs!

We've only done Transatlantics on AZ, so motion is a concern for us. We've sailed in the far aft and indeed the motion was more than midships. However a fellow passenger who was sailing fore reported that the motion was so intense that she could not sleep. A little vibration in the Owner's Suite at the back of the ship.

• 1 month later...

If the option of booking midships is gone and you have a bit of motion sensitivity you will [as those before my post affirm] be more comfortable booking a cabin as close to midships and aft as you can. The bow of a ship eats most of the energy of large and frequent waves by moving up and down as it pushes tons of water aside. If you 'live' up there - you're part of the bow. Yes, the stern of the ship goes up and down too but not with the vigor of the bow. Big waves make a lot of noise too.

If you're doing a TA the issue of anchor and thruster noise people sometimes mention after booking forward is mute. Aft you might experience a little prop vibration if the captain is making up time or you're caught in a storm but prop vibration is usually slight.

Most people I know that are motion sensitive have no problem choosing a little prop vibration now and then over the up and down dance of forward accommodations - especially when the waves turn the minutes to hours.

Forward is ok. Aft has vibrations. On my first Az cruise, I booked a GTY and was on deck 7 forward. It was better than I had expected.

Forward is fine. As long as the seas are calm. As soon as the wave heights go above 5 meters or so (sometimes much less) and if the motion is pitch, you will be hating life if you are in a far forward cabin. If the wave action is roll, it won't matter as much if you are forward or aft, but lower is better in that scenario.

Forward is fine. As long as the seas are calm. As soon as the wave heights go above 5 meters or so (sometimes much less) and if the motion is pitch, you will be hating life if you are in a far forward cabin. If the wave action is roll, it won't matter as much if you are forward or aft, but lower is better in that scenario.

Want a perfect storm (pun implied :D ) ? Take pitch and roll and marry them :eek: . That wonderful ride motion is sometimes called 'cork screwing' and has sent many a seasoned sailor to the rail. Yes, stabilizers go a long way in helping remove roll but ............ All you need is a beam sea and a decent swell to fully understand the condition. While not a usual ride condition those that have done numerous cruises will likely be able to reminisce. As usual, low and midships is the place to be.