What's your "go-to" packing checklist?

I'm sure I've seen similar posts in the past but when I just searched I didn't find exactly what I was looking for. So I was wondering what people use for their "must-have" packing list. I usually start with a base list and then modify as necessary, but as my upcoming trip is a little longer than usual (cruising for just 7 days but traveling for 14), I'm curious about what everyone else uses to start packing. Links or suggestions welcome!

I'm sure I've seen similar posts in the past but when I just searched I didn't find exactly what I was looking for. So I was wondering what people use for their "must-have" packing list. I usually start with a base list and then modify as necessary' date=' but as my upcoming trip is a little longer than usual (cruising for just 7 days but traveling for 14), I'm curious about what everyone else uses to start packing. Links or suggestions welcome![/quote']

I start my list about 3 months pre-cruise and add or delete from until I begin to pack.

I pack assuming that I can launder all my clothes once within every four days. It doesn’t always work out, but I pack based on assumptions and not contingencies. There is little that can’t be remedied with less than $100 if assumptions are wrong. I prefer the lighter travel (airline and port self-disembarkation) to hauling around a bunch of extra “what if’s.” Your results may vary.

we each get a bag of laundry for free which helps immensely. that said, i still overpack despite this benefit and despite having a checklist.

we are determined to go carry on only for our trip this september. so much that i actually bought airline tix that dont include a checked bag.

we each get a bag of laundry for free which helps immensely. that said, i still overpack despite this benefit and despite having a checklist.

we are determined to go carry on only for our trip this september. so much that i actually bought airline tix that dont include a checked bag.

Holy mackerel, I'm impressed ... I do carry-on only when I go to FL to visit my parents for anywhere from 4-7 days but have never even considered the possibility of doing it for a cruise! We pack SO MUCH STUFF. I am still in the habit (from old days of cruising) of wearing different clothes at night than during the day. I don't pack the gowns anymore, especially on NCL, but for sure something "other" than what I wore during the day. So that's like 14 outfits right there. LOL

My husband and I are both platinum, does that mean we BOTH get a bag of laundry around day 3 or 4? (Of course we're spending a week on Oahu pre-cruise so that will already be 10+ days into our vacation by then, so hard to reduce to carry-on for this one ...)

I do the same. Start with my "base list" and make it for what ever I am doing.

Starting to keep them for different categories that are repeats for us. Cruise, Disney, Beach, New Orleans.....

Absolute musts are my medications and an extra pair of glasses. If I will be swimming I have a prescription swim mask. These 3 items never leave my side while flying to a port! Essentials to pack are 2 bathing suits, comfortable water shoes, comfortable walking shoes. I always pack enough underwear so that I can shower morning and evening because I literally feel crappy when I wake up until I do and after a day of activity in the Caribbean I definitely need one again, lol.

3 bottoms, 5 tops, a maxi-dress, a pashmina wrap and a beach coverup and I’m done. My family did 30 days in Europe years ago and each person had one carryon and that was it. I always hang up even worn clothes so that they can air out and get worn again in different combinations. If something gets a stain that spot gets washed in the sink with a Shout wipe...

Absolute musts are my medications and an extra pair of glasses. If I will be swimming I have a prescription swim mask. These 3 items never leave my side while flying to a port! Essentials to pack are 2 bathing suits, comfortable water shoes, comfortable walking shoes. I always pack enough underwear so that I can shower morning and evening because I literally feel crappy when I wake up until I do and after a day of activity in the Caribbean I definitely need one again, lol.

3 bottoms, 5 tops, a maxi-dress, a pashmina wrap and a beach coverup and I’m done. My family did 30 days in Europe years ago and each person had one carryon and that was it. I always hang up even worn clothes so that they can air out and get worn again in different combinations. If something gets a stain that spot gets washed in the sink with a Shout wipe...

I like your style...

When we did a European cruise, I watched a lot of Rick Steves packing videos and they really helped me out, and now I only cruise with a carryon or smaller bag. Rick and his team share a lot of good tips, here are the ones I would mention

- Find "travel clothes", stuff that you like that is made of good fabrics for travelling...I wear a lot of polyester blend stuff when traveling because it dries out quick and doesn't get super wrinkly...it usually rolls up tight as well. Pick stuff that you can mix and match with other things so you can bring less. If you end up traveling a lot, like I do, I now have a small bag packed with clothes that I only wear when traveling, takes a lot of the packing hassel out of the way before I leave and enables me to do last minute trips

- After you have all your stuff packed, take it all out and remove one outfit. I always overpack, even going light, and never end up needing everything I bring

I fly at least 6-10x a year (my family lives all over the US and I also love taking mini and longer vacations when I can) and here are some of my MOST used items!

1) http://amzn.to/2CC4xAc This bag is AWESOME! It has two sizes...unexpanded (at its smallest size) it works PERFECTLY for a personal item for Spirit, Frontier, etc. When you use the expansion, it becomes a carry on size. I do wish it had backpack straps, I am going to have my mother in law sew some on for me, but otherwise this bag is AWESOME

2) http://amzn.to/2GuHVDP I recently added this to my cruise bag because it folds flat and is a great "floatie" so I don't have to pay for one when visiting private islands. I like it better than bringing a float because it lays super flat and is easy to inflate. Half of the time I do not even strap it on, i just hold onto it when going out in deep waters.

3) http://amzn.to/2BFOK6j I always try to bring my own mask if I can, but this is simply personal preference.

4) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HNSSV3U/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I love this sunscreen stick SO much I bought two, one labeled for my face and the other for my body. It's PERFECT size, lasts forever, I never get sunburnt anymore, and plus it doesn't count towards that liquid TSA rule!

5) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MS5A6FF/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I also bring this rolled up empty in my personal item bag or carry on. I use this bag when leaving for excursions!

6) https://www.amazon.com/Vapur-Element-Foldable-Flexible-Carabiner/dp/B007EEZ3WA/ref=sr_1_sc_4?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1527047995&sr=1-4-spell&keywords=water+bottleCollapsible I love this waterbottle because you can clip it to your bag, and roll it up tight if not in use.

7) I subscribe to Ipsy/Sephora Play/ other subscription boxes that send out travel sized beauty and skin care items...so I never have to buy walmart travel sized stuff and can use nicer brands and keep my toiletry size to the TSA rules.

8) https://www.amazon.com/Smooth-Trip-Woolite-Detergent-Packets/dp/B00K2D09WO/ref=pd_sbs_198_4?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00K2D09WO&pd_rd_r=FFZZH4QX1Y6M5QMFYCZV&pd_rd_w=G0E5m&pd_rd_wg=ApL7i&refRID=FFZZH4QX1Y6M5QMFYCZV I always bring one of these just in case one of my shirts gets a stain on it and I can just quickly wash it in the sink. This stuff smells good and it works well!

Hope some of my tips helped! Packing IS a personal thing and not a one size fits all list!

-