Anyone Cruising Alaska Now (5/22)? How cold is it?

Lemon Tea

EDIT: Yes. I know I can google and check Weather.com, Accuweather, and Wunderground for actual temps. I was wondering how the temp felt on deck during the cruise. Sorry I was not clear originally.

We leave for our Alaska cruise on Friday (5/25) and I'm wondering how chilly it currently is in Alaska. I've seen pics on Instagram and folks seem bundled up onboard.

Thanks so much!

Edited by Lemon Tea

I would take something warm while up on deck when the ship is moving. I think it can be very cool (cold). While in port not so much. I took a Baltic cruise last July and avoided the deck when we were at sea but while in port people were enjoying the outdoor swimming pools. So I imagine Alaska to be similar.

I would take something warm while up on deck when the ship is moving. I think it can be very cool (cold). While in port not so much. I took a Baltic cruise last July and avoided the deck when we were at sea but while in port people were enjoying the outdoor swimming pools. So I imagine Alaska to be similar.

Yes, excellent idea. I cruised Alaska last July and we were very lucky to have great weather. I know we were spoiled! Walking around outside during sea days was my favorite. So I was trying to get an idea of how chilly it is right now on the ship. I'm planning for the worst (weather) and hoping for the best. :-)

Yes, excellent idea. I cruised Alaska last July and we were very lucky to have great weather. I know we were spoiled! Walking around outside during sea days was my favorite. So I was trying to get an idea of how chilly it is right now on the ship. I'm planning for the worst (weather) and hoping for the best. :-)

We sail on the 27th. I am going to make sure I have a few scarfs - those seem to make a huge difference and don't take up much room. I live in DC and we have been getting pounded with rain for the last week and a half - I am hoping Alaska will give us a break from the rain!

Kathy

We sail on the 27th. I am going to make sure I have a few scarfs - those seem to make a huge difference and don't take up much room. I live in DC and we have been getting pounded with rain for the last week and a half - I am hoping Alaska will give us a break from the rain!

Kathy

I'm in NY and feel the same way! It's been really wet and chilly this spring.

I've packed fleece, hats, and several pairs of cheap "stretchy" gloves--they are great for when it's cool. Hoping I won't need them too much!

If the ship is moving, it's COLD. If you're on a small boat that's moving, it's COLD. If you're near a glacier, it's COLD. Layer, layer, layer, and add scarves, hats and gloves. You can pull layers off if you get too warm (or run inside for a bit).

Have fun!

If the ship is moving, it's COLD. If you're on a small boat that's moving, it's COLD. If you're near a glacier, it's COLD. Layer, layer, layer, and add scarves, hats and gloves. You can pull layers off if you get too warm (or run inside for a bit).

Have fun!

Thanks! This was not our experience last year; so I was wondering what to expect. We had a lovely and warm trip!

Thank you so much!

I just returned and we were very lucky came back with a sunburn.....slept with the balcony door open every night....We packed for the worst and got sunny fresh air between 12c to 23c was on Celebrity Solstice and Vancouver for 3 nights .....amazing trip

I’m currently on the Ruby this week and so far Alaska has been pretty dreary and cold! It’s not so bad that I regret not packing a heavy coat, but it’s definitely cold and damp enough that I’m making use of all of my layers*. We’re in skagway today, and it’s raining and in the 40s though it was much nicer when we were up in the Yukon. It was sunny and felt like it was in the mid to upper 50s during all of stops on the Canadian side of the border. I was even fairly comfortable doing the entire White Pass train ride out on the outdoor viewing platform, though I doubt I would have lasted had I been in jeans and a T-shirt!

Juneau was similarly rainy and gloomy though a little warmer than Skagway. I think it was in the low 50s.

On the boat, it’s been cool but tolerable. It’s been too windy for me to sit through an entire MUtS, but I’ve still been able to make use of my balcony and walk around on deck without bundling up too much. Unless it’s raining, I usually just wear jeans, a T-shirt and a fleece jacket.

*for reference, my top layers are a camisole, a long sleeve shirt, a fleece jacket, and a Charles River water resistant pullover on top. For pants, I’m wearing a pair of fleece leggings under a pair of Columbia Anytime Outdoor pants. I’ve also been carrying around a scarf, hat and gloves, though I haven’t used them much.

Hope this all helps! It may end up being much warmer on your trip than it’s been on mine. From what I understand, cruisers last week were treated to shorts weather!

From what I understand, cruisers last week were treated to shorts weather!

I am such a nerd that I’ve been tracking the weather on my phone’s weather app for weeks. I just put all of the cities we’d be visiting in a simply swipe over to see what’s going on. Last week I noticed a lot of sunny warm days in the port cities...this week not so much. Next week so far looks to be a mixed bag.

Have fun!

Exactly that last week on Vancouver roundtrip. In ports sweat shirt over the T-shirt ( or light jacket) was perfect. Posted temps on that sailing ranged 48 to 70 degrees Fahrenheit. Weather was dry and sunny.

Have fun!

Yep, yep, yep. We just got off an Alaskan cruise today. If it's moving, it's cold. This week we had the first few days sunny and cold and the last few days rainy and cold. It has been drizzling/raining on and off all day from Whittier to Anchorage to Denali. It's not warm up here right now.

User "Cruise News" has a thread that's called Almost "Live" Ms Zaandam 14-Day to Alaska (May 21 - Jun 4, 2018)

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2636979

You should ask him.

Utahtea

As the starter of the above thread, I can report temps in Ketchikan in the low 50's and drizzling rain today. While riding on my Crab Fishing excursion, and not near the heaters, I was both wet and chilled.

Temps tomorrow expected mid 40's and partly cloudy in Tracy Arm. If you add any wind while moving on a boat, lightweight long underwear is preferable to keep warm.

We cruised on Eurodam 5/12-5/19. I read everywhere, pack layers, gloves, scarves and hats. We did. We were very lucky, Juneau was low 50's and rainy, but cleared later in day, and didn't stop us. All others days were sunny, in 60's and 70's. Glacier Bay - magnificent - sunny and warm, but when ship was moving briskly, we needed our layers in the beginning. Did a float plane in Ketchikan, landed on a lake in Misty Fjords - it was 80's there! Good luck, you will have a blast no matter what the weather.

Weather update from the Ruby Princess: the weather at Glacier Bay and in Ketchikan ended up being surprisingly pleasant! In GB, I started out the day fully layered up, but shed down to just jeans and a sweater by 10:30. It wasn’t warm exactly, but it was more crisp than cold. We had sunshine all day so that helped a lot. Same deal in Ketchikan. Plenty of sunshine and so warm that I regret wearing so many layers as I’ve had to carry them all day. This definitely made up for the yucky weather earlier in the cruise.

On deck in the bow, I've been warm enough wearing a turtle neck topped with a wool flannel shirt & waterproof shell with a hood. I was also wearing a wool cap & mitten gloves ( fingerless gloves to make it easier to use a camera or cell phone with a mitten part that covers fingers when you don't need them exposed).

The wind at the bow makes it feel a lot colder. Walking around town and the forest today, I didn't need the hat or gloves and had the flannel un-buttoned under the shell.

Sent from my Pixel using Forums mobile app

Just got back from southbound cruise on Coral Princess and not too cold at all. We did Denali for two days first and did wear jacket as it was a bit chilly when the wind was blowing. On ship we could have worn shorts during glacier stops. In Juneau we did rainy whale watch trip and we wore fleece jacket under our rain jacket with waterproof shoes and gloves! The coldest weather the whole trip! In Ketchikan it was rainy, but not very cold (60 F). In Skagway we did train ride and light jacket was all we needed! All in all-I was never very cold and did not even use my heavy jacket!

We were on Ruby Princess last week, and I can say every weather report I collected before the trip (right up to our travel day, the day before sailing) was mostly if not totally wrong. :) Fortunately, we planned and packed for many options.

While Juneau was rainy and Skagway was brutally cold and wet, Glacier Bay was partly sunny and warmed up over the day (thermals were a welcome last-minute packing addition), and Ketchikan was SUNNY. I was peeling off layers on our hike there. (Hint: have a small, empty-ish bag/backpack to carry layers after removing them.)