formal nights!

Holey

Hi to all!

Its been said their is no formal nights anymore but chic nights is this correct?

If so.. Do people still dress up my husband and i love to dress up but is it worth bringing dinner jackets and posh frocks?

We sail with celebrity because it used to:cool: offer the formal nights and being a little older we liked the smart evening wear

Do people dress up? Absolutely. Depending on the itinerary, our experience has been somewhere between 5 and 20% of the pax dress up in what would be considered "formal" wear. The balance will be all over the board. Some men in sport jackets, some in dress shirts and ties, the majority in collared shirts without ties. You will see women in everything from dressy capris to gowns (although long, traditional gowns are few and far between).

That's the beauty of the new dress "code." Those who still want to dress formally can, while those, like us, that got over formal wear many, many cruises ago, are not forced to dress that way.

A lot depends on your itinerary and how you are getting to and from the ship. If driving, then definitely bring all the formal wear you want. If flying, there will be a consideration of the weight you are allowed per each airline.

Sailing in Europe you will see much more formalwear, sailing in the Caribbean you will see less.

Hi to all!

Its been said their is no formal nights anymore but chic nights is this correct?

If so.. Do people still dress up my husband

Well, if they do you should know about it. :evilsmile:

Seriously, it's now formal that formal is no more. Unfortunately.

I like getting cleaned up and getting out and about with my bride. She cleans up real good so it's a great task for me to dress to the nines to look like I am with her. Of course I am normally following her so most folks don't think we're together, anyway.

That said, I will be wearing a nice suit with a real tie and a vest a couple nights during the cruise. It's highly likely my shoes will also be highly shined and I will wear matching socks for a change.

I will be the guy our current younger culture laughs at and points at, saying, "Why go to all that bother looking good when you can relax and have dinner looking looking like you just got out of bed or off a shore excursion?". I've noticed in Luminae the staff there dress to the nines every evening for dinner, and they work their buns off, all whilst looking good.

End of rant. :evilsmile:

We’ve seen everything, even down to the shorts and sports tops on Chic night.

When we were on Summit, shorts were not allowed in the MDR on any night.

We don't miss formal night at all.

OMG. Another dress code thread. If you don't dress to the nines you look like you are gardening. Give me a break. If you want to dress formally or close, more power to you.

But if I want to dress the way the cruise line suggests, then leave me alone. Gave up dressing like we are on Downton Abbey about 50 cruises ago. Ain't going back.

And we've talked to several waiters and who hate how they have to dress in Luminae. And several who moved to Blu or MDR.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

We have adjusted to chic night standards ( less to pack) but for the next cruise, I will celebrate a big b day,,,,,,

.I will be bringing my "posh frock" and dh will have a jacket and tie,,..can't wait to Celebrate!

Wear what makes you happy!

We have adjusted to chic night standards ( less to pack) but for the next cruise, I will celebrate a big b day,,,,,,

.I will be bringing my "posh frock" and dh will have a jacket and tie,,..can't wait to Celebrate!

Wear what makes you happy!

[emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

When we were on Summit, shorts were not allowed in the MDR on any night.

We don't miss formal night at all.

Shorts are not allowed in the dining room, people do report seeing them but most don’t know the circumstances. Ie:luggage didn’t arrive or never came

Shorts aren't allowed in the MDR or specialty restaurants after 6 pm.

Posh frocks and dinner jackets are welcome on chic nights, but aren't required. If you enjoy dressing up, please do. I'm sure you'll look lovely.

And there are plenty who think it is unfortunate ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

And less than half of those who think it is fortunate enjoy themselves at least half as much as those who think it is unfortunate.

And less than half of those who think it is fortunate enjoy themselves at least half as much as those who think it is unfortunate.

Ouch. That hurt my head just trying to sort it out. Fortunately.:cool:

On our cruises we treat every night as a chic night. I'll happily wear chinos and a shorted sleeved polo shirt on the golf course, but that's not my idea of smart casual on a cruise.

As I said before I dress up to compliment my wife's great dress sense, and what others choose to wear whatever the dress code may be, really doesn't bother me.

My tux' will definitely be worn on our Eastern Med' cruise this July.

In simple answer to the OP and regardless of what your opinion is, you can most definitely wear posh frocks/dinner jackets if you want to. There will be a number of people who do the same. My main observation since formal nights have been abolished is you will see many more people, not necessarily in the dining room, but around the ship in the evening in the bars for example very casually dressed including shorts.

Phil

We have just returned from a Summit cruise to Bermuda. Most people made an effort to dress up a little more on chic nights. However there were some who looked like they had just come in from doing yard work. It appears that any old jeans are now acceptable. The more seasoned cruisers tended to be more dressed up. I still love seeing gentlemen in a crisp shirt, tie and jacket. We did still see a few tuxes. My husband and I travel with carry on size luggage and a back pack. I still packed 2 dresses and my husband wore his blazer on the plane. I disagree with all those who say that flying forces us to eliminate dressy clothes.

Hi to all!

If so.. Do people still dress up my husband and i love to dress up but is it worth bringing dinner jackets and posh frocks?

We sail with celebrity because it used to:cool: offer the formal nights and being a little older we liked the smart evening wear

Just got off Eclipse after a cruise to Iceland. Most people did dress differently on Evening Chic nights but I only saw one or two DJs (or tuxedos depending on where you hail from). They certainly weren't out of place because everyone knows the format and people wear what they feel chic in.

Personally, I wore a lightweight dark blue suit and tie and my wife wore a cocktail dress as she did on smart-casual nights with me in my chinos and short sleeves. Some ladies from perhaps Asia were wearing their finery with hats. The coolest guy, I think, wore a trilby and showed us the way with his dancing. Others had jackets and open neck shirts and some wore jeans. As long as you follow the dress code then anything goes.

If you want to wear long dresses and dinner jackets then you'll be fine; in fact you'll likely get compliments. If however, you want to see everyone else dressed the same way, then I would recommend P&O or Cunard. Each one a good line IMO with of course Cunard being the more formal.

We’ve seen everything, even down to the shorts and sports tops on Chic night.

Hmmm... not sure about this, must have been some extraordinary circumstances involved. When we did the Bermuda cruise, we thought Bermuda 'shorts' might be allowed, but no, they were not.

Not all of us think that that it is so "unfortunate."

Amen on that!

We have just returned from a Summit cruise to Bermuda. Most people made an effort to dress up a little more on chic nights. However there were some who looked like they had just come in from doing yard work. It appears that any old jeans are now acceptable. The more seasoned cruisers tended to be more dressed up. I still love seeing gentlemen in a crisp shirt, tie and jacket. We did still see a few tuxes. My husband and I travel with carry on size luggage and a back pack. I still packed 2 dresses and my husband wore his blazer on the plane. I disagree with all those who say that flying forces us to eliminate dressy clothes.

Packing has nothing to do with why I don't pack dressy clothes. I don't pack them because I don't want to wear a tux, suit or a jacket. But I don't mind the few that are wearing blazers, suits or tuxes. I don't think they add or detract anything to the eveniong. To each their own. :)