Cruise B905A Carribean fly/cruise questions.

A Man called Hoss

Hi everyone, have only done Southampton round trips up to now. Was fancying 35 day one next Jan on the Oriana but not happy with so many sea days each way and the 20knot wind which would spoil sunbathing.

Now looking at 14 day fly cruise, money saved would go towards a Cyprus beach holiday. Would be flying from Newcastle.

My questions are:-

Where can we find the flight depart/arrive times. (not bothered about type of aircraft...a plane is a plane).

How much luggage allowed. I take my pingu and an off white dinner jacket aswell as lots of smart casual, the wife takes a different dress for each formal night and again plenty of smart casual + lots of lotions, potions and suntan products. Will we need to compromise by taking less and wearing same things a number of times.

Can we get our dress stuff into a suitcase, have always used proper suit carriers etc.

Are any of the destinations USA controlled, IE any permits etc needed.

Will it be warm and sunny the whole time.

Thanks for any answers.

Hi everyone, have only done Southampton round trips up to now. Was fancying 35 day one next Jan on the Oriana but not happy with so many sea days each way and the 20knot wind which would spoil sunbathing.

Now looking at 14 day fly cruise, money saved would go towards a Cyprus beach holiday. Would be flying from Newcastle.

My questions are:-

Where can we find the flight depart/arrive times. (not bothered about type of aircraft...a plane is a plane).

How much luggage allowed. I take my pingu and an off white dinner jacket aswell as lots of smart casual, the wife takes a different dress for each formal night and again plenty of smart casual + lots of lotions, potions and suntan products. Will we need to compromise by taking less and wearing same things a number of times.

Can we get our dress stuff into a suitcase, have always used proper suit carriers etc.

Are any of the destinations USA controlled, IE any permits etc needed.

Will it be warm and sunny the whole time.

Thanks for any answers.

Don't know where you would find specific flight times (our TA seems to see that info during the booking process) but in our experience Caribbean flights seem to leave mid to late morning arriving in Barbados mid to late afternoon allowing for the time difference.

Luggage allowance will depend on the carrier but is typically 23Kg + 5Kg for hand luggage. We manage to pack formal clothes in our suitcases OK.

We've not needed US visas on the Caribbean itineraries we've done. I think the 35 night one you were looking at does have US ports and therefore needs an ESTA.

We've always found the Caribbean warm and sunny although there are sometimes some short lived heavy showers but you soon dry out again!

Thanks for the info, two other querys spring to mind; Would I still get past customer discount and although the price is attractive at the moment is there any scope for better prices later on.

Sorry can't really help. If it's a Peninsular Club cruise there's a 5% discount for past passengers. Otherwise promotions, obc etc can come and go and who knows whether that will represent better value later. Many say the best prices are on release of cruises but it's all supply and demand - if there are unsold cabins nearer to departure prices will fall in an attempt to fill them. But it is a fluid pricing situation and different dates/different departure airports/uptake will all affect prices.

If you're flying from a regional airport - these are often limited in number and not weekly so being fewer will be in more demand and can sell out more quickly. Seats on the plane may reduce to the point where they'll push up prices for the remaining ones. They will eventually disappear which could mean you've got more inconvenience travelling to another airport.

So, if you've seen something which suits at a price you're happy with, I think I'd be tempted to go for it.

Having done the 14 day Caribbean cruise twice a year most years experience shows that you can get a lot of clothes into one suitcase if you choose well. I managed 14 evening/smart casual and 7 day time outfits and all the usual stuff last December as an example. If you chose premium economy you will have 28kg plus 5kg allowance so 2 suitcases required plus hand luggage per person (23kg max for one suitcase) If you are not concerned with the premium benefits you can arrange to buy an additional luggage allowance by contacting the airline direct, a much cheaper option.