Dressing for Dinner

I also remember those days , but we seemed to go from one extreme to another , I do not want to wear a suit and tie , but wish there was some standards

Well said!

I too have been cruising for many years - since 1990's. I am more than willing to move with the times. I still wear a dress or sparkly top on formal nights, not as fancy as 20 years ago, but still a cocktail or similar dress. Easy for women to wear a sundress, capris, etc. on other nights. My late husband wore a tux or suit depending on the cruise, and Dockers, polo, Caribbean shirt, etc. on other nights. Notice I said depending on the cruise - have found European and longer cruises to be more formal than week long Caribbean.

If someone is wearing shorts I really don't care. I also think that the majority of people posting here are talking "dress" shorts, Bermuda type, walking shorts, or whatever they are called where you live. Paired with an appropriate polo, tropical type shirt and shoes/sandals. Nothing wrong! The problem is a large number of people wear gym and workout wear! Big difference! I don't think silky basketball or running shorts are the same!

Don't forget that they need to be clean! Posted earlier about the number of people wearing workout type shorts and tshirts all day - on the sports court/beach and then coming to dinner. Unless you have ever sat next or near a stinky table you can't understand this.

Yes, move forward, but there still needs to be common sense, good manners, and some kind of rules. Shorts approved but gym wear belongs on the list with swimwear as far as the dining room is concerned.

So then what is the consideration? I just don't understand how a couple walks into the dining room - not formally dressed - while you are beginning to eat your entree in your formal Wear and suddenly your whole dining experience is ruined? And you are suddenly traumatized by the experience?

By the way, there are no dress code rules - they are suggestions.

So who is being defiant and inconsiderate now?

Wear what you want to wear, stop worrying about what other people look like and I'm sure that you will enjoy your cruise more (and maybe be happier in life).

Peace, informally, of course.

Perhaps you need to re-read my post. I didn’t say it would ruin my meal or that I would be traumatized, and I certainly didn’t say it would prevent me from enjoying my cruise.

It’s just common decency and consideration for other people.

Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Show me these written Rules you speak of

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I don’t have any dailies in front of me nor RCI’s rules and regulations. If it is not expressly required then there are such things as unwritten rules. I don’t believe there are rules explicitly prohibiting you from picking your nose at the table next to me while I’m eating my dinner, but I would hope you would not do this. Or maybe you would.

I’m curious, many of the posters who support dressing however you please in the MDR seem to draw the line at beachwear. Why is that not ok? That doesn’t affect your ability to eat.

It's not the 1920's cruising on the Titanic, you don't get dressed up in a shirt and tie to go fly in a plane like the "olden days".

Ummm....... The Titanic sunk on April 15, 1912!... But at least the First Class Passengers were dressed appropriately. ;p

Perhaps you need to re-read my post. I didn’t say it would ruin my meal or that I would be traumatized, and I certainly didn’t say it would prevent me from enjoying my cruise.

Why is it "common decency"? Right there you are being judgemental.

They are not rules, they are suggestions. Since, as you say, it won't ruin your meal, then don't be judgemental, don't be suggesting people eat somewhere else, etc. Live and let live.

We all should be considerate and non judgmental. I certainly am not judging how others are dressing on a cruise. I just feel silly overdressed next to someone in shorts that are not evening shorts. I am adapting to the new norm. I am not saying I will never pack a full length evening dress and tux again in the future even on this class of ship. If I do, it will be when traveling as a couple or with like minded adults.And will be done to give my DH a thrill. At our age we have to make the most of such things and can I help it if he still thinks I am as beautiful as the day he met me. He has high standards as to how a lady dresses. He does not judge the others. He just never would have been attracted to a woman who did not have high standards. And it has nothing to do with the price of the clothing. Mine are all a real bargain.It will not be when I am traveling with 7 grandchildren and eating in the less formal MDR. If I am really looking at how anyone is dressed (unless in a costume), it is to admire their lovely dress or jewelry and on formal nights I will be enjoying people watching those wearing lovely formal wear while I am in my cocktail dress as I am sure my granddaughters will be doing. 2 will likely be calling them princesses or your majesty.

A point that I do not think has been brought up though, I do not know about you, but even where I live in the South there are still restaurants and clubs where if you do not have a jacket or tie on they will ask you to wear a loaner. I do not make the standards for RCCL. I am just choosing to adapt so I am comfortable.

Hmm - reading this in many places - including the below from Cruise Critic (dated Feb. 8, 2018 in the Google Slug):

"Anthem of the Seas does not have a formal night, but if you dine at The Grande on any night, formal dress is required.".

Hmm - That's bad info, no matter how many places you are reading it.

The "dressiest" outfit I've ever taken on a cruise is some nice designer jeans, a button up shirt and some basic loafers.

If you want to go above and beyond, that's totally up to you.

As long as you don't look like you just came from the pool, then nobody (whose opinion matters) will care.

Same here. I like to look nice but comfy. Its vacation. Im dressing all year long in suit and tie.

Sent from my LGMP450 using Forums mobile app

I don’t have any dailies in front of me nor RCI’s rules and regulations. If it is not expressly required then there are such things as unwritten rules. I don’t believe there are rules explicitly prohibiting you from picking your nose at the table next to me while I’m eating my dinner, but I would hope you would not do this. Or maybe you would.

I’m curious, many of the posters who support dressing however you please in the MDR seem to draw the line at beachwear. Why is that not ok? That doesn’t affect your ability to eat.

There are several options since Royal is casual about what they allow passengers to wear. You can dress according to what you think the rules are, what you want the rules to be or if you are a longtime Royal Caribbean cruiser like I am, then you know that Royal Caribbean is casual in what they allow passengers to wear to the MDR. Knowing that I wear what is comfortable. For me that is a polo shirt and long pants every night. I don't pack a tie, I don't bring a suit, tuxedo of sports jacket on Royal Caribbean. As far as shorts in the MDR for dinner while I don't wear them to dinner in the MDR myself, some passengers do and they are allowed in. Since passengers are allowed in wearing shorts then no matter what you think is a rule about shorts in the MDR they are allowed.

It doesn't affect me or my family how other people choose to dress. Just be comfortable. If anyone judges my family or myself I literally could not care less. We brought our kids up not to judge other people either. For the record we do dress up a little for formal night, Husband wears a suit and my teenage sons either a shirt and tie, or just smart shirt with trousers. Its a perfect photo opportunity If you choose not to thats up to you, its 2018... :) happy cruising, live and let live x

It doesn't affect me or my family how other people choose to dress. Just be comfortable. If anyone judges my family or myself I literally could not care less. We brought our kids up not to judge other people either. For the record we do dress up a little for formal night, Husband wears a suit and my teenage sons either a shirt and tie, or just smart shirt with trousers. Its a perfect photo opportunity If you choose not to thats up to you, its 2018... :) happy cruising, live and let live x

To be clear, this is not about judging anybody. I don’t think any less of someone because of whatever they choose to wear. I practically live in shorts and happily display the tattoo on my calf, and could care less what anybody thinks about it. IMO there is just a time and place for everything. Funny thing, I read people say they dress up for work every day and don’t want to have to do it on vacation. For me it’s the opposite. I work from home in shorts and a t-shirt so welcome the opportunity to dress up nice for dinner.

I suppose I am just nostalgic for the days when you walked into the MDR in your suit or tuxedo, and all of the women had on nice dresses and the man wore suits/tuxedos, and it was an elegant, special experience. Not just another meal.

Yet you are very bothered by this citing "common decency and consideration for other people." .What a hoot.

See there isn't a rule that you must be dressed formally; only a suggestion.

So we should all get dressed up just because you want us to?

Right!

In defense of those who have never eaten at Mc Donald's:

We shouldn't discriminate against anyone who chooses to dress in formal wear on the optional formal night by making them eat at the buffet or in their suites.

Let's be honest, their choice of dress does not change the taste of our food nor change our dining experience in any way.

If you feel the need to pay for another suitcase on the flight, be burdened with the extra luggage and succomb to the ship's money maker by paying for overpriced pictures, I say go for it - afterall, it's your vacation.

I promise not to complain when these people block the stairs or walkways necessary for the rest of us to get to other parts of the ship while they are posing for these overpriced pictures.

I also promise not to stare at those dressed formally when they enter the main dining room.

It's your vacation - you should enjoy it and dress the way you want to.

Well said!!! I love watching people bitch and moan about how others dress affects them. Really?? Unless its nasty or stinks exactly how does someone else affect you? If they do you are weak! I personally am wondering what the exact difference it makes if someone wears a nice pair of shorts or a pair of pants that is 12 inches longer?? Both are nice and clean and appropriate!! Geez, I hate holier than though people!

And let this be a lesson to all of you, had those four "kids" not dressed up every night then they actually wouldn't have really enjoyed their meals. Clothes make the meal.

And the ship has some nerve not enforcing a dress code that doesn't exist.

Finally, just because you're on vacation and want to relax doesn't mean that you should be able to ruin somebody else's vacation by dressing the way you want to. You shouldn't say "oh, I'm on vacation so let me ruin your vacation by dressing the way I want to." Jeez, peeps, your vacation is not about you.

Hmm Here I have had it wrong all along. I thought the food made the meal? Silly me!! Really?? Does a steak taste different when wearing long pants? Really? Does someone wearing a nice pair of shorts and a shirt affect the taste of your meal? Really Are you truly going to let someone wearing a pair of pants 12-14 inches shorter than yours affect your cruise?? Really? How pathetic does a person have to be to allow this to happen because of the length of a pair of pants?? I think it is great for people to dress up if they want, including kids, BUT something tells me their meal would have tasted the same either way. And as another poster said(and I have as well), the MDR food quality truly does not require dressing up if one does not want to.

PLease get over yourself, no one is that important!!

Have a wonderful day and a better next cruise :-)

Ahhhh the UNWRITTEN rules. SO who are the very JUDGMENTAL people who comprise this extremely long(I am guessing of course) list if Unwritten rules? I would think that anyone could write them. SO one person writes long pants must be worn, btu another says NO shorts can be. Which of these super secret rules do I follow!!

Give it a rest!! AS long as you are not dirty and stinking, do your thing!!

People are complaining that the way people dress can ruin a meal. Thats sad. You are on vacation. Relax. Just wear something YOU feel comfortable in and make sure its not swim wear, flip flops, tank tops, pajamas. Its 2018 people. If you wanna dress up, go for it. If you dont want to glam up, so be it. I can tell you on formal night Im walking into that dining room with my Kakki pants and a simple polo and Im gonna stuff my face and enjoy my food not worrying about a thing. If it ruined your meal, so be it. Next time wear your Tuxedo and ball gown and order room service if its such a problem. Thank god its "suggested" and NOT "Required"

Material Boy 305

People are complaining that the way people dress can ruin a meal. Thats sad. You are on vacation. Relax. Just wear something YOU feel comfortable in and make sure its not swim wear, flip flops, tank tops, pajamas. Its 2018 people. If you wanna dress up, go for it. If you dont want to glam up, so be it. I can tell you on formal night Im walking into that dining room with my Kakki pants and a simple polo and Im gonna stuff my face and enjoy my food not worrying about a thing. If it ruined your meal, so be it. Next time wear your Tuxedo and ball gown and order room service if its such a problem. Thank god its "suggested" and NOT "Required"

Material Boy 305

Why stop at flip flops, tank tops and pajamas? Why not just let people wear those in the MDR? Hell, how about letting people come naked if they want?

Why stop at flip flops, tank tops and pajamas? Why not just let people wear those in the MDR? Hell, how about letting people come naked if they want?

Curious; are you more offended that people break "rules", or do you just think the dress is too casual as is and want it more of a fine dining experience?

I agree with you that there are no longer any standards of behavior, manners, language or even decency for that matter. Rationalize the reasons all you want but we are worse off as a society because of it.

Sorry you feel that way. Perhaps, in time you’ll see things differently. It’s not complete anarchy. We’re dealing with a wonderful problem to have to argue about. I for one am extremely proud of this argument, because it means we are all fortunate enough to let this petty difference of opinion become front and center.

I would only image his the less fortunate would take to this type of ridiculous banter.

I must be the luckiest man in the world...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

What you wear does not make you who you are. Its not your body or your skin so worry about yourself. If you dont like people glammed out then stay and order room service. If you dont like sitting next to a person in jeans and a polo shirt with sandals then go order room service. I can care less if I sit next to a guy dressed as Batman or a Princess in a long gown dressed as Cinderella. We are there to have FUN. Enjoy a getaway and relax. Some peiple are WAY to into themselves. You only live once. Make the best of it.

Material Boy 305

The second one

I'm not going to say you are "wrong", but if that is your preference 4000-6000 guest floating amusement parks aimed at multi-generational families aren't going to fulfill your wishes. Even "traditional" lines are moving away from it, but your best bet would maybe be Princess or even HAL.