best cash strategy for public buses in Mazatlan and PV

rob in cal

It looks like we will probably be trying out the local buses in Mazatlán and PV and I'm wondering what the latest info is in terms of payment. Are dollars ok, or should we have pesos, and if we have pesos do the drivers give change? I realize this topic has been discussed before but I'm wondering if there are new developments in terms of currency policy etc.

Its not a matter of "strategy" but simple economics. The current local bus fare in PV is 7.5 Pesos which is about 40 cents at the current exchange rate (assuming you use an ATM to get Pesos). In PV, most of the bus drivers will accept $1 bills...and, if they are fair, should accept $1 as payment for 2 fares. They will not normally give you change. If you use a dollar for a single fare you may or may not get change...and it would be in Pesos. We cannot speak to Mazatlan.

Those of us who live in PV for any length of time generally use Pesos for everything. But there is a good argument that cruisers can get away with using dollars and credit cards...and not have to deal with the hassle of exchanging money (or getting pesos out of an ATM). Just understand that if you use US Dollars you are generally not going to get a favorable exchange rate at many places. But some merchants do offer a pretty fair rate of exchange. If you are buying something and using dollars, make sure you have some idea of the rate being offered (some stores post their exchange rate).

Hank

Hank as usual covers things quite well. Just to reiterate. I was in PV with a large group earlier this month. Some of us had Pesos but not all. I led a group to Boca, the bus fare being 8 Pesos. If you paid in Pesos you got change in Pesos, the couples who paid a dollar for 2 got no change, still a pretty good deal at $0.50 for a ride.

In Mazatlan we took a Pulmonia to the Church, 3 of us for $6US in February. We walked back.

You can also take a Pulmonia tour for around $20US-$25US.

No idea about the busses. Did see them at the Mercado but not near port.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums