First time in Amsterdam for a Viking River Cruise

Unregistered, just back from your river cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
River Cruising
Find Others on Your River Cruise! River Cruising Roll Calls
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 11:05 PM.
Toronto, Canada
1,014 Posts
Joined Mar 2010
What do you want to know?

Sent from my SM-N910C using Forums mobile app
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

AmaDara, Vietnam and Cambodia, 2017
Aegean Odyssey, Istanbul to Venice, 2015
Bike and Barge Holland, Bruges to Amsterdam, 2014
Uniworld, Vienna to Basel, 2011
Uniworld, Tulips and Windmills, Antwerp to Amsterdam, 2010
Albany, NY
4,888 Posts
Joined Jul 2009
Budapest is great! We spent three days there before a river cruise in 2016 and saw a lot. It's a big, spread-out city though, so you'd do best if you're comfortable with public transport, and you like to walk here and there. We liked the Four Seasons hotel at the Chain Bridge but there are many others.

I blogged about our Budapest visit but I don't know if it would be helpful to you, as we tend to run around a lot. The link to my blog is in my signature. It's the April 2016 trip. It might help you decide what you want to visit in Budapest.

I do think that you can change your username. You may have to email the admins. Look in the help section of the boards to see if there's any info. I'm on my phone and can't easily find it.

Edited: this link will tell you how to request a change.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
JP and Chris

Last: Silver Explorer - Along the Humboldt Current, Guayaquil to Valparaíso - Oct 2017 (review)

Future bookings - come join us!
Silver Wind - #2828, Copenhagen to Tower Bridge - Sept 2018
Silver Cloud Expedition - #1918, Reykjavik to Reykjavik - August 2019

Ganges Voyager II (Uniworld) - India's Golden Triangle & the Sacred Ganges - Feb 2017 (review)
River Beatrice (Uniworld) - Danube - April 2016
(photo review)
SS Catherine (Uniworld) - Burgundy and Provence - March 2015 (review)
Silver Cloud - Eastern Med - Istanbul to Athens - October 2014 (photo review)
Silver Cloud - North Atlantic - Tower Bridge to Reykjavik - August 2014 - (photo review)
SS Antoinette (Uniworld) - Castles on the Rhine - Basel to Amsterdam - April 2014 (photo review)
Silver Explorer - Central America - Colon to Puerto Caldera - October 2013 (photo review)
MS Sun Boat III - Nile River - November 2012 (pics1) (pics2)
Silver Wind - Athens to Rome - June 2012 (report) (Greece pics) (Italy pics)

Celebrity Xpedition - Galapagos - November 2011 (Peru pics) (Galapagos pics)
Silver Explorer - Longyearbyen to Tromso - August 2011 (report) (Svalbard pics) (Tromso pics)
Silver Wind - Cape Town to Cape Town - Feb 2011 (pics)
Silver Cloud - London to Nice - September 2010 (France pics) (Spain and Portugal pics)
Silver Wind - Black Sea - June 2010 (pics)
Silversea PAII - Antarctica - Dec 09 (pics)
6,347 Posts
Joined Apr 2006
Addressing a few of your questions.

Many travel agencies will give something over and above Viking’s direct offer. As is standard with cruise lines Viking then wants to deal with the TA and not directly with you which you may or may not consider a negative.

There is a thread active within the last week on “aquarium class” cabins. (I am a not smart user on a smart phone and have not figured out how to SEARCH on it) Many people including me are perfectly happy with those rooms given the lower prices.

Amsterdam is a city in which you could easily spend a week. Good museums, good public transportation and pretty safe. Most people speak excellent English (Dutch is such a small language that they can’t travel far relying on it). The train from the airport to Centraal station is cheap fast and easy. As I age (only one other option) I find a couple of days to overcome jet lag to be very beneficial, so that is my minimum advance arrival now that I am not worried about taking time off from work.

IMO the man advantage of using the cruise line hotel is the transfers but generally this is far outweighed by the price you pay for that convenience.

Lots of helpful people on this board (unlike some other CC boards) and I have learned a lot here. If you flag (which I don’t know how to do on a phone, but upper right corner otherwise) your msg requesting a name change the moderators are more likely to see it and may be able to help.
ADD: I see that jpalbny (a very helpful presence on this board) has supplemented my info.

I hope this helps. Ask away.

New York
8,864 Posts
Joined Aug 2011
This thread may read a little disconnected since I had to delete OP's substantive post because it contained the name of a Travel Agent. That's a no-no.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Email me: [email protected]
Blogs: Jazzbeaux Blogs

I am not an employee of Cruise Critic and I don't speak for Cruise Critic. All opinions are mine alone. Also, I'm only a Host on the various River forums -- everywhere else I'm "just plain Jazz."

AMA Discover Africa 5-2018
Viking Sun British Isles Explorer 8-2018
Celebrity Edge Caribbean 1-2019
Ponant/Backroads Iceland 8-2019

Azamara Quest Costa Rica 1-2018 / Crown Princess Classic Canada & New England 10-2017 / Norwegian Pride of America Hawaii 10-2016 / Azamara Quest Norwegian Fjords 8-2016 / Celebrity Constellation Greek Isles 5-2016 / AmaDagio Provence 9-2015 / Celebrity Xpedition Galapagos 5-2015 / Celebrity Eclipse Southern Carib 3-2015 / Fresco Tours A Kinder Camino walking tour 9-2014 / Crystal Serenity Mediterranean 5-2014 / Coral Princess Panama Canal 1-2014 / AmaCello Rhine 8-2013 / Coral Princess Alaska 6-2013 / Ireland Fly-Drive 9-2012 / Norwegian Dawn Caribbean 3-2013 / Celebrity Summit Caribbean 1-2012 / Oceania Insignia Mediterranean 5-2011 / Fair Dinkum (Erie Canal bareboat) 7-2003 / Costa Italia Caribbean 5-1974
3 Posts
Joined Mar 2018
Originally posted by Host Jazzbeau
This thread may read a little disconnected since I had to delete OP's substantive post because it contained the name of a Travel Agent. That's a no-no.
I sincerely apologize, as it was an error on my part. I will rephrase my questions and post them at another time. I absolutely have no connection to the agency mentioned and I wouldn’t intentionally violate any rules. I find myself overwhelmed with the planning of this trip and in my haste to ask for advice I didn’t realize that my reference was not allowed.

I did go ahead and book this cruise and I’m sure I will be back asking lots of questions.

For the moment, is there a roll call for Viking River Cruises? I can’t find any on my own. I refer specifically to the 15 day Grand European Viking Cruise leaving Amsterdam on August 11, 2018.

Thank you
178 Posts
Joined Mar 2015
Originally posted by Funluvingseniot
For the moment, is there a roll call for Viking River Cruises? I can’t find any on my own. I refer specifically to the 15 day Grand European Viking Cruise leaving Amsterdam on August 11, 2018.
Here you go, Mary

Cruise Critic
All River Cruise Roll Calls
All Viking Grand European Tour 2018 Amsterdam to Budapest
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

2018-4-13 Viking Var 'Danube Waltz' Passau>Budapest
2016-7-9 Viking Skadi 'Grand European Tour' Budapest>Amsterdam
2015-7 Viking Delling 'Portraits of Southern France' Chalon sur Saone>Avignon
2015-3 Viking Forsetti 'Heart of Bordeaux' Bordeaux>Bordeaux
2014-4 Viking Hemming 'River of Gold' Porto>Porto
2013-5 Viking Odin 'Romantic Danube' Budapest>Nuremberg