Right Luxury Cruise for younger couple?

sweetsurrender

Hi,

I'm looking into a luxury cruise for our honeymoon next summer (July/August 2008). We're a late twenty-something couple and we're hoping to go on a European cruise (somewhere between 7 and 18 days...). We're drawn toward the luxury lines because they seem less mass-market and we appreciate the upscale focus on good food/wine. This would be the first cruise for both of us. I anticipate that the luxury cruises draw an older crowd and we do tend to make friends of all ages, but I don't want a cruise with a too stuffy atmosphere (I want a lively nightlife and some rable-rousing!). Any suggestions on which cruise line we might be more likely to find others a little closer to our ages or that just has a reputation for being lots of lively fun? Thanks!

Liz

Hi Liz

That is a tough one. Most of the upscale lines draw an older crowd as well as the longer itineraries. Night life becomes non existent. You might want to look at Wind Star as they tend to draw a younger crowd as they are not geared for the out of shape.;) Only the Wind Surf has elevators and they do attract many honeymooners. When I was on the Wind Surf the food was not great. For great food on a cruise I would look at Crystal, Regent or Ocenia in that order. Carnival did sell Wind Star so I would watch the reviews for improvements in the food area. Another option, For the money you would spend on a Luxury cruise you could get the best suit accommodation on a Mass Market line, eat in the Specialty Restaurants, which usually have good wine lists, and have a younger crowd with better night life. If you are going to be doing a cruise in Europe it is usually port intensive, and you will be in the ports for full days. And if you are in to food and wine you might want to eat off the ship more to get the flavor of the ports you are going to. I would decide what ports you want to see and base your decision form there.

Best of luck

• 2 weeks later...

I agree - sail a mass market with specialty restaurants - and you'll have great food with the crowd type desired. Celebrity is a good one on the Millenium class ships - ( although they do have POD problems every now and then, which I'm sure you've read about)

We haven't tried Sea Dream because, to us, it seems to aim for a group that is somewhat younger than we are. However, the food, service and pampering are supposed to be among the best at sea. If you look at the web site, it certainly looks as if the company is aiming for an under 40 (O.K., they may end up with under 50) group. The dress code is "casual elegant" and there is an emphasis on water sports. They also emphasize the possibility of couples having private candlelite dinners in out of the way corners on deck. There are also luxurious Balenese sunbeds for couples set in private alcoves. For a honeymoon, it sounds ideal. In the summer, both of their ships are based in the Mediterranean.

We started saling Regent (back when it was call Radisson) Seven Seas in our mid to late 20s. Love it. Then cruise once on RCCL, can't stand it. We did one on QE2 ok with it, just because has to get on a true oceanliner. But RSSC still the best. I do not think the lux. line is stuffy at all. If you need to be around other people your age to have fun then lux. line will not be for you. But if you enjoy the finer things in life and can afford it, try the lux. line you will be hooked!;) Oh, we did port intensive cruises (like Europe & Tahiti), by the time we got back to the ship and after dinner, I was so tired my husband had to drag me to the lounge to see any shows. Have fun!

I agree. If you really want luxury, you should stick with a real luxury line. Regent is great. I have seen couples of all ages and all seem to have fun. Now with all-inclusive, the bars/lounges are even more fun in the evening, also.

We love Crystal also - definitely luxury, but a little more quiet than Regent. Silversea is also very nice and all-inclusive - you will find more Europeans than on Regent or Crystal, and the service may be a little more "distant" - but still excellent.

NJ Belle

• 2 weeks later...

I am sorry to harp on my original suggestion, but I really think that Sea Dream might be the best choice for you. We love Regent -- it is our favorite line -- but we are older and less active than you. Sea Dream seems to have a real emphasis on water sports and romance as well as pampering, luxury, great food and service. Go to the Sea Dream boards and see the comments of Sea Dream loyalists. It really seems to be tailor made for a young couple's honeymoon!

My other suggestion would be Regent's Paul Gaughin -- but she sails only in Franch Polynesia and not in the Mediterranean.

Whatever you choose, have a wonderful trip!

I would recomend Oceania. I think it is of both worlds. A bit of upscale luxury without the much older "ambiance" of the other upscale like Regent etc.

My hubby and I are young 40 yr old w/out kids and we like Oceania... My 2 cents.

Look on line at their website and see if it appeals to you and look at the itineraries....

Curious Cat

• 2 weeks later...

Oceania really isn't yet in the luxury category. For a younger couple I would recommend Sea Dream. They tend to attract a younger demographic. BUT, you will not find "rabble rousing" or a lively night life on any luxury line. Plus in the Med, those tend to be quite port intensive cruises and long days touring and lively night life don't go hand in hand. I've been on all the luxury lines, and you will have to look hard and long to find much in the way of lively goings-on. Lines like Seabourn, Silversea, Crystal and Regent have low key entertainment and not much in the way of "clubbing" choices.

• 2 weeks later...

Get a royal suite on m class celebrity and go to specialty restaurant for foodie hit or order room service....and you will have world class shows!...see pics >>

http://travel.webshots.com/album/546717233qUnUyn

Hi,

I'm looking into a luxury cruise for our honeymoon next summer (July/August 2008). We're a late twenty-something couple and we're hoping to go on a European cruise (somewhere between 7 and 18 days...). We're drawn toward the luxury lines because they seem less mass-market and we appreciate the upscale focus on good food/wine. This would be the first cruise for both of us. I anticipate that the luxury cruises draw an older crowd and we do tend to make friends of all ages, but I don't want a cruise with a too stuffy atmosphere (I want a lively nightlife and some rable-rousing!). Any suggestions on which cruise line we might be more likely to find others a little closer to our ages or that just has a reputation for being lots of lively fun? Thanks!

Liz

We have been sailing both Seadream and Seabourn several times (in addition to Silversea, Celebrity, RCCL, NCL), and Seadream is really our favourite. Even though Seabourn offers same level of service, food etc, the Seadream ambiance is so much more relaxed, with no formal evenings. Everyone working on board do their very best to make you feel at home. As for age groups, both offer a wide range, but after some days you don't really think of the other guests' age at all. All are well experienced, educated people who love the talk to other people.

Go for it, you will never regret! :)

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this question, but will give it a try. We've sailed Crystal and will be sailing Regent for New Year's 2007. We were looking for something in August in the Caribbean to the smaller islands that the larger cruise ships can't get into (i.e. Yost Van Dyke and the like). We've been researching doing a sail boat with a 2 person crew. This looks like a totally different experience, very laid back yet some are very luxurious. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience's to share? Thanks.

We haven't tried Sea Dream because, to us, it seems to aim for a group that is somewhat younger than we are. However, the food, service and pampering are supposed to be among the best at sea. If you look at the web site, it certainly looks as if the company is aiming for an under 40 (O.K., they may end up with under 50) group. The dress code is "casual elegant" and there is an emphasis on water sports. They also emphasize the possibility of couples having private candlelite dinners in out of the way corners on deck. There are also luxurious Balenese sunbeds for couples set in private alcoves. For a honeymoon, it sounds ideal. In the summer, both of their ships are based in the Mediterranean.

I do hope you are incorrect about Sea Dream ages. My husband and I are in our very early 60's and are booked on SD Istanbul to Rome in Sept. When I look at some of the web cams about SD, I see mostly middle aged passengers. Go to the SD message board and check it out.

Mary Lou

Have you thought about the Queen Mary 2, she attracts a really good mix of ages and there is plenty of evening entertainment and a very late night nightclub. We love sailing her and we are both in our late 20's. If you take a grill suite you will get the best of all worlds, although that being said, visually the Britannia is better.

I have been on SeaDream a number of times - and from what you are describing - it is perfect for you. It is romantic, a bit younger than other lines, definitely luxury - but in a casual atmosphere. Go for it - you won't regret it I promise!

• 4 weeks later...

Many honeymooners have raved about the Paul Gauguin, Regent's smaller ship in French Polynesia, based out of Tahiti. I've seen this rated as one of if not THE greatest honeymoon experences in the world. It's not the Mediterranean, but seeing as you are from the left coast already, it isn’t even that far. This would definitely involve a younger crowd, in an exceptionally highly rated ship. Think about it.

I do hope you are incorrect about Sea Dream ages. My husband and I are in our very early 60's and are booked on SD Istanbul to Rome in Sept. When I look at some of the web cams about SD, I see mostly middle aged passengers. Go to the SD message board and check it out.

Mary Lou

At early 60s you are going to fit right in on SeaDream. You will find some 40 year olds, some 50s but my guess (after 6 cruises with them) is that most are right at your age group.

Hi. I'm going to throw in my two cents -- we're ramping up our coverage of luxury just for folks like Liz. I've tried 'em all.

I'd definitely go for luxury -- it's a special occasion and frankly I think quality levels are lower on bigger ships and definitely not as personal. I've probably cruised more than 100 times (have lost track now, have been covering the industry for a long time :) ). Our cruise on SeaDream was our favorite, ever. It just fit...relaxed, casual but upscale, fantastic food and service. No balconies but it didn't even matter.

I'd also consider Regent Seven Seas, again because it skews to a younger vibe....

Happy to answer any specifics you may have; feel free to drop me a note at editor@cruisecritic.com.

Best,

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Editor

Cruise Critic

I, personally would stay away from Carnival, and probably pick Holland America, Celebrity, or Princess

None of those qualify, since the OP specifically stated no interest in "mass market" lines. We found the age range on Regent to be pretty wide, from 30s to 70s, and there was definitely nightlife (most of which we voluntarily missed!)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, it's one of my favorite islands in the Caribbean. If you want to charter a sail boat -- which isn't what we really cover but I know from living down there for a spell -- go to www.moorings.com -- they offer bareback and staffed sailboats.

If you want to cruise there...go for a smaller ship, like one of the smaller Windstar twins (Wind Spirit, Wind Star) or Sea Dream....

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Editor

Cruise Critic

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this question, but will give it a try. We've sailed Crystal and will be sailing Regent for New Year's 2007. We were looking for something in August in the Caribbean to the smaller islands that the larger cruise ships can't get into (i.e. Yost Van Dyke and the like). We've been researching doing a sail boat with a 2 person crew. This looks like a totally different experience, very laid back yet some are very luxurious. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience's to share? Thanks.

My husband and I , both 40-somethings and both experienced cruisers, loved SeaDream probably more than any other cruise we've taken together...but we were still on the younger side of the age spectrum. The thing about that ship was that it drew people of all ages; the main thing we seemed to have in common was a yen to relax, a taste for good wine and food, and a serious appreciation for fine service and ambience.

Age was absolutely irrelevent.

Don't worry for a minute.....

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Editor

Cruise Critic

(and both of

Mary Lou

• 3 weeks later...

If "age" is important to you, I'd go for SeaDream Yacht Club, hands down. Very active, younger, affluent passengers, that enjoy the watersports marina and the casual experience of being on your own private "yacht"!

Host Dan

• 1 month later...

Archived