St. Marteen Airport Adventure SXM and Snorkel Cruise

Me and hubby are booked on a 9 Night Anthem Bermuda/Caribbean Cruise 5/17 - 5/26 and one of the stops is St. Martin.

We keep seeing vlogs about Maho beach and the amazing views of the airplanes flying above.

I'd like to see that but I don't know if I actually want to spend time on that beach because I'm sure the popularity of the planes makes the beach uber crowded.

I found this snorkel excursion where you can see the planes form this boat but we due to physical limitations, we couldn't book this until we know how people get on an off this specific boat.

Has anyone been on this excursion before? Is it hard to back into the boat from the water? Is there a ladder?

• Like 1

I have been to Maho Beach twice. It was crowded both times near the Sunset Beach Bar. Once you get away from there, it becomes less crowded. It was not crowded at all at the other end of the beach near the Driftwood Boat Bar. DO NOT set up in the middle of the beach unless you want all of your belongings to end up in the water when one of the large jets take off. That area of the beach is not crowded for a reason.

I have been to Maho Beach twice. It was crowded both times near the Sunset Beach Bar. Once you get away from there, it becomes less crowded. It was not crowded at all at the other end of the beach near the Driftwood Boat Bar. DO NOT set up in the middle of the beach unless you want all of your belongings to end up in the water when one of the large jets take off. That area of the beach is not crowded for a reason.
Thanks for the response, i imagine the view outs just as good away from the bar!

Thanks for the tip about not setting up on the middle!!

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Me and hubby are booked on a 9 Night Anthem Bermuda/Caribbean Cruise 5/17 - 5/26 and one of the stops is St. Martin.

We keep seeing vlogs about Maho beach and the amazing views of the airplanes flying above.

I'd like to see that but I don't know if I actually want to spend time on that beach because I'm sure the popularity of the planes makes the beach uber crowded.

I found this snorkel excursion where you can see the planes form this boat but we due to physical limitations, we couldn't book this until we know how people get on an off this specific boat.

Has anyone been on this excursion before? Is it hard to back into the boat from the water? Is there a ladder?

We have been on this tour. There are two ladders that I remember. One is a straight down ladder like a swimming pool. The other is more like regular steps. We did not get in the water but sat on the boat. They put a platform out to the side with table and chairs. It is a two level boat but you don’t have to go upstairs. They initially board the boat at the water taxi dock. Hope this helps.

I have teenage boys, one of whom wants to fly commercially. We have been to Sunset Bar on a previous cruise to watch the planes and the people on the beach. It was a blast! We are going to St. Maarten again this summer, and the boys have asked that we do the same thing we did last time. We're going to catch a cab from the port to Sunset Bar, sit there all day and eat and watch the planes. I asked them if they would prefer to do that excursion you mentioned, but they both agreed that they liked the bar better (it's really open with umbrellas and doesn't feel like a bar as much as a casual restaurant) - plus it will save us loads of money compared to the cost of the excursion!

We looked at a recent list of plane arrivals, and it looks like the big jets don't start landing until after 1:00 or so. We didn't look at the departure schedule for that same day, though. Take that into consideration as you're planning the excursion, since the whole point is to experience those big planes landing and taking off! Have fun!

Our family took this excursion a few years ago. Some people (myself included) chose to stay on the boat and watch the planes. There are tables & chairs outside and food & drinks available. Those who went snorkeling climbed back on board via a ramp on the back of the boat. There could very well have been a ladder available, but everyone I saw came up the ramp.

We have been on this tour. There are two ladders that I remember. One is a straight down ladder like a swimming pool. The other is more like regular steps. We did not get in the water but sat on the boat. They put a platform out to the side with table and chairs. It is a two level boat but you don’t have to go upstairs. They initially board the boat at the water taxi dock. Hope this helps.
It does help but now that i know the whole beach isn't crowded i may just skip the excursion and park myself away from the bars!

I have teenage boys, one of whom wants to fly commercially. We have been to Sunset Bar on a previous cruise to watch the planes and the people on the beach. It was a blast! We are going to St. Maarten again this summer, and the boys have asked that we do the same thing we did last time. We're going to catch a cab from the port to Sunset Bar, sit there all day and eat and watch the planes. I asked them if they would prefer to do that excursion you mentioned, but they both agreed that they liked the bar better (it's really open with umbrellas and doesn't feel like a bar as much as a casual restaurant) - plus it will save us loads of money compared to the cost of the excursion!

We looked at a recent list of plane arrivals, and it looks like the big jets don't start landing until after 1:00 or so. We didn't look at the departure schedule for that same day, though. Take that into consideration as you're planning the excursion, since the whole point is to experience those big planes landing and taking off! Have fun!

Thanks for the response! Do you remember how much the cab was to the beach?

I did this excursion last year and really enjoyed it. There is a platform that they lower that you can sit on, but it does bounce around. (at least the day I went) I only remember a ladder going into the water from the platform, but from pictures I'm now seeing it looks like the ladder is gone from the platform and there is now a ramp to go into the water at the back of the boat. People were also jumping into the water from the upper deck. It was nice floating around in the water with a noodle watching the planes. I was told the water where they anchor is 20-25 feet.

airport_adventure_sxm_banner.thumb.jpg.5a7f59ffcead4cca23dee39da9bc1dbd.jpg

1601151942_airportadventure.jpg.0becb293cc4c5f5d832d1acbc3a2c812.jpg

• Like 1

It does help but now that i know the whole beach isn't crowded i may just skip the excursion and park myself away from the bars!

We have been by car as well as the boat trip. Just remember if you go by car that it is not a very big beach. Also, traffic can be heavy so allow lots of time to get back to the port. Enjoy!

We took a taxi over to Maho beach $20 plus tip, then stayed at the Sunset bar and grill for a couple of hours. The beach can be a quite steep incline there, so it might be difficult for you if you have some mobility limitations. You can have a great time just people/plane watching .

I would not pay for an excursion, a taxi will get you there in 20-30 mins.

I think it was around $25 each way, but don't quote me! We were a family of 5 at the time, so it was very reasonable. Our driver even waited for us for hours while we were there and gave us a nice tour to and from Maho!

Thanks for the response! Do you remember how much the cab was to the beach?

We just got off the Oasis this morning & we stopped in St Maarten on Wednesday. We did the Maho Airplane Experience. It was awesome! Beach was crowded but never had a problem finding a spot to watch the planes. Sunset Bar was great to get out of the sun & get a drink. They had a live band playing. We thought about doing the snorkel boat as well but thankful we didn't since the ocean was very rough. We noticed the boat trying to get set up but due to the rough waters we saw them heading back towards the ship & if they did anchor somewhere it wasn't anywhere near the planes. Next time we go we are just going to take a cab & spend the day there.

St Martin is still really hurting since the hurricane. I was there on a Celebrity cruise [overnight] last week. There is still lots of damage. I read the Maho beach is much narrower since the hurricane. You might want to check out the Port of Call message board. I have no personal knowledge of this.

We had a ship tour booked to Orient Beach. However, it was replaced with a visit to Kim Sha beach on Simpson Bay. [We usually do not do ship tours, but they were running a sale] It was $49 pp. Considering it would have been $25 taxi each way, rental of chairs/umbrella [usually $25] and a lunch that included one drink. I had a rum punch and DH had a beer. We were glad we took the ship tour. YMMV

The beach was in good shape, we had chairs and umbrellas. There were at least 2 restaurants there. We had lunch at the Green House-- included in the tour. I could not get the wifi to work there or at another restaurant.

There is still LOTS of damage from the hurricanes. The locals are SO happy to see the tourists. I have never felt so appreciated. Prices are lower than I remember. On the water taxi to Front street they were selling $1 water and $2 beers. Many stores are still closed.

PS--They were still repairing a section concrete of the pier we were docked on. :eek:

I did this excursion last year and really enjoyed it. There is a platform that they lower that you can sit on, but it does bounce around. (at least the day I went) I only remember a ladder going into the water from the platform, but from pictures I'm now seeing it looks like the ladder is gone from the platform and there is now a ramp to go into the water at the back of the boat. People were also jumping into the water from the upper deck. It was nice floating around in the water with a noodle watching the planes. I was told the water where they anchor is 20-25 feet.

Thanks for the pictures!

St Martin is still really hurting since the hurricane. I was there on a Celebrity cruise [overnight] last week. There is still lots of damage...

There is still LOTS of damage from the hurricanes. The locals are SO happy to see the tourists. I have never felt so appreciated. Prices are lower than I remember. On the water taxi to Front street they were selling $1 water and $2 beers. Many stores are still closed.

PS--They were still repairing a section concrete of the pier we were docked on. :eek:

I've never been so even though it's under construction I'll still love it - a vacation is a vacation!

• 10 months later...
On ‎3‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 7:25 PM, gaylemh said:

airport_adventure_sxm_banner.thumb.jpg.5a7f59ffcead4cca23dee39da9bc1dbd.jpg

1601151942_airportadventure.jpg.0becb293cc4c5f5d832d1acbc3a2c812.jpg

Can anyone tell me if there are restrooms on this boat? I have searched & searched for that answer....

Can anyone who has done this excursion answer a few more questions.

How long was excursion

Where did they pick you up at?

Were you transported to an area to get the boat or did it dock close to the pier?

When it was done how did you get back to ship? The boat or a cab?

Was a lunch included, or an option to buy on board the boat?

Were you able to go on shore at Maho beach?

Thank you

Safe travels

Reposting to see if any info.

Can anyone who has done this excursion answer a few more questions.

How long was excursion

Where did they pick you up at?

Were you transported to an area to get the boat or did it dock close to the pier?

When it was done how did you get back to ship? The boat or a cab?

Was a lunch included, or an option to buy on board the boat?

Were you able to go on shore at Maho beach?

Thank you