Internet Package question

Lauura

Hi, I have a cruise booked on the Sapphire Princess this summer and I am deciding whether it’s worth getting an internet package.

Can anyone explain a little more about how the package works? As there isn’t a lot of information on the princess website.

My queries are:

- Do you have to use the minutes consecutively or can you log and off?

- Can you use the minutes from one package on more than one device?

- Does the Internet work throughout the ship or only in certain areas?

Thanks in advance!

Hi, I have a cruise booked on the Sapphire Princess this summer and I am deciding whether it’s worth getting an internet package.

Can anyone explain a little more about how the package works? As there isn’t a lot of information on the princess website.

My queries are:

Thanks in advance!

I haven't been on Sapphire Princess (or any other Princess ship) in a while, but I'm assuming things have not changed...

Yes, you don't have to use all the minutes in one session. Actually, it is important that you log off from the internet service when you are done.

As far as I know, I think the minutes can be shared by more than one device.

I don't know how good the WiFi is in Sapphire Princess. I'm assuming that it might be better than when we were onboard a few years ago. However, as you might know already, the satellite-based internet on ships have really limited speed and bandwidth, and depending on location and weather? conditions, the internet service may not be "always on."

In terms of price, I personally think it is a bit expensive, but what Princess charges is comparable to other mass-market lines. I have also cruised on luxury lines, and many of them have unlimited free internet, which is convenient since we don't have to remember to log-in/log-out every time we use the internet.

I had free internet minutes (500) on our last cruise. They have a new system and it didn't work properly. When I signed out it didn't sign out and kept eating the minutes. This was on the Grand Princess. They did refund me some of the minutes but I was afraid to use the WIFI as it was a pain to have to document any time used and then have to go to the computer center each time and argue with them.

I would not pay to use the service, just find a free internet café in port.

If you purchase an Internet Minutes Package before you cruise, you get some bonus minutes.

For example:

100 minutes + 20 bonus minutes = $86.25 which is $0.718 a minute

and the top package is

600 minutes + 80 bonus minutes = $248.75 which is $0.365 a minute

I believe the last day, there is a 15 minute package available (at a price) to passengers for checking airline reservations and connections and such.

I believe there are some places in some ports where you can purchase a beverage and then have free wifi. You could ask some of the crew where these places might be!

Yes, internet at sea is a luxury right now!

if you use your phone or your own tablet............ found it to be much smoother as you already have email etc built into these devices as you will not waste minutes signing in with your passwords and signing out again. I also have sign in and sign out on my phone and that makes it easy get on to internet and then sign out.

Yes, internet at sea is a luxury right now!

No, internet on Princess is a luxury. On a 14 night transatlantic on another line I was able to buy my daughter a package that went by mb used, not by time. For under $100, she had plenty of internet for the entire cruise on a much faster system than Princess uses. Since she was a teen, she was on line A LOT, and still had almost half the package left at the end (still a better buy than the next smaller package).

Princess internet is upgrading, one ship at a time. But on most ships it is still slow and costly.

To OP, as others have said, you can log on and off. BE SURE you log off. It is available basically all over the ship, but some locations are better than others. You can use multiple devices, one at a time. You can share with a spouse, but can't both be on at the same time on the same package.

My queries are:

Thanks in advance!

Log off after each use. If you don't you will be charged for every min. you are connected. If you have your own device make sure you understand how to log off. Visit the Internet cafe tech. for instructions.

Ship board, satellite, internet isn't like land based. You can't really walk around all day looking at your phone or tablet.