Europe vs US

I am at the very early stages of planning a trip to europe. It will probably be in 2-3 years. I was thinking about possibly doing a cruise while there. I have heard that the food is different. Any orher differences? Tia

I am at the very early stages of planning a trip to europe. It will probably be in 2-3 years. I was thinking about possibly doing a cruise while there. I have heard that the food is different. Any orher differences? Tia

No, Europe is just like Texas.:):):):)

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Really, you name it and it is different.:)

Fly to Europe 2 days early to get over jet lag and see the port you are leaving from

Check out the Europe ports of call boards and read a book

https://www.amazon.com/Rick-Steves-Mediterranean-Cruise-Ports/dp/1612385060

I've done two European cruises, one on Royal, the other on Celebrity. As far as the ship's food is concerned, not much difference. If you think you will be getting more European cuisine, well that was not my experience.

I wouldn’t do a cruise my first time there if it were me. I prefer to immerse my self in the local culture and that can’t be done on a cruise. Way too little time in port at each stop. Just think about stopping in Rome on a cruise. You get maybe 3/4 of a day to see the city. You could literally spend weeks in Rome and still not see everything worth seeing. Same goes for most of the big cities.

If you want to relax, a cruise is great but if you really want to see the sights and explore it is very hard to do much cruising. River cruising might be the exception here but I don’t know as I’ve never done one.

There are big pros and cons to doing it each way so just make sure you think about each.

Europe is great, and if you are talking about taking two weeks, with one week in hotels, and one on the ship, than it's even better. Food in Europe is no different than food in the USA. So I'm not sure where you heard that. The ship has the same menu. On occasions, they add maybe one or two items that might be more locally sourced. Understand the ship is filled with food from local suppliers. If they don't have a "green veggie" than they replace it with a different "green veggie". Chicken, pork, beef, lamb and seafood are the same! Just about any city you visit, the food is the same (but usually better) than in the USA. Example, pizza is good in many big cities like NYC, but have it in Rome, and you will never like Domino's again.

I wouldn’t do a cruise my first time there if it were me. I prefer to immerse my self in the local culture and that can’t be done on a cruise. Way too little time in port at each stop. Just think about stopping in Rome on a cruise. You get maybe 3/4 of a day to see the city. You could literally spend weeks in Rome and still not see everything worth seeing. Same goes for most of the big cities.

If you want to relax, a cruise is great but if you really want to see the sights and explore it is very hard to do much cruising. River cruising might be the exception here but I don’t know as I’ve never done one.

There are big pros and cons to doing it each way so just make sure you think about each.

But some people only get to take one trip to Europe, so I vote for a cruise. You will see more variety that way and if you are fortunate to go back, you can decide what places you would like to visit for a longer time.

Europe is great, and if you are talking about taking two weeks, with one week in hotels, and one on the ship, than it's even better. Food in Europe is no different than food in the USA. So I'm not sure where you heard that. The ship has the same menu. On occasions, they add maybe one or two items that might be more locally sourced. Understand the ship is filled with food from local suppliers. If they don't have a "green veggie" than they replace it with a different "green veggie". Chicken, pork, beef, lamb and seafood are the same! Just about any city you visit, the food is the same (but usually better) than in the USA. Example, pizza is good in many big cities like NYC, but have it in Rome, and you will never like Domino's again.

Then have it in Naples and you'll never have Roman pizza again ;)

We go on a European cruise every year and love it! Like Mek said, you get to see more places. We’ve only sailed once on RCL in Europe, usually we sail on MSC in Europe. I’ve noticed that more people eat later on European cruises, more people tend to stay on the ship in port and some of the announcements will be in two, three or even four languages. I’ve also noticed that slightly more people seem to dress up on formal nights. These are just my observations, others may have had different experiences.

But some people only get to take one trip to Europe, so I vote for a cruise. You will see more variety that way and if you are fortunate to go back, you can decide what places you would like to visit for a longer time.

Not sure exactly what the op is asking. But having done lots of land based travel in Europe and some cruising over there I would have to say if you only have a week or two to see Europe dont waste most of it on a cruise ship. There is just too much too see and do in Europe and the history is amazing. It really takes at least a few days in a city to get the flavor of it and get a feel. Plus you would miss most or all of the cities at night (barring being docked overnight which I think is rare on royal).

Now if you just want to island hop in Greece or just relax and see things from far away, or go to smaller places you would never visit otherwise then a cruise might be the ticket. But the big cities in Europe are best seen from close up and require several days to scratch the surface.

If I had three weeks I could totally see spending one of them on a cruise but if I only had two weeks I myself would not consider a cruise but instead do it all on land.

On the Norwegian Spirit the first day out of Venice headed to Athens we had a German ompa band at lunch and all kinds of German foods. Other days there were tastes of other countries, but much was the usual. We hit 10 ports in 12 days, not exactly a relaxing cruise.

Last year we did just what Havingfun2010 mentioned. We took 2 weeks spent a couple of days in London, then cruised out of Southampton and then spent more time wandering around England. Yes, the port stops don't give you a lot of time to explore, but we now know where we want to go back and spend more time.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

I'd look on the boards of European cruise lines if you are looking for a different sort of cruise experience. I'm pretty sure if you take a Royal Caribbean cruise out of a European port, it's pretty much the same as if the cruise is out of Orlando. At least I'm hoping. I'm an American who has booked a RC cruise out of Copenhagen after living in Germany for nearly a decade. I'm looking to have an American vacation without the jetlag, flights and expense. If you are American and visiting Europe, you probably want the opposite!

I'd look on the boards of European cruise lines if you are looking for a different sort of cruise experience. I'm pretty sure if you take a Royal Caribbean cruise out of a European port, it's pretty much the same as if the cruise is out of Orlando. At least I'm hoping. I'm an American who has booked a RC cruise out of Copenhagen after living in Germany for nearly a decade. I'm looking to have an American vacation without the jetlag, flights and expense. If you are American and visiting Europe, you probably want the opposite!

We were on Vision of the Seas for the British Isle Cruise last May. Other than having more British headliners and having to turn in our passports for Ireland, it was virtually indistinguishable from the cruises I’ve taken out of Boston or Seattle. It was less of a party vibe than Florida or San Juan cruises. I think you will be good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We always do a pre or post cruise tour on our own in connection with a European cruise.

We have found the food to be generally the same on cruise ships out of Europe, with some exceptions. For cruises out of Britain, we notice that Celebrity in particular will have breakfast items that appeal to British cruisers. You will find all the items that make up a typical English breakfast.

We chose a cruise for our first trip to Europe. We did a week long cruise out of Civitevecchia (Rome). We spent two days pre-cruise in Rome to acclimate to the time change and to get to see a little more of Rome. We read all the books we could find and I spent a lot of time here on Cruise Critic getting advice. We found reliable private drivers and tours and since there were five of us, we did these alone to be able to maximize the time we spent at the places we wanted to see. Absolutely EVERY place we visited was special and our drivers and tour guides were incredible. They helped us enjoy wonderful local restaurants, got us out of the ports first and to each place ahead of all the buses. They took care of the tickets needed for museums and such and had the timeline to get there down to a science. Immersing yourself in a European city or country is great, but for a first trip, we felt the cruise was fabulous. No unpacking. No checking in or out of hotels. Breakfast ready before heading out each morning. A meal waiting on us in the evenings before collapsing in bed. We decided to spend one more day and night in Rome post cruise, rather than be in a rush to make a flight on the day the cruise was over. What a terrible sacrifice to have to spend one more day and night in Rome (lol). It was so perfect that upon returning home, we booked another cruise for the following year. I'd go again in a heartbeat. We didn't really find the food much different than other cruises, except I think they may have added a few dishes for the diverse nationalities of the passengers. We spent about a year and a half planning the second one and we had about a year after we returned to plan the second one. Hiring a private driver and guide was more expensive than trying to use the trains but it saved a lot of time and we felt like it was worth it. We wanted to get the most bang for the buck because we felt like this was a trip of a lifetime and we were not disappointed in one single thing.

Food in Europe is no different than food in the USA. So I'm not sure where you heard that.

WOW, did you eat in any local places? Or did you eat in McDonald's and TGI Fridays?

Oops, even the menu at McDonald's changes by country.

Yes, you can get similar foods to the US. But the food is NOT the same, unless you try to make it the same.

But I have yet to see haggis and black pudding on a US breakfast buffet. :D

Not sure exactly what the op is asking. But having done lots of land based travel in Europe and some cruising over there I would have to say if you only have a week or two to see Europe dont waste most of it on a cruise ship. There is just too much too see and do in Europe and the history is amazing. It really takes at least a few days in a city to get the flavor of it and get a feel. Plus you would miss most or all of the cities at night (barring being docked overnight which I think is rare on royal).

Now if you just want to island hop in Greece or just relax and see things from far away, or go to smaller places you would never visit otherwise then a cruise might be the ticket. But the big cities in Europe are best seen from close up and require several days to scratch the surface.

If I had three weeks I could totally see spending one of them on a cruise but if I only had two weeks I myself would not consider a cruise but instead do it all on land.

Agreed.

And most of the Europe cruise itineraries are VERY port packed. If this is Tuesday, it must be XX.

For 2 weeks in Europe, I would pick two cities, and do a week in each. And I would try to pick ones that are somewhat different. Paris (not my favorite though) and Berlin. Rome and London. etc.

And think about Eastern Europe, which is my favorite. Prague, Budapest, Warsaw/Krakow.

Agreed.

And most of the Europe cruise itineraries are VERY port packed. If this is Tuesday, it must be XX.

For 2 weeks in Europe, I would pick two cities, and do a week in each. And I would try to pick ones that are somewhat different. Paris (not my favorite though) and Berlin. Rome and London. etc.

And think about Eastern Europe, which is my favorite. Prague, Budapest, Warsaw/Krakow.

Totally agree although I might do 3 cities in two weeks and travel by train to get to the next city. Euro trains are great. Also, if healthy to me the only way to experience a city is to walk it and/or use local public transportation like the tube in London. After 4-7 days you’ll really feel like you know the city. Using private tour vans or buses is fine but you won’t get the same feel for the city that is for sure.

To me visiting a euro city for a day in a private tour car is like watching the previews to the best picture of year Oscar winner and a thinking you’ve seen the whole movie. This type of thing might be fine on an island but no way for a city like Rome, Amsterdam, Barcelona, London, Paris, etc, etc. there is too much rich culture to experience for me to ever think a cruise is they way to do it.

Rome and Barcelona are the two premier ports for embarkation in Europe followed by Venice and either one would be worth at least 3-4 days pre cruise to explore the sights and possibly a couple of nights post cruise too.

Some cruises over 7 nights start in one port and finish in another which gives you an opportunity to stay in 2 places.

Rome and Barcelona are the two premier ports for embarkation in Europe followed by Venice and either one would be worth at least 3-4 days pre cruise to explore the sights and possibly a couple of nights post cruise too.

Some cruises over 7 nights start in one port and finish in another which gives you an opportunity to stay in 2 places.

Two of our Med cruises started and ended in different ports (Barcelona and Civitaveccia and vice versa). Was great to be able to

spend time in both of those amazing cities.

Two of our Med cruises started and ended in different ports (Barcelona and Civitaveccia and vice versa). Was great to be able to

spend time in both of those amazing cities.

Yes that would be a great way to do it if cruising in Europe. But as Americans our vacation time is typically significantly less than those from Europe. So with limited time (say two weeks) I’d rather be on ground in Europe and see much more and then just cruise the Caribbean if I wanted a cruise type vacation.

Now if time was no issue I’d certainly cruise in Europe mixed with some land based travel.

Just my preference and I understand there are many ways to do it and many different opinions.