HAL secrets

Orcrone

I am new to HAL, only know what I've read here. But there are many people out there who have sailed with HAL countless times. So how about sharing little tidbits that us newbies should know.

One example would be the free popcorn available outside the theaters on some ships.

The Sky Deck, at night, is a good make-out spot, as there seldom is anyone there -- and, if there is, it's too dark to see what's going on.

At sail-away, HAL sells drinks in plastic collectibles with the company logo and their ships' names on them. Many people leave them behind. Start making the rounds just after the pax leave and before the waiters pick them up. Back home, you can fill them with sand, colored candies, etc. Or use them for drinks with your jealous neighbors.

Half Moon Cay, the most spectacular place you'll ever visit.

Bread pudding at the Lido each afternoon AND escargot in the dining room on one of the formal nights.

More passenger room on HAL ships, along with cabins being a tad bit larger than on other cruise lines.

A more traditional type of cruise line than others out there, but that's a changing, but its still good.

Those are the things that I enjoy about HAL and I am sure I have forgotten a few things here that some other posters will remember.

The Indonesian wait staff and the Filipino bar staff! All the neat little things they can make and the neat tricks and puzzles they show you. Also, they remember your name after the first introduction. The native shows they put on are also very good.

Fresh fruit in your stateroom and of course, Dutch night and the cute little hats! We have one of the ladies hat from each of our HAL cruises hand painted with our names and details of the cruise--from the staff of the Ocean Bar. :) :)

Yes, indeed ... it is so very dark up there at night that, if you're not careful, you might trip over the discarded walkers of all those older-than-average HAL cruisers making out. (I'm kidding, friends) ;)

Actually, yes ... it is THE place to go if you want to "do it" out doors. You can't see a thing ... unless the moon is full. ;) It's truly funny. Go up there, walk around, and be careful where you step if you walk back toward the Radar mast. :)

Of course ... you can do what I saw another passenger do one night; he came up wearing a pair of night-vision goggles. :) I could barely see his shape, blocking out the stars as he walked by, but when he turned his head toward me his eyes glowed. I don't know what he saw -- I had been doing some star gazing with my binoculars -- but I DO know that a couple was about 10 feet behind me, on a bench, doing SOMETHING. :)

Don't forget to try the Bread Pudding. It is in Lido every lunchtime.

Have an after dinner mint or piece of candied ginger as you exit the dining room each evening. The Yum Yum boy always has a bright smile and pleasant greeting.

You can ask up front for 2 escragos, 6 lobster tails, etc. Don't be shy about the items you love to eat so much and can't get at home. Can't decide which desert that night? order both!

The complimentary hors d'oeuvres were a nice suprise for use. My DW and I could go have a cocktail before dinner, and my 12yo DD could come along and sample the hors d'oeuvers. It gave her something to enjoy while waiting for our meal time.

Thanks everyone for some great suggestions. Keep them coming!! (No one's mentioned the Java Cafe yet).

You can ask up front for 2 escragos, 6 lobster tails, etc. Don't be shy about the items you love to eat so much and can't get at home. Can't decide which desert that night? order both!
HAL may serve you 6 lobster tails with a smile, but DW may give me an elbow to the ribs, or at least ban me from the elevators.:D

Cut flowers in the room and complementary lemonade at the pool. Steward in white gloves walking around hitting the dinner chimes. Authentic Dutch hats at the Dutch dinner night. Wood chaise lounges on the Promonade deck. All on the Veendam last November, hope they continue.

Find your way out to the bow of the ship (try the various doors leading off the lower promenade deck, at least on the Statendam-class ships, you may have to go up and down some stairs, through the backstage area and through a sea hatch with a high sill). Once there, (1) enjoy the ride out of port at night, (2) watch them docking or undocking the ship, (3) say hi to the dolphins darting back and forth across the bow while at sea, (4) look for whales, and (5) turn around and wave at the Captain up on the bridge. Also a good make-out spot when it's dark because they keep the lights out so the crew can see where they're going -- but not during the day because the camera showing the bow would put you on the TV screen in every cabin.

• Like 1

The teak wrap-around promenade deck, along with the teak chairs.

The Dutch, English, Filipino & Indonesian officers and crew!

Early embarkment (usually as early as 11:30 or so) and the ability to remain in our cabins on disembarkment day instead of having to vacate them in exchange for the public areas!

Always the feeling of returning "home" as "guests" of the ship's staff!

stillfrantic...

The Sky Deck is directly above the Crow's Nest. Go out on the Sports Deck and there are two stairs (port and starboard, left and right) that take you up there.