Silver or Gold wine packages

Shaver John

Can anyone refresh what the package is and how it works (e.g. If I buy more expensive do I just pay the difference?)

Here’s the information & on a 14-day transatlantic cruise on the Royal in October it was available. During some of the preceding Med cruises it was not offered because of a resupplying problem.

You can take bottles of wine from dining locations to consume anywhere else on the ship. Or if like me, I misjudged on the previous cruise and got the remaining bottles to take home.

The details on the wine packages are:

Note: A 15% gratuity is added to all package prices (like any other bar purchase).

Silver Package (wines up to $29 per bottle list price)

7 bottles -- $161 (average of $23 per bottle)

10 bottles -- $210 (average of $21 per bottle)

12 bottles -- $240 (average of $20 per bottle)

Gold Package (wines up to $45 per bottle list price)

7 bottles -- $217 (average of $31 per bottle)

10 bottles -- $290 (average of $29 per bottle)j

12 bottles -- $336 (average of $28 per bottle)

You get a punch card which can be used at any of the dining locations.

You may choose any wine on on the regular wine menu. If you want to buy a wine that costs more than what the package covers, you just pay the difference. For example, if you have a Gold package and buy a wine that costs $46, the charge for $46 will appear on your stateroom account, followed by a $45 credit

• Thanks 1

• 5 months later...
Here’s the information & on a 14-day transatlantic cruise on the Royal in October it was available. During some of the preceding Med cruises it was not offered because of a resupplying problem.

You can take bottles of wine from dining locations to consume anywhere else on the ship. Or if like me, I misjudged on the previous cruise and got the remaining bottles to take home.

Do you know if this is still in effect? Our sailing is 10 days ... didn't see it offered on our last cruise, which was only 7 days. Not sure if they are still doing it at all with the changes made to the beverage package.

Do you know if this is still in effect? Our sailing is 10 days ... didn't see it offered on our last cruise, which was only 7 days. Not sure if they are still doing it at all with the changes made to the beverage package.

I can't speak to the silver or gold wine packages, but our last cruise (an 8 day) we finally decided to carry on our own...8 nice bottles that we paid a $15 corkage fee for 6 of them. We had a nice bottle each night at dinner. If you have a means to carry on your own, I highly recommend it!

I don’t have any more recent experiences since the Royal in October & my next eligible cruise is nearly 15 months away.

Not seeing it offered on 10+ day cruises has routinely been my experience. Once on embarkation day for a 14 day cruise the Alfredo’s Pizzeria headwater said wine packages were unavailable but was eager to sell me the expensive all-inclusive drink package. That evening in the MDR our waitstaff happily sold us a wine package & that’s our source to purchase it. I’ve learned that there are some benefits to selling added on options including the wine package. Since our waitstaff will be providing our wine nightly, I prefer that they get the benefit for things such as extra time off in ports.

I can't speak to the silver or gold wine packages, but our last cruise (an 8 day) we finally decided to carry on our own...8 nice bottles that we paid a $15 corkage fee for 6 of them. We had a nice bottle each night at dinner. If you have a means to carry on your own, I highly recommend it!

That’s what we do particularly for cruises from LA where we can drive there.

If we have sufficient non-refundable complimentary OBC even from LA on 10+ day cruises we have purchased a wine package. That’s free for us & we’ve enjoyed cruise long “wine tastings” to discover some new wines that we enjoy.

We're trying to determine if it is worth our while to carry on our own wine or just buy a package. We do live close to the pier so carrying it is our only hassle ... having wines we know we like is to our advantage though. ???

There was no wine package offered on our 15 day cruise Vancouver>Hawaii RT last September, so it's not consistent.

That inconsistency is another factor to consider & the one time it wasn’t available on a longer cruise we were told it was due to a lack of sufficient wine inventory. The same reason was given for not having it on the cruise before another cruise we sailed due to a delay in the arrival of a resupply container.

I have no way to know if any of that was accurate or not but sometimes Princess ships act like an autonomous kingdom & things can vary by ship, or even vary on the same ship by cruise.

All cruises we have been on including on the Grand Princess to Alaska in May, we had the wine package. Usually there's a person walking through Lido asking people if they would like to sign up for wine tasting, coffee card, soda card, or wine package. We always get it from them as it gives them some extra brownie points. I think it's only available on the first day of the cruise, as I haven't seen it offered any other times. Usually two crew members are standing in front of the elevators selling the wine package on embarkation day.

It was offered on the Royal this past April on the 15 day TA, and those were still the prices.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We usually bring our 2 bottles, free of corkage fee. Our next 15 day cruise will likely also have us bring extra bottles. Princess prices and wine options are not to our liking. When we can walk on instead of flying to port we prefer to do this and pay corkage

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We usually bring our 2 bottles, free of corkage fee. Our next 15 day cruise will likely also have us bring extra bottles. Princess prices and wine options are not to our liking. When we can walk on instead of flying to port we prefer to do this and pay corkage

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes .... this does sound better. We have been picking out bottles that we like and packing them away ... so think that is what is going with us.

We had the beverage package on our last Princess sailing earlier in the year. We were a bit disappointed with the wine selection by the glass that was included in the package. For Chardonnay, it was basically, Clos Du Bois and Simi. Both are decent but we sure could have gone for some variety. They were out of a lot of the 'by the glass' wines that were listed on the menu at Vines. I really only drink wine, sparkling wine and club soda, so when the wine is so limited, the PBP really isn't such a great deal for us. We just booked under a different promotion instead for this upcoming cruise.

Yes, they are. I believe only on cruises of 10 days or more.

New to princess, so forgive the question. We are sailing on a 7 day cruise in January, so does that mean they definitely will not offer the wine package?? Thanks.

New to princess, so forgive the question. We are sailing on a 7 day cruise in January, so does that mean they definitely will not offer the wine package?? Thanks.

Correct...although have read a few posts from passengers on B2B 7 day cruises who managed to get it.