Room Service tips

springtx249

Myself I don't believe in tipping for standard or even good performance. It must be above and beyond.

However, when you sail on HAL, you are sailing on a cruise line with a pervasive American culture---and that culture includes tipping as SOP. Wages are low, with the expectation that tips will be forthcoming.

Yes, the HSC (which I do hope you at least leave in place), supposedly covers those who deliver Room Service. But I see no harm, and much good, in offering a 'thanks' with something tangible.

When I travel to parts of the world where tipping is not the norm, I follow the customs there. When in places where tipping is normal, then I tip.

It's the old "When in Rome ..." thing.

Just so you know we do tip the Cabin Stewards, DR Stewards, and some Bar Staff above and beyond the daily gratuity that is added to our account, never said we didn’t [emoji17] The question was about Room Service so that’s where I directed my response.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How about the Lido Market staff?

We generally only order room service for breakfast. We always tip, usually $3-$5 each time. We always get good service. Also, I have given tips to Lido staff at the end of the cruise if I notice that they consistently go above and beyond, or always have great attitudes. The omelet station personnel come to mind.

If we ordered room service once a day on a one week cruise, it would cost us less than $15 to make someone's day a little brighter EVERY SINGLE DAY!

So ...... I guess I ask myself, why the heck WOULDN'T I tip?

How often do we get the chance to make someone happy for such a tiny sum?

For all my cruses, I bring an envelope of $1's, $5's and tens to be sure to have cash to tip room service . they are always so p;leasant and do such a good job, i like to provide a token of thanks.

Ditto on that. A couple of days before we leave for a cruise, I'll stop by the bank and get our gambling allowance and change about $200 into 1/5/10s for tipping purposes. Its also useful for tipping when ashore.

We get room service most mornings and tip depending on how much we've ordered. On our cruise in Jan my sister and brother in law were in the suite next to us and the four of us ordered room service for dinner most nights. I felt so sorry for the person that had to bring all that food on all the trays, but we tipped well.

And we've also learned to have that money ready so we're certain to get it in their hands before they scurry off!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

For Breakfast delivery as a solo cruiser, I offer $1.00. If my traveling companion is there, we add an additional $1.00. For Lunch (never have ordered Room Service Dinner), I will offer $2.00 per person.

If one wishes to offer a gratuity to the gentleman who serves you, one needs to have the cash readily available. Usually, the tray is delivered and the person is headed for and out the door before I am able to get to my wallet.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 3 weeks later...
We do not tip. We consider this an included dining option, just like the main dining room, the Lido buffer or any other included included onboard food service. We honor the concept of keep the ship as cash-free as possible. We also honor the principle of keeping ships services a level playing field for all passengers; not just for those who tip the most.

Are you by chance on the May 7 Zaandam sailing? Because if so, I’ll double my usual tips. Cheers.