What exactly is Pol Acker?

Traveler Nina

It is a French non-vintage sparkling wine with a production of 10,000 cases per year.

It is Cunard's standard welcome bottle and served at receptions, often under the misleading title "champagne".

About its taste you probably have read enough.

I have seen it mentioned many times on this board as something like a sparkling grape juice mixed with mouth wash. Is it alcoholic? A champagne knock off? Thanks, just want to know what to expect!

Go to the hardware store and buy a 3 foot rubber hose. Go to your car and remove the gas cap. If you are smoking hold the cigarette off to the side. Don't put it out. Put one end of the hose down into your gas tank.

Put your mouth on the other end and draw the gasoline up into your mouth. Swill it around for several seconds. Now you are at a crossroad in your life. Do you swallow, spit the gas out or just end it all with the cigarette?

Paul

I have seen it mentioned many times on this board as something like a sparkling grape juice mixed with mouth wash. Is it alcoholic? A champagne knock off? Thanks, just want to know what to expect!

Pol Acker is to champagne what Carnival is to cruises.

Matthew

Vile mouthwash....mind you I merely took one sip ( I don't drink) before we dumped it down the sink! I'm guessing yoiuve realized its not something worth looking forward to!!

Cheers, Penny

Penny’s Affair to Remember QM2 Review

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=471053

November 10,2007...the “Affair” continues....

Go to the hardware store and buy a 3 foot rubber hose. Go to your car and remove the gas cap. If you are smoking hold the cigarette off to the side. Don't put it out. Put one end of the hose down into your gas tank.

Put your mouth on the other end and draw the gasoline up into your mouth. Swill it around for several seconds. Now you are at a crossroad in your life. Do you swallow, spit the gas out or just end it all with the cigarette?

Paul

OMG That was so funny

00020148.gif

It should be mentioned that in the interest of transatlantic clarity, that the UK is the world's largest importer of Champagne with over 30 million bottles consumed a year. Here in the USA, just about any wine with bubbles can be successfully passed off as Champagne. The per capita consumption is less than a tenth of the British. Unfortunately, if Americans are given Pol Acker by Cunard and possibly other Carnival brands, consumption is likely to remain low and stay that way.:D

It should be mentioned that in the interest of transatlantic clarity, that the UK is the world's largest importer of Champagne with over 30 million bottles consumed a year. Here in the USA, just about any wine with bubbles can be successfully passed off as Champagne. The per capita consumption is less than a tenth of the British. Unfortunately, if Americans are given Pol Acker by Cunard and possibly other Carnival brands, consumption is likely to remain low and stay that way.:D

Well, it is not served on Carnival, nor Holland America.. nor of course Seabourn..nor even Princess.

Belongs solely to Cunard.

Say what you will about Carnival, but when I was invited to the the Carnival Freedom's inaugural.. and asked for champagne.. they poured Moet. Loved that inaugural!!

Paul

ROFL!!:D Funniest thing I have heard all evening! Can I use it like Nair in the bath? None of my friends will know what it is so I can come home not having had to shave for a week and tell them I bathed in "Champagne":p on Cunard. (Once they sail themselves they will find out why!)

Serious now, don't drink the Pol Acker...got it.

If it's any good for cleaning spark plugs and such, we can collect them for Karie to use on her plane's engine?

Why how kind of you! I left the winter formulated gasoline (with MBTE in it) and it melted the float in my carburettor!

Ambiance, I wasn't hiking about Nair, but yes, I blieve it would work. I was thinking more like paint remover.

Karie,

wine aficionado extraordinaire!

Well, I've been trying to keep up our numbers. Guess I need to go open another bottle...

Kathy

Sorry I was going to try tonight, but I made some sort of frozen confection with the last of the Ummm What'sits Dark Rhum (Jamaican- Can't remember the name right now famous one) Oh Yeah- Myer's

And never made it to the Moet, The St Hilaires or even the Dom I have inthe kitchen and the second (small) fridge in the Dining room. (hic()

Well, I'va had a few rough days, remembering my Dad, and other sadnesses.

Never made it to the Champagne.

But I will try to keep up my end of the statistics real soon, I promise!

Karie,

who needs to go to bed now so she can make it to (ugh) Bridgeport in the morning,.

P.S. Re" Work. It's what I have to do in able to afford to be able to do what I LOVE to do.

(I use to love my work, now I do it because I have to, since my dream job went bye-bye last year. and I am stuck in drudgery. The pays good, but well. Let's just say the pay's good.)

So! There we have it". Squeaky voice, radio 4 accent, sound of audience of 22 shifting in seats and pretending to be in Hull Municipal Library. "Polacker".

"It's a champagne substitute of considerable ill-repute designed to prevent Cunard passsengers from realising that the "Commodore" is a stand-in from the Purser's Desk because the Commodore is still in bed with Sir Martin".

"It's a cleaning product designed to remove the last traces of Conservatism from the streets of Nortthern Britain".

"Or it's a denigrative term employed by undesirables to describe the genitals of ethnic East Europeans".

"Slightly dodgy looking geezer with bow tie and lisp, what say you?"