Similar food on RCL and Celebrity?

peter1975

All of my previous cruises have been on Royal Caribbean ships. We always eat in the MDR and I generally love the food (some days more than others). Over the years, I have developed some favorite dishes.

I am taking my first cruise on Celebrity in August. Will I see any of my favorite RCL dishes on my Celebrity cruise? Or would you all say the menu options are completely different!

Thanks in advance!

Without knowing what your favorites are, it would be hard to say.

But in general, I don't think you'll find much, if any, duplication on the two lines -- they are completely different.

You might find say, French Onion Soup on both, but they would be made from different recipes.

Celebrity is a class above its sister company Royal, both in food and service. On Celebrity, the food is not just different, it is much better. We enjoyed gourmet food on all our Celebrity cruises, with lobster, jumbo prawns, etc.

Royal has more action, activities and entertainment; ideally suited for families, young and middle aged adults.

Celebrity attracts a lot of seniors over 70 years.

Edited by drsel

Celebrity is a class above its sister company Royal, both in food and service. On Celebrity, the food is not just different, it is much better. We enjoyed gourmet food on all our Celebrity cruises, with lobster, jumbo prawns, etc.

Royal has more action, activities and entertainment; ideally suited for families, young and middle aged adults.

d - We do not resemble your last sentence and while there a few over 70's onboard, methinks you have skewed the age median too far! ;p

bon voyage

All of my previous cruises have been on Royal Caribbean ships. We always eat in the MDR and I generally love the food (some days more than others). Over the years, I have developed some favorite dishes.

I am taking my first cruise on Celebrity in August. Will I see any of my favorite RCL dishes on my Celebrity cruise? Or would you all say the menu options are completely different!

Thanks in advance!

IMO who has better food or service is subjective. We have always enjoyed what ever meals we select and eat in the MDR (breakfast and dinner) on both RC and Celebrity. FYI, Celebrity has an outside grill for burgers and dogs. It's called the Mast Grill on deck 14. Enjoy your first Celebrity cruise and the Equinox.

IMO who has better food or service is subjective.

I agree! Which is why I made sure to not actually ask about quality comparison -- too subjective! ;)

For example, I really love the filet of beef tenderloin on RCL -- any chance this is on Celebrity?

My favorite dessert on RCL is the Grand Marnier Souffle! I would be so happy to see this on Celebrity also.

Is ecargot served every day? Is it prepared the same on Celebrity and RCL?

Thanks!

Most of our cruises have been with a Celebrity. The Food has always been very good for the most part. Took our first RCCL trip with all the family this March. I thought the food was clearly not at the same level. I was rather disappointed. Food seemed to be thrown on plate, messy, sauces were terrible. Not sure RCCL is even close to Celebrity

I agree! Which is why I made sure to not actually ask about quality comparison -- too subjective! ;)

For example, I really love the filet of beef tenderloin on RCL -- any chance this is on Celebrity?

My favorite dessert on RCL is the Grand Marnier Souffle! I would be so happy to see this on Celebrity also.

Thanks!

Now that you are more specific on what your favorites are. We did a B2B Caribbean cruise on the Equinox March 2018. We had beef tenderloin. Cooked medium rare. Perfect, IMO. There was grand marnier listed on the menu but we never ordered it. My wife really likes escargot and it was on the menu every evening. She didn't select it every evening. As far as swimming in garlic and shallot butter in individual sections of the dish, yes. Other than that I couldn't say how it's prepared.

Edited by davekathy

Ouch, that's a wild statement. Having traveled many times on both, RCI mainly when the children were younger seems to attract more families which is logical as their activities are aimed very much at that category. Celebrity on the other hand has a good blend of ages and yes some over 70's but by no means the majority as you suggest - and might add I've not reached that landmark yet and been going with X for many years.

In answer to the OP, the food quality is in my opinion of a much higher standard on X and as another poster said, one is not reflective of the other.

Thanks!

Escargot, I don't eat them but yes I believe they do have them on the section of the menu that remain the same every day.

Now that you are more specific on what your favorites are. We did a B2B Caribbean cruise on the Equinox March 2018. We had beef tenderloin. Cooked medium rare. Perfect, IMO. There was grand marnier listed on the menu but we never ordered it. My wife rally likes escargot and it was on the menu every evening. She didn't select it every evening. As far as swimming in garlic and shallot butter in individual sections of the dish, yes. Other than that I couldn't say how it's prepared.

I can speak to the escargot -- the recipes are very different on Celebrity vs. Royal Caribbean.

Royal also has a lot of baked cheese on top but not Celebrity.

In my very subjective opinion, Royal's escargot is much better. This is the reason that I didn't order it every night on my recent Solstice cruise like I do on a RCCL cruise. I'm sure that it helped to save me a few added calories in the process :)

I can speak to the escargot -- the recipes are very different on Celebrity vs. Royal Caribbean.

Royal also has a lot of baked cheese on top but not Celebrity.

In my very subjective opinion, Royal's escargot is much better. This is the reason that I didn't order it every night on my recent Solstice cruise like I do on a RCCL cruise. I'm sure that it helped to save me a few added calories in the process :)

No way. My wife also enjoys RCs escargot and there has never been any baked cheese on top of her escargot. Before serving the escargot it is baked for a few minutes to completely melt and brown the butter on top.

Thanks for the great responses!! I appreciate them.

I'm very much looking forward to this new and different experience. I'm looking forward to trying some new options, but am happy to hear some of my old favorites may be options, as well. =)

Our group of 9 will probably bring the average age on the cruise down a bit (6 out of 9 in our group are under 35; the rest are 40's and 50's).

Thanks for the great responses!! I appreciate them.

I'm very much looking forward to this new and different experience. I'm looking forward to trying some new options, but am happy to hear some of my old favorites may be options, as well. =)

Our group of 9 will probably bring the average age on the cruise down a bit (6 out of 9 in our group are under 35; the rest are 40's and 50's).

Have you contacted Celebrity's Captains Club desk and provided them with your RC Crown and Anchor numbers?

No way. My wife also enjoys RCs escargot and there has never been any baked cheese on top of her escargot. Before serving the escargot it is baked for a few minutes to completely melt and brown the butter on top.

Agree, I LOVE the escargot on Royal and don't recall it ever having baked cheese on top. I also like to dip my bread in the garlic butter. Yum!!

Agree, I LOVE the escargot on Royal and don't recall it ever having baked cheese on top. I also like to dip my bread in the garlic butter. Yum!!

OK I guess I'm wrong, I'm not a cook or a foodie by any means. The browned butter with the garlic is so rich that it tasted like baked Parmesan cheese to me. Nonetheless, Celebrity doesn't do this with their escargot. I guess the oily stuff that their escargot is butter but it seemed rather tasteless to me (maybe it has a lot less garlic) and I didn't think it was worth the calories. Nonetheless, I enjoyed other dishes on Celebrity.

Have you contacted Celebrity's Captains Club desk and provided them with your RC Crown and Anchor numbers?

Yes, Thank you! I did this for everyone in my family. It's nice to be able to take my first cruise on Celebrity already at "Elite" status. :)

OK I guess I'm wrong, I'm not a cook or a foodie by any means. The browned butter with the garlic is so rich that it tasted like baked Parmesan cheese to me. Nonetheless, Celebrity doesn't do this with their escargot. I guess the oily stuff that their escargot is butter but it seemed rather tasteless to me (maybe it has a lot less garlic) and I didn't think it was worth the calories. Nonetheless, I enjoyed other dishes on Celebrity.

Obviously your Celebrity escargot experience is different from my wife's. I'm not a foodie or a cook either. But Celebrity's escargot also is baked to brown the butter like RCs escargot. Most recent experience was a B2B cruise on the Equinox March 2018. Only difference is RCs escargot comes with a French baguette for dipping and Celebrity's doesn't. My wife used a similar bread from the bread basket for dipping.

Edited by davekathy

Yes, Thank you! I did this for everyone in my family. It's nice to be able to take my first cruise on Celebrity already at "Elite" status. :)

Great. In case you don't know the Elite HHs are from 5:00 PM to 7:00 PM in the Sky Lounge deck 14. The HH isn't held the first evening or during the Senior Offers party during the cruise. You will have a list in your stateroom showing all your Elite perks, hours and days for different events. Similar to RC.