Upsell after final payment

suec12

Well I've been reading here about the "move up" offers / bids, which are pretty much, less than impressive, price wise. So I'm wondering if anyone recently has been able to request an inexpensive upsell after final payment. On several cruises, we would see the "after final payment price", call in and move up for a very reasonable price. But perhaps this is coming to an end?

Well I've been reading here about the "move up" offers / bids, which are pretty much, less than impressive, price wise. So I'm wondering if anyone recently has been able to request an inexpensive upsell after final payment. On several cruises, we would see the "after final payment price", call in and move up for a very reasonable price. But perhaps this is coming to an end?

I recently made my own upgrade on my upcoming Millennium Alaska cruise...

I don't wait around for these bizarre "MoveUp" offers...

Here's what just happened for me:

I originally booked an inside cabin clear back in November 2016 when the bookings first came on the board...

I continually check back on the pricing, hoping for a great sale or price drop...For over a year, nothing came up. I would have been satisfied with that inside cabin.

My final payment came due back in April some time. I made the payment, but kept watching the prices. Last week, I stumbled across a "residency rate" (a special price offered to people living in a particular state or states) on Aqua and Concierge cabins. Believe it or not, this rate on Concierge was slightly lower than what I had paid for my inside (I could have also paid about $100 more and moved up to Aqua--except, since we are traveling with others, being able to dine in Blu didn't have a value for me here).

I called my travel agent and they called Celebrity and were able to get me moved from Deck 2 inside to Deck 9 Concierge class...at zero change in cost. Later in the week, I found a lower rate on my July 2019 Reflection cruise that saved me $310 while moving me from an obstructed 2C to an unobstructed 1B--of course that one is well before the final payment date.

But, the lesson is--just keep watching the pricing...Don't wait for a "MoveUp" communication--those are intended to drive up the line's revenue--not to help you out...

I'm curious. Does Celebrity ever upgrade for free? I ask because a cruise I'm on in late June has 5 of the 8 royals still available. Would they, say, give a free upgrade from a lesser suite? Would the process then trickle down to the lower room categories?

I'm curious. Does Celebrity ever upgrade for free? I ask because a cruise I'm on in late June has 5 of the 8 royals still available. Would they, say, give a free upgrade from a lesser suite? Would the process then trickle down to the lower room categories?

Sure they do, but we've never had one. A friend of ours, first time cruiser, got upgraded to a Suite from a Balcony. No idea why. We were happy for them but wish it had been us.

We've sailed Celebrity many times - never upgraded for free but often find price drops and several times did call them for a reasonable upsell after final payment.

Sure they do, but we've never had one. A friend of ours, first time cruiser, got upgraded to a Suite from a Balcony. No idea why. We were happy for them but wish it had been us.

Why? Marketing. The cruise line wants to spoil a new cruiser. On our first Disney cruise, we got upgraded from a concierge family room (300sf) to a one bedroom suite (600+sf). We never sailed in anything less. Talk about being spoiled.

Free Upgrades on suites. Never that I have seen. I know twice I booked a suite guarantee and once had a free upgrade to a CS, and another time an offer of an upgrade to a CS for $800. Normally what they'll do is off an upsell from people that have paid higher prices for a CS, then offer the vacated CS's to SS1 occupants

You might see an a free up grade on guarantee rate. Say an inside guarantee getting a oceanview, or a verandah getting a concierge class, but as far as I've seen that's about as far as a free upgrade will go.

More than a year ago I booked an Oceanview Cabin on deck 2 for a 7 night on the Celebrity Infinity Alaska Cruise departing May 27, 2018. This week I was given an option to bid on the Move Up Offer. I bid just over the minimum bid and just found out the I got a Verandah for the week. I am very happy with new room and new price. Not saying it works for everyone, YMMV.

On our cruise in July, the price dropped after final payment as the cruise was on the Celebrity "Exciting Deals" list. We had a concierge verandah. I called, and could have gone to Aqua for no cost. For a little more, I could go to an S2 Sky Suite. We took that, and paid a bit more than that to keep our perks. Still a lot less than booking a Sky Suite in the first place.

On our cruise in July, the price dropped after final payment as the cruise was on the Celebrity "Exciting Deals" list. We had a concierge verandah. I called, and could have gone to Aqua for no cost. For a little more, I could go to an S2 Sky Suite. We took that, and paid a bit more than that to keep our perks. Still a lot less than booking a Sky Suite in the first place.

Was it a reduced price upsell? or was the price you paid for the Sky Suite the current advertised rate (just a lot less than it would have been if you booked originally?).

I carefully chose the perfect S1 on the Eclipse months in advance of the cruise. At check in we learned that we had been upgraded to a Celebrity suite. My wife was overjoyed, as this is one of her favorite cabins. I was somewhat happy but a bit saddened to lose my handpicked favorite. But there was nothing I could do at that point. I should have put a "no upgrade" on the S1 but seeing my DW so joyful lessened my disappointment

More than a year ago I booked an Oceanview Cabin on deck 2 for a 7 night on the Celebrity Infinity Alaska Cruise departing May 27, 2018. This week I was given an option to bid on the Move Up Offer. I bid just over the minimum bid and just found out the I got a Verandah for the week. I am very happy with new room and new price. Not saying it works for everyone, YMMV.

Congratulations. The new process worked perfectly for you.

The new process does seem like a good way to give more people an opportunity to pay for an upgrade. Obviously some people are willing to pay more than others.

I am booked on the Summit leaving on 6/17/18 for Bermuda. I have an OV and asked my TA to contact Celebrity to see how much an upgrade to a balcony would be. She did and they gave me the opportunity to move up for $900 per person. I thought for a minute or two and respectfully declined.

I am surprised they were not embarrassed to offer that. Kind of makes me wonder about this cruise line. This is my first time sailing with them. I guess if they had one room left I could see it but it looks like they have many balconies open.

The balcony rooms with the same perks I have are selling for $150 more PP today than OV level 7 (my room).

The balcony rooms today are $1,300 more than what I paid for my OV. In my mind it is irrelevant. I certainly could have purchased a balcony for around $300pp more at time of my booking.

Don't get me wrong, I am fine with my room I have and I am happy keeping it. I just thought it was crazy for them to offer a move to a balcony for $1,800 more.

I will keep my money and have a blast with where I am. I am sure I will have a great cruise. I have been in insides, OV (once), balconies and suites (once). I had a great cruise in all of them. I did spend more time in my room the time we had a suite with a living room but it would have been a great cruise regardless.

All is good.

Was it a reduced price upsell? or was the price you paid for the Sky Suite the current advertised rate (just a lot less than it would have been if you booked originally?).

The S2 under Exciting Deals was a little (under 200.00 total) more than we paid for the C3 with Go Best. Because the promotion did not include any perks, we added Go Best back in, bringing it up a little bit. The total, though, was significantly less (somewhere between 1K and 2K) then the S2 cost when we first booked.

I am booked on the Summit leaving on 6/17/18 for Bermuda. I have an OV and asked my TA to contact Celebrity to see how much an upgrade to a balcony would be. She did and they gave me the opportunity to move up for $900 per person. I thought for a minute or two and respectfully declined.

I am surprised they were not embarrassed to offer that. Kind of makes me wonder about this cruise line. This is my first time sailing with them. I guess if they had one room left I could see it but it looks like they have many balconies open.

The balcony rooms with the same perks I have are selling for $150 more PP today than OV level 7 (my room).

Well, here's another piece of unsolicited advice about the Summit. If you want a decent meal, you'll have to eat in the Tuscan Restaurant. The food in other venues to really lacking . Very disappointing to say the least.

Well, here's another piece of unsolicited advice about the Summit. If you want a decent meal, you'll have to eat in the Tuscan Restaurant. The food in other venues to really lacking . Very disappointing to say the least.

food/meals are very subjective and the same dish can vary greatly even between cruises on the same ship. If you were disappointed, why not start another thread or write a review.

Now back to the topic of this thread......

So, you knew the price when it was released and could make that comparison? I guess that would be a good deal! I could have had a CS for my S1 without any increase, but we prefer an S1 corner aft. A very nice elderly couple were given it and we were so happy for them!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We got a call 5 days before our recent cruise, upgrade to a Sky Suite from a 2B balcony for £200....we took it!

Great space, loved Luminae, room position wasn’t great due to large overhang & noise from OV kitchen all hours of the day & night...but we were very happy:D

We got a call 5 days before our recent cruise, upgrade to a Sky Suite from a 2B balcony for £200....we took it!

Great space, loved Luminae, room position wasn’t great due to large overhang & noise from OV kitchen all hours of the day & night...but we were very happy:D

Was the cruise out of the U.K.?