How much do you spend onboard for 5-nights?

mkkao924

This will be our first Disney cruise, and I expect the experience will be quite different than our past ones.

Usually we spend most money onboard for photography and (alcohol) drinks. We don't usually gamble, and we don't really shop onboard. I don't remember paying kids activities on RCCL either.

To give everybody some perspective, we will have 2 kids, age 7 (girl) and 2 (boy), stay in one ocean view room for 5-night Baja Mexico itinerary. Obviously we are not "big spenders", but we also want to give our kids some good memories on DCL. So we want to know what we should expect to spend onboard to prevent "sticker shock" situation.

When I read the activities, I understand most of the activities require advanced reservation. How many activities do we have to pay?

- I know there is a makeup boutique, how many kids do this? We don't want DH to feel peer pressure.

- Some Disney merchandise shopping.

- Soft drinks are free, and we don't drink much alcoholic beverage anyway.

- We typically don't dine at premium restaurant.

- We will probably do some land excursions, but I don't consider them onboard spending anyway.

- We are considering to purchase photo package (if there is one)

- We will most likely utilize some nursery services.

- Do we have to pay for character breakfast / lunch / dinner?

- Any other paid event that we should not miss?

Thanks in advance!

This is completely up to you.

Yes, there is a Bippidy Boppidy Boutique with a variety of prices and costs. On the other hand, you could save a lot of money by purchasing a "princess dress" for your daughter and taking it with you. These are very cheap after Halloween, but check the Disney Store online if you are cruising before that...or Etsy/ebay, etc. No need for peer pressure--many kids do wear princess dresses. Can you fix her hair? I once made my daughter a Cinderella dress (I am a professional level designer) and paid $13 at the Disney Store for a package that included shoes, gloves, necklace, etc. You can get a tiara at the dollar store!

Photo package--why? The Shutters photos are very expensive. The character handlers are willing to take photos of character meet and greets using your camera (so you can get photos of the whole family).

Character breakfast is free if it is available on your cruise. Most onboard activities are free. Big exception are the adult mixology classes, and of course BINGO.

Nursery $9 per hour. No fee for kid activities for ages 3-17.

Tips

"not much" alcohol can still add up fast.

Spa? Future cruise deposit? I quit using their already overpriced spa (run by Steiner as it is on most cruise lines) when there was an automatic 18% gratuity added. Now I do a spa day at my local day spa before the cruise for less than the cost of a massage on the ship. Future cruise deposit is $250 per cabin and is good for 2 years, fully refundable if you don't use it. NOTE--you must cruise within 2 years; on some other lines you must book within 2 years. For this, you get 10% off the cruise fare portion of the ticket and an onboard credit based on the length of your cruise.

Seriously, we've had cruises where we spend almost nothing beyond our tips and had a great cruise. We've had cruises where we spent a couple thousand more, and I honestly didn't feel it added much to the cruise. There are places I would not skimp (excursions in Alaska, for instance). You and your kids can have a super cruise and spend almost nothing. The choice is yours.

I know senses will be expensive I'm not going to shave for three or four days and am going to love my straight razor shave / facial. as above some extras are worth it. beyond this extravagance for me there will be vanelopees for the kids. maybe even deliver a Sunday to the dining room

we won't go to but there is the adults only dining that's extra

it's does depend on what you want to do as to how much extra you'll spend

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Forums mobile app

Since you are doing the Baja Cruise, you will be on the Wonder. There is no Venellope's sweet shop, so you don't need to worry about that. There are snacks--pop corn etc available for the theater, but you certainly don't need to buy them. We never do. You can get drinks from the beverage station anytime and snacks from various places. Room service is free, except for a very few things, although you should tip the CM a dollar or two. You really don't need to spend much on board. Your kids may want a souvenir or two from the shops though.

Our first Disney cruise was a 5 night on the Magic last year. Our girls were 4 yr and 2 yr at the time. We didn't spend much on board. We did a wine package with dinner ($150), pop corn at one show ($4?) and drinks at CC ($20). And of course tips. We did book a placeholder but I think that was charged to our credit card not our on board account.

BBB- Skipped it. We did the Frozen and Princess gatherings (free), they each brought 2 princess dresses from home and I did their hair. There were lots of little girls (and boys) all done up but I felt no pressure to pay $$$ for something that will last a couple hours.

Gift Shops- Our first cruise, we were prepared to let them each pick something but they didn't notice/ask so we skipped it. Our most recent cruise on Fantasy, they each picked a SWDAS shirt ($50)

Photos- Skipped it. We've never bothered to even look at any of the pictures from Shutters.

I personally feel most of the "extras" are parents thinking their kids NEED it but if the kids don't even know its available they won't miss it.