Eric Lanlards Afternoon Tea on Brittania

Bobblehat71

A nice experience in the Epicurean but too sickly sweet for us and not enough savouries. In my opinion save your money and go and have the afternoon tea in the MDR at 3pm. Its free and very nice. They section off part of the restaurant and its nicely served from fancy platters with a decent selection.

A nice experience in the Epicurean but too sickly sweet for us and not enough savouries. In my opinion save your money and go and have the afternoon tea in the MDR at 3pm. Its free and very nice. They section off part of the restaurant and its nicely served from fancy platters with a decent selection.

Thanks for the info, wasn't sure if they still did afternoon tea on the MDR.

Hi, I have to disagree I'm afraid.

Eric's tea is amazing! Yes it's filling, but it is unlike any other afternoon tea you will ever have. It is definitely worth trying.

The afternoon tea in the ordinary restaurants is, well, ordinary. Nice, but ordinary.

Sent from my Sony Z1 Compact.

Agree - we found it far too sweet. We also thought the macaroons were like stones and the scones were no better than what you get in the MDR.

Hi, I have to disagree I'm afraid.

Eric's tea is amazing! Yes it's filling, but it is unlike any other afternoon tea you will ever have. It is definitely worth trying.

The afternoon tea in the ordinary restaurants is, well, ordinary. Nice, but ordinary.

Sent from my Sony Z1 Compact.

Yes but if you have that one you would never eat you dinner.. :)

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Have done the Eric Lanlard Afternoon Tea on both Britannia and Ventura. It is an entirely different experience to the afternoon tea in the main dining rooms. The two are not comparable.

The quality, variety and uniqueness (I won't spoil the experience by describing all the details) are fantastic. I would give it a good 9/10 versus 5/10 for the main dining room version. It's only served on sea days and is a good diversion when there is little else to do on board.

You will always find people who don't like it / feel it's a waste of money because you can get 'free' food elsewhere etc but if, like us, you like upmarket, exclusive and unique experiences rather than the Butlins like mass processing, you won't be dissaponted. The only negative is that you will struggle with dinner!

Britannia is a foodies heaven. Having found the main dining rooms in recent years to be more akin to 3 star hotels, we tend to use the Select Dining restaurants nowadays where the service, food quality and overall experience are a class apart. The Epicurean on Britannia is our favourite restaurant at sea and better than some land based Michelin star restaurants we have dined in. Out of interest, the one on Ventura isn't as good, as we found out a few weeks ago.

Have done the Eric Lanlard Afternoon Tea on both Britannia and Ventura. It is an entirely different experience to the afternoon tea in the main dining rooms. The two are not comparable.

The quality, variety and uniqueness (I won't spoil the experience by describing all the details) are fantastic. I would give it a good 9/10 versus 5/10 for the main dining room version. It's only served on sea days and is a good diversion when there is little else to do on board.

You will always find people who don't like it / feel it's a waste of money because you can get 'free' food elsewhere etc but if, like us, you like upmarket, exclusive and unique experiences rather than the Butlins like mass processing, you won't be dissaponted. The only negative is that you will struggle with dinner!

Britannia is a foodies heaven. Having found the main dining rooms in recent years to be more akin to 3 star hotels, we tend to use the Select Dining restaurants nowadays where the service, food quality and overall experience are a class apart. The Epicurean on Britannia is our favourite restaurant at sea and better than some land based Michelin star restaurants we have dined in. Out of interest, the one on Ventura isn't as good, as we found out a few weeks ago.

Totally agree with everything.

Britannia is a foodies heaven and a stunning ship in to the bargain.

Shame you say The Epicurean isn't as good on Ventura - why was that?

I agree that the balance was wrong when we had tea on the last trip, although first time we had it there was no problem.

I was also a bit put out when they started clearing the tables around us while we were still eating. I would expect that as everyone started at the same time it would have been possible to let everyone finish before stripping the tablecloths off.

I don't think we would do this again.

I would agree that the Epicurean is lovely for breakfast and a definite plus factor for a suite, but its about time they changed the dinner menu. Its my personal opinion that the afternoon tea is swayed to the sweet offerings and not enough savoury ones and didn't expect to have a character assassination for my thoughts.

I would agree that the Epicurean is lovely for breakfast and a definite plus factor for a suite, but its about time they changed the dinner menu. Its my personal opinion that the afternoon tea is swayed to the sweet offerings and not enough savoury ones and didn't expect to have a character assassination for my thoughts.

HI totally agree re the afternoon tea - far too many very sweet, sweet 'things'. We had ours on the frst day of the cruise, thinking that if we tried it at the end we may be fed up of seeing food by then and would enjoy it less! Well, first full day on the ship and neither of us enjoyed it - and hubby has a very sweet tooth.

You will always find people who don't like it / feel it's a waste of money because you can get 'free' food elsewhere etc but if, like us, you like upmarket, exclusive and unique experiences rather than the Butlins like mass processing, you won't be dissaponted.
To clarify as I feel this comment was partly aimed at me, I can only report on my experience last year on Britannia. The scones were not as good as the MDR, and from memory other items were not up to scratch either. I'm not saying this because I could get it free in the MDR I'm saying it because it was not worth the cover charge - the table behind us actually walked out. Upmarket and exclusive it certainly was not.

We had a totally different experience to our evening meal which we thoroughly enjoyed - recommend that.

To clarify as I feel this comment was partly aimed at me, I can only report on my experience last year on Britannia. The scones were not as good as the MDR, and from memory other items were not up to scratch either. I'm not saying this because I could get it free in the MDR I'm saying it because it was not worth the cover charge - the table behind us actually walked out. Upmarket and exclusive it certainly was not.

We had a totally different experience to our evening meal which we thoroughly enjoyed - recommend that.

If I may clarify as well, my comments weren't aimed at you or anybody for that matter. It was just our opinion. It's always interesting that something that one person loves another may hate and vice-versa. Both observations are equally valid as it relates to how we individually felt and sometimes a great or appalling experience can just be down to the waiter you have, rowdy guests on nearby tables, a poor cut of meat etc etc.

We love the Select dining restaurants as they are a more exclusive experience, less rushed, lots of nice touches, the best waiting staff on the ship, best quality food etc. But they can be inconsistent by ship. Over 2 cruises on Britannia we have used Epicurean over 20 times for breakfast (suite benefit), around 6 times for dinner, Sindhu around 4 times for dinner and twice for lunch, Beach House 4 times, Glass House the same and Limelight Club. Without exception, every meal (food and service) has been great. However, on Ventura a few weeks ago, only Sindhu was of the same standard. Epicurean and Beach House were both well below the standard on Britannia.

I certainly don't mean to criticise those who don't like Select dining. In fact, being completely selfish, I'm glad lots of people don't see the value in it as it leaves them quieter, which suits us. That's the great thing about modern cruise ships. If you want an all inclusive food offer you are very well catered for and although service can be patchy, food is usually quite good. But if you want something more exclusive and upmarket and are prepared to pay a small supplement for the privelige, you are also well catered for.

Please see my comments above.

I agree with you regarding the Epicurean menu. It's time they changed it. It's all lovely but I've grown a bit tired of it and would like to try something new. The breakfast menu (for suite passengers) is a bit too restricted as well and could do with an update.

Totally agree with everything.

Britannia is a foodies heaven and a stunning ship in to the bargain.

Shame you say The Epicurean isn't as good on Ventura - why was that?

It was down to a few things. If you can be bothered to plough through it, here's my review on our recent 4 day Ventura cruise. As I say in the review, I can't help but feel that many of the shortcomings were due to it being a short cruise and the staff were disengaged as a result. The restaurant manager in Epicurean (a lady) was also brusque and unhelpful, a complete contrast to what we have experienced on Britannia.

http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=567521

It was down to a few things. If you can be bothered to plough through it, here's my review on our recent 4 day Ventura cruise. As I say in the review, I can't help but feel that many of the shortcomings were due to it being a short cruise and the staff were disengaged as a result. The restaurant manager in Epicurean (a lady) was also brusque and unhelpful, a complete contrast to what we have experienced on Britannia.

http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=567521

I did read through it - not every word I'll be honest - but I certainly got the jist.

Shame about breakfast, but it is one of those things of life that if a product is replicated it is not always of the same standard as the original. We love The Glass House, but the best one is certainly the original on Azura.

I certainly don't mean to criticise those who don't like Select dining. In fact, being completely selfish, I'm glad lots of people don't see the value in it as it leaves them quieter, which suits us. That's the great thing about modern cruise ships. If you want an all inclusive food offer you are very well catered for and although service can be patchy, food is usually quite good. But if you want something more exclusive and upmarket and are prepared to pay a small supplement for the privelige, you are also well catered for.

Perhaps it's not what you intend, Selbourne, but when you refer to liking "upmarket, exclusive and unique experiences rather than the Butlins like mass processing", it does sound dismissive and, dare I say, a little patronising. I like upmarket, exclusive and unique, but the reality is I'm on a budget and so can only afford to eat in the Select dining venues maybe once or twice on a two-week cruise. I also have to take into account what the rest of my family like and whether the money is better spent on a dining experience that only I may enjoy, or a shore excursion, say, that all of us will enjoy.

I absolutely respect your opinion and your right to take a different view to me: I don't particularly like Britannia as a ship, I didn't have the Lanlard afternoon tea (as I don't really have a sweet tooth it doesn't sound as though it would suit me), but I did have one of the cakes from the Market Café (which I think are supposed to be Lanlard's) and it was a huge disappointment. It was supposed to be Sachertorte - well, I've eaten Sachertorte at the Hotel Sacher in Vienna and it was nothing like the real thing. My daughter's white chocolate creation was equally disappointing.

Happy (Select) dining :)

Perhaps it's not what youintend, Selbourne, but when you refer to liking "upmarket, exclusive and unique experiences rather than the Butlins like mass processing", it does sound dismissive and, dare I say, a little patronising. I like upmarket, exclusive and unique, but the reality is I'm on a budget and so can only afford to eat in the Select dining venues maybe once or twice on a two-week cruise. I also have to take into account what the rest of my family like and whether the money is better spent on a dining experience that only I may enjoy, or a shore excursion, say, that all of us will enjoy.

I absolutely respect your opinion and your right to take a different view to me: I don't particularly like Britannia as a ship, I didn't have the Lanlard afternoon tea (as I don't really have a sweet tooth it doesn't sound as though it would suit me), but I did have one of the cakes from the Market Café (which I think are supposed to be Lanlard's) and it was a huge disappointment. It was supposed to be Sachertorte - well, I've eaten Sachertorte at the Hotel Sacher in Vienna and it was nothing like the real thing. My daughter's white chocolate creation was equally disappointing.

Happy (Select) dining :)

With respect, I can't help it if you chose to (wrongly) interpret it that way. If you read my post carefully I am not being critical of anyone who chooses not to use Select Dining. I am just expressing my own personal opinion, likes and dislikes as we are all entitled to do - yourself included. We use the main dining rooms daily, mostly for lunch but also for dinner at times. The food is usually pretty good, even if the service (particularly on Freedom Dining) can be a little rushed and impersonal, hence my comment about mass processing. But, given a choice, we prefer to use the Select Dining venues. As I have already said, I like the fact that modern cruise ships allow both options.

I do find this forum very useful and have learned a lot from it. I also hope that others may have gained a few tips from me as well. But, I have to say, that it is quite tiresome when some people, rather than just expressing their own views or experiences, have to do so by challenging or trying to undermine somebody else's personal opinion.

The fact that anyone is on a budget, can't afford to use Select Dining venues or chooses not to is something that I would fully respect and would not humiliate them for. Equally, to try to undermine someone's point on the grounds that you can't afford it yourself is irrelevant to the discussion and, dare I say it, smacks a bit of jealousy, which is an equally unpleasant trait.

To end on a lighter note, the highlight of my year when I was a child was our family holiday to Butlins. Using that analogy doesn't always imply a negative :)

Here is my take on Eric Lanlard’s Afternoon Tea on Britannia.

Positives

· There is lots of food

· At £15 it is fairly priced for what you get

· There is an elegant feel to the proceedings

· There are plenty of indulgent dessert type offerings that would appeal to those with a sweet tooth

· The light Meringue item served in the glass jar was utterly delicious

Negatives

· There is lots of food

· If you eat it all, your evening meal will be spoiled

· The savoury offerings didn’t taste that special and are on the heavy side

· Each item could comfortably be reduced in size by half

· Scones sub-par; far too big and heavy

· The sweet offerings tended to be overly rich and not quite appropriate as part of Afternoon Tea

Britannia%20Afternoon%20Tea%20Menu%20Teas_zpsw6hosy1p.jpg

Britannia%20Afternoon%20Tea%20Menu%20Food_zpsexw64xp8.jpg

Britannia%20Afternoon%20Tea%20Food%20Display_zpss2k7c0gw.jpg

Summary

Glad to have tried it for the experience. Wouldn’t repeat it even at half the price. In the context of being on a cruise with lots of food available; just don’t see the point. Too much; too heavy; too rich. If we were talking about the same experience on land where it was going to be the culinary highlight of the day, then for those with a hearty appetite and a sweet tooth, it is arguably worth considering.

Having done both, I totally agree with you. We did not like all the sickly stuff, too sweet for us and too much of it. The savouries had a strange mixture of tastes. We also liked the good old builders tea (breakfast really)

That said, I am sure there are others out there that loved it.

We also like upmarket, exclusive food, but did not like Eric's tea. Would much sooner go to the Epicurean and Sindhu.

JUST DID NOT LIKE IT!!

My husband and I loved it.

Yes, there are sweet items, but we either didn't eat them all, or left them completely. We still enjoyed the experience, and, in fact, have experienced both menus.

We would definitely do it again.

• 2 weeks later...

I liked it but agree that the scones were too big & heavy. The "free" afternoon tea was ok but yes it was quite ordinary & on Britannia, I got the impression that the restaurant staff were herding people & trying to get them to sit together which was very odd!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums