Dover to LHR with Princess transfer

cheeseclan

Hello,

I am just looking at my options as to how to get form Dover to LHR after our cruise on the Pacific. I currently have Princess transfers at $177 for the 3 of us. I have contacted many transfer companies and it is about GBP140, so more than the Princess price. I do not want to take a train or anything like that.

I was wondering if anyone has used this Princess transfer post cruise in the past? Do they have you get off and fill up a bus and then get on their way? Was is okay?

Thanks

We used the Princess transfers from Dover to LHR several years ago when we disembarked off the Ocean Princess. Yes, we filled the bus and then took off for Heathrow. Our particular journey was quite pleasant rolling through the British countryside and did not encounter any significant traffic. Arrival at LHR was uneventful and getting our bags was simple as it was organized under the bus by which LHR terminal you required.

We intend to use the transfers again this July when we disembark the Pacific Princess in Dover.

Last Fall, traveling from Heathrow to Dover to board the Pacific Princess, we prearranged taxi service thru Folkestone Taxi service. (Folkestone is a small town near Dover.) I made all the arrangements online, and they were very responsive.

We took the public bus. By purchasing tickets in advance, the price was 4 GDP per person. We had to take a taxi from the cruise terminal to the bus station, which was 5 GDP total. Translated, that cost us well under $20 for two people! The bus prices vary depending on how far in advance you purchased (we did it on line before we left) and what sort of ticket you bought--we had the kind that couldn't be transferred or refunded. The bus made a total of 3 stops, while the private shuttles or Princess shuttle would have made no stops. It added about 20 minutes to the trip.

I know OP said no trains. For us, the cost savings was well worth the minimal inconvenience.

Normally we don't do Princess transfers, but in our case last August it was a free ride for us from Dover to Victoria Coach Station in London. Disembarking the Pacific Princess was quick and easy and the bus left as soon as it was filled.

I know there are less expensive options, but if we ever disembark in Dover is the future, I'd use the Princess transfer.

With the transfer, make sure they put you on the correct bus. We did one transfer to LHR and we told the person three times, American Airlines, and he still put us on the wrong bus. We didn't have much time at LHR, so we were truly running to get to the correct terminal.

Flamomo,

Do you recall the price?

Unfortunately, I don't have the reservation confirmation any more, but I seem to remember that it was about 135 GBP for the two of us. But then, it WAS a trip of about 100 miles, as I recall, so we didn't feel it was overpriced.

(It was required to prepay it with a credit card to make the booking.)

From the Ocean Princess we did a Princess excursion to Heathrow that included Canterbury. I do not remember the price, but it was well worth it as it was possibly the best Princess excursion we ever did. It felt like we were still on the ship as we knew a few of the others on the excursion. The guide was excellent; I did not feel bad at all at giving him a generous tip, although he seemed quite surprised.

There were very few of us on the excursion, so they did not have to wait for the bus to fill

Tipping is not the norm in England, although it is becoming more common. When we cruised from Dover, there were signs up saying that tipping was not permitted and that the porters had been paid for their service. There are a few restaurants that are encouraging tipping, but overall it does not happen....thus the surprise of the tour guide.

• 5 months later...

I am exploring options for transportation to Dover for our cruise next year. If we want to fly in a day or two early and spend time in Windsor, how would we go about using the Princess bus transfer to Dover? Since we wouldn't be on an arriving airline, does anyone know where we would have to go to catch the Princess bus to transfer to the pier the day of the cruise?

Thanks for your help!

I am exploring options for transportation to Dover for our cruise next year. If we want to fly in a day or two early and spend time in Windsor, how would we go about using the Princess bus transfer to Dover? Since we wouldn't be on an arriving airline, does anyone know where we would have to go to catch the Princess bus to transfer to the pier the day of the cruise?

Thanks for your help!

When we needed to transfer to Dover, there was no Princess transfer (only going back to the airport or London). They did have transfers for their cruises from Southhampton, but not for Dover. This was a few yeas ago, so it might have changed since then.

We got to Dover from London using the regular bus service.

Thanks, OnTheWeb, for your reply. Now that I've thought more about it, I think it was a dumb question on my part. It would not be cost effective or feasible for Princess to provide transfers to Dover from LHR unless they had a whole lot of people arriving at the same time on incoming flights. Makes financial sense for them to provide transfers after the cruise, but not before.

I'll continue to research transportation options. The Princess board and Britain forum have been so informative! Great info and ideas.

Thanks for your help!

I cancelled my August cruise with Pacific Princess but did sign up for transfer to Dover with them. Another pick up point is Victoria Coach station for those already in London.

When we needed to transfer to Dover, there was no Princess transfer (only going back to the airport or London). They did have transfers for their cruises from Southhampton, but not for Dover. This was a few yeas ago, so it might have changed since then.

We got to Dover from London using the regular bus service.

Transferring from London LHR to Dover is pretty straightforward. The best direct mainline London Railway Station for Dover Priory is St. Pancras International, fast trains (up to 140mph take you there direct). You just need to look at the www.tfl.gov.uk website for your cross London routing on the Underground from your hotel. Victoria Station also has a slower mainline service direct to Dover Priory if Victoria is easier from your hotel using the Underground. Then get on the www.trainline.com website to book your advance purchase cheaper tickets for the train,. Easiest way to acquire the actual paper tickets is to use their "collect from a station pre-purchased tickets" service using the six digit code you are allocated. This retrieval must be in conjunction with the credit card used for the original transaction (check your card will still be in date on day of rail travel). You use the ticket machine at a station alternatively queue up and speak with the rail clerk at the ticket window who can also issue pre-purchased tickets using your original credit card for security.

Dover Castle is one of Englands finest so consider a Dover hotel for last day pre-cruise Best Western, Travelodge or Premier Lodge are good. The Dover Cruise terminal is at the Western Docks and cross-channel ferries go from the Eastern Docks.

Returning to airport is much easier using a Princess Transfer.

Regards John

Katrina and John, thank you for your replies.

We'd like to stay in Windsor for a night and then transfer to Dover. Initially I thought we might arrange private transport to Dover on a Monday morning. I've been posting on the Britain board as well and folks advised me to travel to Dover on Sunday evening and not Monday a.m. due to traffic.

So, I still have a lot of thinking and logistics to work out. It looks like I'll be adding a few days extra on both ends. That's not a bad thing!:)

We were on the same cruise as Lew last August and used the cruiseline transfer from Dover to LHR. Since there were only two of us, it was a better deal than paying for a private transfer. We could've taken the train but didn't want to deal with having to change in London to get to LHR.

This, and Southampton, are two places where the Princess' transfers are a good experience. The bus leaves when it's somewhat full. We were still able to spread out in the back of the bus. It was a very easy trip up to LHR on a Sunday with hardly any traffic. I'd definitely recommend it.