Which cruise? 2 Cabo 1 PV, 2 PV 1 Cabo, or 1 in Cabo PV and Mazatlan

LandsB

Hi all,

I'm scoping out a 7 day Mexican cruise and there are 2 options. The numbers are days:

Cabo (2)

PV

PV (2)

Cabo

Cabo

Mazatlan

PV

We like nice beaches and pools. I'm investigating day passes to nice hotels now. It looks like (surprisingly) that Cabo might be the best place to spend 2 days. Cost isn't an issue - I'd just like the nicest surroundings and beach.

I was originally leaning toward 1 day in each port, but now now sure if Mazatlan is worth it, and instead I should spend 2 days in either PV or Cabo.

We might also consider an excursion like Las Caletas, which I'm taking into consideration.

Thanks for the advice.

L

We are prejudice since we live in (and love) Puerto Vallarta during the winter months :). So lets consider a few issues. Cabo has some better beaches. But PV is an amazing place when it comes to food, walking in town, etc. And if you do an overnight in PV, you can consider a night out in one of our decent restaurants (we have many) or doing a night excursion called "Rhythms of the Night" (this is the same area used for the daytime Las Caletas tour). I have lived in PV for the past 12 winters and Rhythms of the Night is the only tour we have ever taken in this area (PV is like our 2nd home and we do not normally need tours).

Hank

We are prejudice since we live in (and love) Puerto Vallarta during the winter months :). So lets consider a few issues. Cabo has some better beaches. But PV is an amazing place when it comes to food, walking in town, etc. And if you do an overnight in PV, you can consider a night out in one of our decent restaurants (we have many) or doing a night excursion called "Rhythms of the Night" (this is the same area used for the daytime Las Caletas tour). I have lived in PV for the past 12 winters and Rhythms of the Night is the only tour we have ever taken in this area (PV is like our 2nd home and we do not normally need tours).

Hank

Thanks Hank. I appreciate the feedback. It sounds like you love PV, which is great.

I don't think you're able to spend the night off the ship, but I'm going to look into that. I think you need to be back by 6 or 7pm if I remember correctly.

We also won't be as concerned with the food either.

Since you live there, can I ask you for feedback on a few resorts? Along with Las Caletas, I found the Hyatt Ziva and Riu. Both look pretty cool. What do you think of each? Is there another you'd recommend instead? I'm looking to get a day pass so my wife can feel like we're staying in an amazing resort overlooking the water :-)

That is actually a big factor in my decision. I could do Las Caletas and a resort IF the resort in PV would be better than doing a resort or two in Cabo.

I'd love others feedback as well, to these questions and my original.

Thanks!

Our Mexico cruise wound up being 2 days in Cabo and 1 in PV. Loved the extra day in Cabo- beautiful area, lots of activities to capture anyone's interest. We felt safe wandering around Cabo area, and would love to visit it again.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks Hank. I appreciate the feedback. It sounds like you love PV, which is great.

I don't think you're able to spend the night off the ship, but I'm going to look into that. I think you need to be back by 6 or 7pm if I remember correctly.

We also won't be as concerned with the food either.

Since you live there, can I ask you for feedback on a few resorts? Along with Las Caletas, I found the Hyatt Ziva and Riu. Both look pretty cool. What do you think of each? Is there another you'd recommend instead? I'm looking to get a day pass so my wife can feel like we're staying in an amazing resort overlooking the water :-)

That is actually a big factor in my decision. I could do Las Caletas and a resort IF the resort in PV would be better than doing a resort or two in Cabo.

I'd love others feedback as well, to these questions and my original.

Thanks!

What you say is really strange. We have done numerous overnights (on several cruise lines) and both passengers and crew always had complete freedom to come and go as they pleased once the ship was cleared. In fact, many of the crew on ships will get time off and go ashore until the wee hours of the morning. I should have added that nearly every (perhaps all) the ships that overnight here in PV offer an evening cruise ship tour to Rhythms of the Night. The company that operates the tours (and leases Las Caletas) is Vallarta Adventures and they have a policy of not knowingly selling their tours direct to cruisers (although anyone staying in PV is free to book Vallarta Adventure tours).

Hank

What you say is really strange. We have done numerous overnights (on several cruise lines) and both passengers and crew always had complete freedom to come and go as they pleased once the ship was cleared. In fact, many of the crew on ships will get time off and go ashore until the wee hours of the morning. I should have added that nearly every (perhaps all) the ships that overnight here in PV offer an evening cruise ship tour to Rhythms of the Night. The company that operates the tours (and leases Las Caletas) is Vallarta Adventures and they have a policy of not knowingly selling their tours direct to cruisers (although anyone staying in PV is free to book Vallarta Adventure tours).

Hank

This is interesting! I just looked again at the 2 nights in Cabo, and the first day says "Depart at 6pm" and then day two says "arrive 7am - depart at 4."

However, in PV the first day says "overnight stay."

I'm guessing this has something do do with the docking situation. Not sure if you can stay on land in cabo for the night, or have to be on the ship by 6?

I'll have to look into this.

This is interesting! I just looked again at the 2 nights in Cabo, and the first day says "Depart at 6pm" and then day two says "arrive 7am - depart at 4."

I'm guessing this has something do do with the docking situation. Not sure if you can stay on land in cabo for the night, or have to be on the ship by 6?

I would guess the difference is that in Cabo they stop running the tender boats at night. Since Cabo is a tender port. In PV there's an actual dock, so no worry about running little boats in the dark.

Hi all,

I'm scoping out a 7 day Mexican cruise and there are 2 options. The numbers are days:

Cabo (2)

PV

PV (2)

Cabo

Cabo

Mazatlan

PV

We like nice beaches and pools. I'm investigating day passes to nice hotels now. It looks like (surprisingly) that Cabo might be the best place to spend 2 days. Cost isn't an issue - I'd just like the nicest surroundings and beach.

I was originally leaning toward 1 day in each port, but now now sure if Mazatlan is worth it, and instead I should spend 2 days in either PV or Cabo.

We might also consider an excursion like Las Caletas, which I'm taking into consideration.

Thanks for the advice.

L

Take a look at my review from our recent Mexican Riviera cruise. Link: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2581330&page=9 Puerto Vallarta starts pg9 post 172. We stopped in PV, Mazatlan, and Cabo. We went to Las Caletas in PV.

I would guess the difference is that in Cabo they stop running the tender boats at night. Since Cabo is a tender port. In PV there's an actual dock, so no worry about running little boats in the dark.

You have it right. But when we are talking overnights in tender ports (pretty rare) the ship will sometimes take up their tenders and move a few miles out to sea..depending on currents, tides, wind and the forecast. But most overnights happen where a ship is securely docked...in which case the ship is open for passengers/crew to come and go all night. In Puerto Vallarta we can dock 3 cruise ships at a time....so there has never been a situation where a cruise ship has to stay in an anchorage all night....or pull back a few miles out to sea.

Hank

We’ve done many, many MR cruises.

Our favorite 7 day itin is the PV overnight. Many of the restaurants and night clubs don’t open until dinner. The ship is docked and open all night.

We also like the 3 port itin.

Our least favorite itin is the two days in Cabo. The tendering doesn’t bother us but we like to feel like we’re in Mexico, not America.

If you have the opportunity to take a longer cruise Princess does 9 & 10 day MR cruises out of San Pedro and San Francisco.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You can stay in Cabo overnight but you’ll need to let the ship know of your plans. If you don’t show up there’re protocols the ship needs to do when a pax misses the ship. If the tenders can not run the second day you’ll have to figure out a way to the next port.

Hi all,

Cabo (2)

PV

PV (2)

Cabo

Cabo

Mazatlan

PV

Thanks for the advice.

L

Hello,

We are maybe also biases as we own a place in PV as well at the Icon Vallarta. We are very very close to the cruise terminal that they are redoing may I add. PV is an amazing and easy place to walk in town the food is so good and many many good day excursion are available.

Some places have great beaches and lets not forget PV wonderful sunsets. The people also make it very enjoyable to visit or to have second home there.

When do you think of traveling there ? If we are in PV and our unit has not been rented I am very open to invite you to spend a day at our complex where you can enjoy the pool,beach and a great beach bar.

Sea ya

Eric

Hank

Hello,

Just answered the OP as well and feel the same as you about PV.

We own a place at the Icon Vallarta and love to see all the cruise ships going in and out of the port. I must say this is paradise.

How about you ?

Hello,

Just answered the OP as well and feel the same as you about PV.

We own a place at the Icon Vallarta and love to see all the cruise ships going in and out of the port. I must say this is paradise.

How about you ?

Live right on top of the Sea Monkey! Not only can we watch the ships enter and leave the port...but we can look down on the cruisers as they walk on the Malecon (most cruisers are easy to ID).

Hank

I say go with 1 day in 3 different ports. Each port has something different to offer. Honestly Cabo was probably our least favorite. In Mazatlan you can see the Mercado and the cathedral and then go to Stone Island. We loved stone island and thought it was a great beach break and it was cool to see a more authentic Mexico by going into town at Mazatlan before.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Question for the residents... in PV, is there a beach club type place you’d recommend? With beach chairs, where you can buy drinks and snacks?

We have quite a few if you simply want to eat and drink with an ocean view and perhaps stroll on the sand. You do not mention swimming so I will not go into that issue. But if you simply come into town and go to the Romantic Zone (Old Town) the beach is lines with plenty of decent places offering chairs, drinks (all quite safe) and all kinds of food. In fact, if you take a bus or taxi into Centro and walk south along the Malecon....you will eventually cross the Pedestrian Bridge into the Romantic Zone and soon come to the somewhat well known Sea Monkey (they have chairs on the beach and $1 beer and Margaritas). That is the first place in town with what you want. If you continue south of the Sea Monkey you will pass many other places with different menus (and prices). The general rule here is that as long as you drink (and eat) most places will not charge you anything for the chairs (but ask first). So you could actually stop at several different places and sample various snacks and drinks (everyone down here has their own recipe for Margaritas).

Hank

Hank - is your unit in the Vista Del Sol? We stayed in a condo there in May, 2016 -- loved the location!

Eric - where is your unit? looking at a HAL cruise in Nov/Dec that has an overnight in PV. Size/price?

Yep, although we are mere renters (for 10 weeks a year).

Hank