How as a result of the latest increase do you intend to tip on their next P&O Cruise?

kalos

As a result of the latest increase, How will you tip on your next P&O Cruise ?  

153 members have voted

1. 1. As a result of the latest increase, How will you tip on your next P&O Cruise ?

• YES I will pay the new auto service charge
    • NO I will not pay the new service charge
    • Prefer to pay in person without the new service charge
    • Prefer to pay the staff in person as well as the new service charge
    • I may reduce the new auto service to what I deem to be fair

How as a result of the latest increase do you intend to tip on their next P&O Cruise?

Please be honest it is a secret poll and if you pay extra thats fine BUT the question is

about your View on the £7 .00 service charge.

LOL,how is it secret? I shall do what we mostly do. Remove and use an envelope. And as I have not been informed yet of the increase and we travel in April?

Take that to be option 3 then ;p:):). I have not been informed but if you read your Cruise Personaliser I should be in there .

How is it secret ? I did not tick the box to show posters names or how they voted .

It’s the sad people who leave the tips, and tip again. But, of course, this comes out of their obc.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Cannot see why this is sad, you pay by leaving the auto-gratuities in place then tip again. The staff get more cash but somehow other passengers are sad at my decision?

Regards John

It’s the sad people who leave the tips, and tip again. But, of course, this comes out of their obc.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Just because people don’t do as you do (or would wish them to) doesn’t make them ‘sad’. I call it generous. I would not be prepared to work like they do full stop, let alone for the money that they get paid, and I would suggest that very few British people would. To many of these staff, who have left their families behind in 3rd world countries, the lifestyles that we lead, spending thousands on just a holiday, must make us all seem like millionaires to them. So if I choose to show my appreciation by giving those who have gone out of their way to make my holiday extra special something additional to the service charge, then that is my prerogative. And, as I have said several times, OBC is my money, not P&O’s, as combined with the fare it equates to the net price I have paid. So anyone with OBC is paying just as much of their own money on the service charge as those with no OBC.

Agree, nothing sad about it at all. And it's nothing to do with anyone else what you choose to do, nor what I choose to do.[/quote]

My sentiments as well , the other day when I finished a post along the same lines Millers posted response " Correct " Maybe a change of mind ?? :)

I just hope this poll does not end up in a name calling thread if the poll does not follow any posters view.

Glad you like the poll Bee-ess saw your post, so here it is :)

Hi Kalos....interesting idea you have come up with....a poll to see how people " tip".

Another idea for you would be to start up a voting platform to see who would....or would not...like tips/gratuities/service charge included in the basic fare....maybe results could be passed on to P&O....just a thought

Hi Kalos....interesting idea you have come up with....a poll to see how people " tip".

Another idea for you would be to start up a voting platform to see who would....or would not...like tips/gratuities/service charge included in the basic fare....maybe results could be passed on to P&O....just a thought

Excellent idea

I would suggest it is a simple yes no answer, don't give options of what you would do if you voted no. If you include those we will end up with another tipping discussion

Excellent idea

I would suggest it is a simple yes no answer, don't give options of what you would do if you voted no. If you include those we will end up with another tipping discussion

I totally agree ...just yes or no option

Great idea. I haven’t voted (yet) as the response I really wanted to give was that it should all be wrapped up into the fare. None the less, it is interesting to see how people will act in response to the hike in price of gratuities, given that we don’t have that option! I am currently inclined towards sticking with my current approach of paying the service charge and tipping exceptional staff (usually the cabin steward and, if we have a Suite, the breakfast staff in the Select dining restaurant) in addition, but I am awaiting clarity on a question I have posed to P&O before finally deciding. I could be swayed into the ‘boycott service charges until they are in the cruise price’ lobby, but only if I know for certain that staff I tip can keep it all in this circumstance. But this would still leave me with a dilemma over restaurant waiters as it would be totally impractical, if on Freedom Dining, to tip at every meal and those staff work tirelessly and I couldn’t sleep at night if I thought they were being deprived as a result of my petulance! As I have said before, this is the catch 22.

Cannot see why this is sad, you pay by leaving the auto-gratuities in place then tip again. The staff get more cash but somehow other passengers are sad at my decision?

Regards John

We leave autogratuities in place and tip extra cash when it is deserved.

Great idea. I haven’t voted (yet) as the response I really wanted to give was that it should all be wrapped up into the fare. None the less, it is interesting to see how people will act in response to the hike in price of gratuities, given that we don’t have that option! I am currently inclined towards sticking with my current approach of paying the service charge and tipping exceptional staff (usually the cabin steward and, if we have a Suite, the breakfast staff in the Select dining restaurant) in addition, but I am awaiting clarity on a question I have posed to P&O before finally deciding. I could be swayed into the ‘boycott service charges until they are in the cruise price’ lobby, but only if I know for certain that staff I tip can keep it all in this circumstance. But this would still leave me with a dilemma over restaurant waiters as it would be totally impractical, if on Freedom Dining, to tip at every meal and those staff work tirelessly and I couldn’t sleep at night if I thought they were being deprived as a result of my petulance! As I have said before, this is the catch 22.

We have discussed this morning what we should do with tips/service charge in April because like you, we would like to boycott the auto tip but we have booked freedom dining so have a dilemma about the waiters. We thought about switching to early dining, I don't want to go to the late seating because I find that I can't sleep if I eat too late. We usually eat around 7pm so we are going to go with paying the new auto tip this time but we have put off booking any further cruises for the moment while we decide what we really want to do. I feel at the moment that this increase is unjustified given the every lowering of standards on P&O. The only thing that has kept us with P&O for the last few years has been the fact that they do more ex-Southampton cruises than other lines. We need to looking other options for the future.

I look at the cost add on the gratuity and decide if the price is right for me and then make a booking. How the company describe any part of the cost is irrelevant. However if it is to be called a service charge rather than a tip I feel it should be compulsory and all should pay. Further if charged separately the fee should be per stateroom not per person.