One week to go. What jobs are left to do?

Jo and Rob

I've packed and weighed my case (taken the dresses back out so they don't get creased). I've printed my e-ticket from the personaliser and from my TA. Luggage labels on. Currency ready. Fact sheets about destinations printed. Copies of excursion details printed. Dartford Tunnel prepaid. Nails booked Friday but that's it.

How do you spend the week running up to your cruise. What have I forgotten?

I've packed and weighed my case (taken the dresses back out so they don't get creased). I've printed my e-ticket from the personaliser and from my TA. Luggage labels on. Currency ready. Fact sheets about destinations printed. Copies of excursion details printed. Dartford Tunnel prepaid. Nails booked Friday but that's it.

Thinking about it:

• checking the weather for the places we are visiting
  • reading reviews
  • looking at Youtube clips
  • making sure that the housework is done
  • making sure that the pets are going to be ok and 'pet sitters' all sorted
  • gardening to make sure that we don't come home to a jungle (August)
  • last minute shopping - there is always time for a last minute bargain
  • reading Cruise Critic and the roll call to get me in the mood

Am sure that there are more 'traditions'

I have 2 weeks to go and have just got cases down from the loft. I have ordered currency and received E tickets and luggage labels. I am in the process now of making my lists.....I love lists. I have got my medication requirements.

My week before list looks very similar to yours without the pet care requirements. I have a Cruise drawer that contains all the little useful things I take e.g. magnets, a 4 gang adaptor, a small bag with 3 zip compartments that carry my cruise card, phone and kindle around the ship. It also has a shoe horn and various other bits ad bobs. I find it saves a lot if time having all these things in one place.

I also have a checklist for packing all essentials I.e. .passports, tickets, currency, medications and spectacles

I love the last couple of weeks. It's when the fun begins. Have a great holiday!!

Sent from my SM-P550 using Forums mobile app

We usually have house sitters so we spring clean the house, catch up with friends and family, get our hair cut, manicure and pedicure for me as well as what we always do. The week goes in a flash

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Check you have your passport several times a day. Check your packing list several times a day. Have everything to hand ready to pack the day before you go, and finally.....don't do what I did.

I have a 8 weekly repeat prescription which I collect from my chemist. As the present batch runs out 3 days before the end of my cruise I arranged to get the repeat 2 weeks early, no problem said the chemist, we do it all the time. so I popped in Tuesday to collect it and guess what ,they had forgotten to order it! :eek: to make matters worse it might not be ready until after I have left for my cruise :eek::eek:

They admitted their mistake and faxed the repeat request to the doctors surgery etc etc. They also said they would phone me as soon as it arrived, no phone call so far. If there is no phone call this morning I will be there this afternoon and hopefully I don't have a stroke or heart attack. Actually it is a heart drug that is 6 tablets short.

PANIC, STRESS, PANIC , STRESS :loudcry::mad::eek:

Some good suggestions above.

I usually do a batch of cooking eg soups, stews, chilli and freeze it so that for the first few days back I have ready made food when we are muddling about with unpacking and laundry. It also uses up any left over veg in the fridge so that I can give it a full clean down along with the rest of the kitchen. We then eat out the day before we travel so no mess.

I was extremely glad of that little habit when we got back last week to find a snowdrift outside the house and that the shops had no food!

Check you have your passport several times a day. Check your packing list several times a day. Have everything to hand ready to pack the day before you go, and finally.....don't do what I did.

I have a 8 weekly repeat prescription which I collect from my chemist. As the present batch runs out 3 days before the end of my cruise I arranged to get the repeat 2 weeks early, no problem said the chemist, we do it all the time. so I popped in Tuesday to collect it and guess what ,they had forgotten to order it! :eek: to make matters worse it might not be ready until after I have left for my cruise :eek::eek:

They admitted their mistake and faxed the repeat request to the doctors surgery etc etc. They also said they would phone me as soon as it arrived, no phone call so far. If there is no phone call this morning I will be there this afternoon and hopefully I don't have a stroke or heart attack. Actually it is a heart drug that is 6 tablets short.

PANIC, STRESS, PANIC , STRESS :loudcry::mad::eek:

My OH had exactly the same situation, he went to the doctor's surgery and explained the problem to the receptionist who simply printed off the prescription and slipped into the first doctor who became available to get it signed. Quick walk to the pharmacy next door and problem solved. It may be worthwhile trying this if it looks like you are not going to get your medication in time.

Some good suggestions above.

I usually do a batch of cooking eg soups, stews, chilli and freeze it so that for the first few days back I have ready made food when we are muddling about with unpacking and laundry. It also uses up any left over veg in the fridge so that I can give it a full clean down along with the rest of the kitchen. We then eat out the day before we travel so no mess.

I was extremely glad of that little habit when we got back last week to find a snowdrift outside the house and that the shops had no food!

Never thought of doing that but will try it in the future. Thanks for the idea.

I’m sure you’ll get it sorted davecttr- you may need a cruise afterwards to recover though!

On the domestic front, make sure you’ve got cards etc organised for any birthdays happening at home whilst you’re away and check the TV schedules in case you want to record anything

Travel insurance documents and EHIC card if applicable. Notified your mobile phone service provider that you are going to be abroad (if necessary).

Made sure house plants are well watered.

Set central heating timer to tick over while you are away (unless you have one of these clever Hive thingies).

We're like Eglesbrech - make sure there are quick and easy meals in the freezer for at least the first couple of days, so we don't have to go out and shop straight away (apart from maybe milk and bread).

Copy of travel insurance with Passports - just in case. Pack of anti bacterial wipes to go over the cabin when you arrive - for the parts that don’t usually get done eg TV remote and door handles. Medication you will / May need.

Have a great cruise.

Have a great cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We leave the end of next week,we so often have trouble with my OH's meds,I will put hers & mine in together,mine turns up at the pharmacy but the Docs swear blind they haven't had one for her,sad thing is they never seem bothered either!

I got the medications but the chemist yet again forgot to phone me. a good outcome seems to be that I will now get my repeat prescriptions 3 weeks early so have a contingency reserve for holidays. Doing the carry on packing today and the main case tomorrow :)

Everyone seems super-organised on these threads, love the idea of a cruise drawer, packing lists/spreadsheets and now I’m just going to photograph our passports. This will be our first proper cruise so we have a lot to learn, I’m hoping it will be the first cruise of many. This time next week we should be on Britannia in Barbados :)

Jaywader - can I just ask what are the magnets for?

Thanks

Julie

Everyone seems super-organised on these threads, love the idea of a cruise drawer, packing lists/spreadsheets and now I’m just going to photograph our passports. This will be our first proper cruise so we have a lot to learn, I’m hoping it will be the first cruise of many. This time next week we should be on Britannia in Barbados :)

Thanks

Julie

Hi Julie G57..loved your post. we've been cruising for many years and still learning little wrinkles from threads like this. It's how I learned about magnets. They are so useful. The walls of your cabin will be metal so magnets are very useful to keep your cabin tidy by holding your tour tickets, invitations etc. And if you are celebrating they will hold your cards. My cruise drawer is invaluable (another idea from a Cruise community). My advice to any new (or old) cruises is to keep in contact with a Cruise community and never stop learning. Enjoy your cruise

Sent from my SM-P550 using Forums mobile app

Thanks

Julie

I wonder if we are on the same flight. I've had to take off my luggage labels and put new ones on as our guarantee cabin has changed! No wonder they say leave the printing off documents until just before you sail.

We fly from Manchester on Friday Jo. One of my lanyards arrived yesterday ( a very nice blingy crystal one for evenings) the plain ones should be en route. Just need to get some post-it notes and magnets now and do some printing this week and I’m all set. Hair is booked for Tuesday and nails on Thursday, need to decide between coral and hot pink.

Thanks for all the advice :)