Rooms or cabins?

jeanlyon

When did it change to a "room"? It was always a cabin on a ship and for me still is? rooms are in hotels aren't they?

Not changed in our ‘cabin’

Sent from my iPad using Forums

When did it change to a "room"? It was always a cabin on a ship and for me still is? rooms are in hotels aren't they?

I know that Fred Olsen calls them "rooms", which always makes me wince whenever I see any of their adverts, but I thought that P&O still called them cabins? Or has there been a recent change that I've missed?

When you hear people referring to their room or their cabin it tells you a bit about them. They also speak of floors and not decks. The people selling cruises also seem to call them "Cruise Holidays" in case people think the cruise is not the holiday but the way of getting there and it seems to be exactly where they started which is disappointing.

Regards John

Nothing has changed Jean. They are still cabins and always have been. Just as they are still ships and not boats! Funny how different things can grate. My pet hate is when people put ‘the’ in front of ship names. We are going on Aurora soon - not ‘the’ Aurora :')

Stateroom and Cabin are pretty much the same. Back when there was no bathroom and the beds were upper and lower bunks attached to the bulkhead, those were definitely not staterooms.

Things changed when the purser’s desk became guest services and stewards became room attendants. And ships became buildings built on top of flat bottomed barges.

It’s alright, though, as long as I can be on the ocean.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Call them whatever you want for me - I say cabin, but if you want to call it a room that’s fine too. Just enjoy your cruise or your holiday or whatever you want to call it x

Stateroom and Cabin are pretty much the same. Back when there was no bathroom and the beds were upper and lower bunks attached to the bulkhead, those were definitely not staterooms.

Things changed when the purser’s desk became guest services and stewards became room attendants. And ships became buildings built on top of flat bottomed barges.

It’s alright, though, as long as I can be on the ocean.

At the risk of sounding pedantic (as this is a thread about P&O which, although ultimately owned by Carnival, is a British brand) P&O has never called them staterooms or rooms, only cabins. And stewards are still called stewards, not room attendants. We have yet to be fully Americanised ;)

At the risk of sounding pedantic (as this is a thread about P&O which, although ultimately owned by Carnival, is a British brand) P&O has never called them staterooms or rooms, only cabins. And stewards are still called stewards, not room attendants. We have yet to be fully Americanised ;)

Look out! We’re creeping up on you!

I have just checked my booking and I'm definitely staying in a cabin but I did tick the do not upgrade box so no stateroom or room for me ! ;) :') :)

I agree with other posters that you book to go on a ship not a boat ,them orange things hung over the side are called boats. (tender/lifeboats)

Both of the above ,ships and boats travel along the surface of the water so why did someone decide to class a submarine a boat ? :confused: :)

I noticed the phenomenon starting a few years back when they started calling it "Bingo" instead of Housey Housey.

Regards John