switching tours

kathyemma

We are going to Denali with HAL. They have us booked on the TWT. We want to take the shuttle to the visitors center. It will be open we were are there. Has anyone had any luck exchanging the tickets thru the cruise line? I hate to pay 150 for the shuttle for the three of us when we have already paid for the tundra tour. I am waiting for my TA to call me back.

TIA

Kathy

The TWT bus will pick you up at your hotel (usually the Chalets) and return you to your hotel. There is a separate free shuttle that runs from the Chalets to the visitor’s center and back. That same suttle will make a stop at the Wilderness Access Center if you want to take what they seem to now call a transit bus into the park for hiking.

Not sure what your issue was but I hope this helps. The TWT is a great tour with a knowledgeable driver narrating and giving you closeups on a monitor occasionally ....and a snack which is enough to keep most people from getting hungry!

Enjoy your trip.

The TWT bus will pick you up at your hotel (usually the Chalets) and return you to your hotel. There is a separate free shuttle that runs from the Chalets to the visitor’s center and back. That same suttle will make a stop at the Wilderness Access Center if you want to take what they seem to now call a transit bus into the park for hiking.

Not sure what your issue was but I hope this helps. The TWT is a great tour with a knowledgeable driver narrating and giving you closeups on a monitor occasionally ....and a snack which is enough to keep most people from getting hungry!

Enjoy your trip.

I wanted to take the shuttle out to Eielson. The TWT doesn't go that far. I also wanted to go early in the morning so I could join the noon ranger hike at Eielson. Our TWT isn't scheduled to leave until 3pm. We are packing our own snacks. My dd and I have a very strict diet and can not eat most provided foods.

I wanted to take the shuttle out to Eielson. The TWT doesn't go that far. I also wanted to go early in the morning so I could join the noon ranger hike at Eielson. Our TWT isn't scheduled to leave until 3pm. We are packing our own snacks. My dd and I have a very strict diet and can not eat most provided foods.

The shuttle goes to the visitor's center, not Eielson. When you get to the hotel you can ask if there is anyone who wants to trade early tickets for your later tickets. Since HAL no longer uses Journey Hosts for the Denali cruise tours I don't know who would coordinate that for you. You would still have to arrange to switch to the green transit bus at a rest stop to get to Eielson. Your bus driver would have to agree to coordinate the transfer at that point.

The shuttle goes to the visitor's center, not Eielson. When you get to the hotel you can ask if there is anyone who wants to trade early tickets for your later tickets. Since HAL no longer uses Journey Hosts for the Denali cruise tours I don't know who would coordinate that for you. You would still have to arrange to switch to the green transit bus at a rest stop to get to Eielson. Your bus driver would have to agree to coordinate the transfer at that point.

From what I understand I need to pay the $40 (plus 10 park fee) per person to get on the bus to Eielson. It is not something HAL offers so I have to buy from the NPS. I will just lose the money I paid towards the TWT. I am just going to suck it up and buy the tickets tonight. We have spent so much money at this point what's another $150.

The visitor's center at Denali has exhibits, a movie, hikes, and a sled dog demo. Eielson has a nice exhibit and is not crowded at all. I think the TWT bus doesn't go all the way out to Eielson because the large number of visitors would overwhelm the facility. It's really not much further out.

How soon will you know the time for your TWT tour?

We leave on July 5 and haven’t received any information on the land part of our trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Call the cruise line. My scheduled time to leave is between 2 and 3. I have known this for months.

The visitor's center at Denali has exhibits, a movie, hikes, and a sled dog demo. Eielson has a nice exhibit and is not crowded at all. I think the TWT bus doesn't go all the way out to Eielson because the large number of visitors would overwhelm the facility. It's really not much further out.

TWT does not go all the way to Eielson. And also on the TWT you are stuck on that bus. We want to be able to get off the bus and hike/explore.

We will be there June 4th.

How is the weather there right now?

Kathy

It is in the low 50’s right now. Looks like we might have showers soon. We have had some passing showers each day but not all day rain.

We did visitors center today and do twt tomorrow. Bring bug spray! Mosquitoes are bad.

It is in the low 50’s right now. Looks like we might have showers soon. We have had some passing showers each day but not all day rain.

We did visitors center today and do twt tomorrow. Bring bug spray! Mosquitoes are bad.

Big spray is on my list!!! Mosquitos love me. I would love to hear your thoughts on the twt tour.

Kathy

Big spray is on my list!!! Mosquitos love me. I would love to hear your thoughts on the twt tour.

Kathy

We enjoyed the twt tour and didn’t mind not going all the way to Eielson. We saw lots of wildlife. We saw 9 bears! Mosquitoes in the park were nonexistent but were bad at visitor center and our hotel. Weather was cool but dry the whole way. Lots of roadwork happening in park. Still lots of snow and ice in some areas but guide said it has been melting rapidly and things are just starting to bud.

Did you see all the bears yesterday too? We didn’t see the mountain yesterday but it is out beautiful today!

Lots of bears! We're in Talkeetna today and yes, the mountain is gorgeous! Feel so lucky to see it before we head out.

OK in the past- IF you can get your ticket for the TWT from your HAL guide- you CAN change it for a small fee at the WAC. BUT- it is not likely you can get walk up Eielson tickets. Call the reservation center, and - ask. You will NOT have to pay the park admission twice, they will refund the fee with your HAL documentation.

I was at Denali 4 days last year and know of a HAL tour couple that did change their tickets- they were on the Wonder Lake bus with me.

OK in the past- IF you can get your ticket for the TWT from your HAL guide- you CAN change it for a small fee at the W IAC. BUT- it is not likely you can get walk up Eielson tickets. Call the reservation center, and - ask. You will NOT have to pay the park admission twice, they will refund the fee with your HAL documentation.

I was at Denali 4 days last year and know of a HAL tour couple that did change their tickets- they were on the Wonder Lake bus with me.

Thanks for the info. We board tomorrow. I will see if there is anyone on board who can help.

Kathy