Ventura refit

cocowills

does anyone know when Ventura’s refit is and what’s being done.

I think its being repaired, from what I have read from previous posts ie stabaliser I think and checking for any holes underneath the ship at the moment.

It's a general spruce up as well - the normal 5 yearly one - new soft furnishings etc.

I read on Facebook the other day that Ventura is getting the LED wall in the theatre that Brittania has so that's exciting!

As for when - she's in Brest now being re-fitted.

Edited by P&O SUE

It's a general spruce up as well - the normal 5 yearly one - new soft furnishings etc.

I read on Facebook the other day that Ventura is getting the LED wall in the theatre that Brittania has so that's exciting!

As for when - she's in Brest now being re-fitted.

Great news, the LED wall was very effective on Brtannia.

As we disembarked on Monday they were ripping up the balcony flooring, I hope the replacement is like the Solstice ships, and not just more of the same. Our steward also told us all cabins were having new carpets.

There was also comments that new chairs and tables were going around the pool areas, and that the Beach House servery was being remodelled, there was even mention that the theatre seating was being replaced, but I find this unlikely.

Absolutely no mention of new TV's that you can actually see without standing 3 feet away from the screen, if not P&O will be slipping even further behind the competition.

As we disembarked on Monday they were ripping up the balcony flooring, I hope the replacement is like the Solstice ships, and not just more of the same. Our steward also told us all cabins were having new carpets. There was also comments that new chairs and tables were going around the pool areas, and that the Beach House servery was being remodelled, there was even mention that the theatre seating was being replaced, but I find this unlikely. Absolutely no mention of new TV's that you can actually see without standing 3 feet away from the screen, if not P&O will be slipping even further behind the competition.
Thanks terrierjohn.

Yours is the first report I've seen of what actually might be happening during Ventura's refit. It seems there is a total news blackout as far as P&O is concerned. Compare this lack of news with other recent P&O refits. I'm particularly interested as we're on her next cruise.

I still hold to my theory that there may be workers on board when we sail as no new bookings have been taken for a few weeks now. Probably reading too much into this but there appeared to be several dozen rooms left on the day P&O stopped new bookings.

Got this from the Ventura Facebook page

Hi everyone. So we have a list of the main areas for refit that starts today. This may not be the complete list as there is sure to be painting and varnishing going on and also repairs to any faults that have been reported to them. But this is what we have and if we hear of anything else I will add to it.

The Beach House and Waterside

Both restaurants are to be refitted with updated flooring and new tiling in the main walkways and new carpets and furniture.

Carpets

Carpets will be replaced in all suites and cabins, and several public areas. The Atrium, Oasis Spa and Salon, restaurants including Saffron, Waterside, The Glass House and the Beach House, and the bars including Red Bar and Havana Lounge.

Theatre

The Arena Theatre will be fitted with LED wall installation and the sound and lighting desk updated.

Shopping

Ventura’s new retail partner is the world’s leading travel retailer Dufry. The shops are being completely refitted and new brands Brics, Olivia Burton, Liu Jo and Longines will be added. Radley, Cath Kidston and Kipling will remain among others. Large glass display window is to be added to the shops on deck 7.

Dixons Travel Store

This will increase in size with more of the latest technology offered such as Fitbit, Apple, Amazon, Bose, Canon and GoPro and the latest model of the Supersonic hairdryer from Dyson.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

As we disembarked on Monday they were ripping up the balcony flooring, I hope the replacement is like the Solstice ships, and not just more of the same. Our steward also told us all cabins were having new carpets.

There was also comments that new chairs and tables were going around the pool areas, and that the Beach House servery was being remodelled, there was even mention that the theatre seating was being replaced, but I find this unlikely.

Absolutely no mention of new TV's that you can actually see without standing 3 feet away from the screen, if not P&O will be slipping even further behind the competition.

I hope the new chairs around the pool areas aren't like the ones on Aurora. They replaced some of the old metal ones with new lightweight white and blue plastic ones. They started breaking within days and in Montevideo there was a container on the dockside with some being thrown away. 20 days into the cruise!

The first refit is usually a big one because it deals with warranty work.

The second one , this is where Ventura is now, is usually fairly small and focused on cosmetic work being 9 years old.

There after refits are only big if they decide to reconfigure a passenger area on the ship such as kids club into cabins on Aurora next year.

You have to remember, the need for a refit is so that the ship can have its 5 yearly (by law) dry dock inspection of the hull. This is also the opportunity taken to do any major engineering work - most of which is not normally reported.

Sadly it seems we will still have to use our binoculars to watch the tiny TV's, and it appears we have also lost the Sky Sports news channel, although this may only be when it crosses the Atlantic.

As regards the LED wall I found this rather pointless when we were on Britannia, it's no substitute for quality entertainment.

This shows more about the refit. Tamarind and Havana redesigned, 18 new single rooms, Wi-Fi across the ship, internet café (Costa?) is being changed to the library and the library to a perfume shop.

http://www.cruisemapper.com/deckplans/Ventura-669

The single rooms were added during the 2013 refit, as indeed were the change to the library and the internet cafe, which are now combined on deck 5.

The single rooms were added during the 2013 refit, as indeed were the change to the library and the internet cafe, which are now combined on deck 5.

Maybe it was about the 2013 but it does say March 2018 review. Or they are adding more single cabins again.

As we disembarked on Monday they were ripping up the balcony flooring, I hope the replacement is like the Solstice ships, and not just more of the Same.

Hi, I go on Ventura in 4 and a bit weeks. I've always hated the balcony flooring. When you say they ripped up the balcony flooring, do you mean your balcony, or was there large scale ripping up of balcony floors ???

Hi, I go on Ventura in 4 and a bit weeks. I've always hated the balcony flooring. When you say they ripped up the balcony flooring, do you mean your balcony, or was there large scale ripping up of balcony floors ???

On our deck, 14, they were removing all the blue flooring from every cabin and it was obviously being scrapped since they were bending and breaking it, so I assume the same was happening on all decks. Of course it could just be to clean up the base metal and then they could fit the same type of material again,

• 3 weeks later...

I'm now back today from Ventura's first post re-fit cruise. As I last sailed on her in 2012 I can't give a great before/after comparison. The improvements aren't particularly visible to me, though the new carpets in public areas and staterooms will undoubtedly be welcome, without really providing a 'wow' factor.

Others will comment on the shop refits I'm sure, but to me these were not very different from what I remembered. What I did notice was the bareness of the shops and in my view few people making purchases.

Hi -we too have just got off Ventura.

Not overly impressed with the new refit tbh. Whilst their is plenty of nice new carpets and "The Beach house" has had a makeover which is nice. The "Waterside" however looks like it is half finished. It has new carpets and whilst the benches have been refurbished, the chairs have not. The chairs are absolutely grotty. They look really stained and grubby and I am surprised that they have not been replaced. It really spoils the overall effect. ( I do wonder if perhaps chairs have been ordered but not arrived maybe? It seems strange not to replace them.) Sunloungers have not been replaced and are looking worse for wear. One thing that has really surprised me is the new TV's. You can now no longer see you onboard spend and you have to go to reception to find out which involves them printing you a statement. It caused constant queue's at reception and what a waste of ink and paper. I find it a very backwards step - surely in this day and age they can do better than this!!!!! ( The TV's are the same size as the old one btw) Didn't really notice many other changes really. There seemed to be issues with the outdoor pool as it was only open for one day of the cruise. The indoor pool had issues with chemicals and went a nasty green colour at one stage and had to be treated for a while before being reopened. Overall I think there were quite a lot of teething issues tbh.

Hi -we too have just got off Ventura.

Not overly impressed with the new refit tbh. Whilst their is plenty of nice new carpets and "The Beach house" has had a makeover which is nice. The "Waterside" however looks like it is half finished. It has new carpets and whilst the benches have been refurbished, the chairs have not. The chairs are absolutely grotty. They look really stained and grubby and I am surprised that they have not been replaced. It really spoils the overall effect. ( I do wonder if perhaps chairs have been ordered but not arrived maybe? It seems strange not to replace them.) Sunloungers have not been replaced and are looking worse for wear. One thing that has really surprised me is the new TV's. You can now no longer see you onboard spend and you have to go to reception to find out which involves them printing you a statement. It caused constant queue's at reception and what a waste of ink and paper. I find it a very backwards step - surely in this day and age they can do better than this!!!!! ( The TV's are the same size as the old one btw) Didn't really notice many other changes really. There seemed to be issues with the outdoor pool as it was only open for one day of the cruise. The indoor pool had issues with chemicals and went a nasty green colour at one stage and had to be treated for a while before being reopened. Overall I think there were quite a lot of teething issues tbh.

Hi Suebiker

You've more recent experience of Ventura than me and I can only agree with your comments. I'm surprised you say those are new in cabin TVs. Really? Princess are light years ahead in terms of on-board technology. The two Princess ships I've sailed on had interactive cabin TVs including account information, plus totems available around the ships to view daily activities and download account summaries.

One piece of technology I really wish P&O would adopt from their Princess sister brand is the wifi app. One of the several useful features of this free app is to allow guests on-board to message each other. Brilliant for arranging meeting points etc with family and friends.