What do I do with a butler?

colleenmf

I just had a great opportunity to upgrade to a butler suite on a Regent cruise. Now what do I do with him (or her) that is different from any other staff on the ship?

I already made my specialty restaurant reservations. what else can he (or she) do for me?

They will bring you room service, unpack your bags, take your laundry/dry cleaning, bring the daily canapes to your cabin, assist with shore excursion reservations, book spa appointments and pack your bags before you leave. I've never asked a butler to unpack or pack as I don't want a stranger handling my personal items, but I have used the butler for all those other things.

Unpack and pack? Now that would be handy. I'm sure I don't own anything he hasn't seen before.

My one and only shore excursion is booked and I don't use the spas but maybe he can keep beer and white wine in the fridge.

I have found that the experienced butlers who have cruised for a long time have lots of great knowledge. So, in addition to the duties that they perform, sometimes I'll ask them questions ranging from certain recommendation in ports to a recommendation on a wine or some other item.

On top of this over the years we'll enjoy a meal set up by the butler in the room and the little things they do to make the cruise pleasant.

We have not utilized the bulter to unpack or pack as we would prefer to do this ourselves but some passengers on our cruise ships have.

If you need help changing a shore excurison or needing another reservation they are a big help.

And, from time to time we have had other passengers over for a snack before we went to dinner with them which the butler set up for us.

And finally, we have enjoyed a nice dinner in the room (maybe one per cruise) and the butller has served the meals flawlessly for us.

Usually be the end of the cruise, if you have a good bulter, you wish you could take them home with you.

Keith

What rooms would get a butler?

Typically, those cruise lines who utilize butlers assign them to penthouse categories. Some assign them to all penthouse categories while others assign them to a subset (the larger ones) of the penthouse categories.

Keith

Will the butler procure items for you? For instance, I'm a writer and still use pen and paper for much of my early drafts. Is it possible to send this person for more supplies? Are they "on-call" should I have a hankering for yet more ice-cold Coca-Cola late in the evening? Seriously. Are there hours of availability?

Thanks for the help/answers.

Will the butler procure items for you? For instance, I'm a writer and still use pen and paper for much of my early drafts. Is it possible to send this person for more supplies? Are they "on-call" should I have a hankering for yet more ice-cold Coca-Cola late in the evening? Seriously. Are there hours of availability?

Thanks for the help/answers.

If it's paper and pen that is available complimentary on the ship you could ask him or your stewardess for that. If it's something special I think I would get that myself.

The hours of the butler vary. Normally they will provide sufficient sodas so that should not be a problem. On our last few cruises with a butler they were on call from say around 6:00 AM to around 9:00 PM. If they were off duty during those hours we would get their back up butler. And, during the off hours there would be regular room service if we needed something such as a beverage/food.

Keith

What rooms would get a butler?

On the RSSC Voyager Penthouse B and above get butlers. We got a terrific opportunity to upgrade from an H GTY (I jokingly call it steerage as it is the lowest category on the ship) to Penthouse B for about 10 % of the regular cost to upgrade.

I'm really not that concerned with the butler. The cabin is configured parallel to the side of the ship instead of perpendicular so you can reach the sitting area without going thru the sleeping area. Great when I want early morning tea and DH is still sleeping. Whoever brings the tea doesn't have to disturb my sleeping husband.

• 3 weeks later...

We have stayed in Royal Suites on Celebrity, and I must say that we have learned to utilize a butler very well. Normally he comes on at 6 AM and then off at 10:30 or 11 AM.........and back at 3 PM. He has brought us breakfast, lunch and dinner. He will set up our dining table for 4 if we have guests.........and will serve us. When we have company for a cocktail...........he will make sure that we have extra appetizers.

When my wife bought a new outfit at one of the ports that we visited, our butler had the tailor come up, measure and took the outfit from us. He was back in a couple of hours with everything properly hemmed.

When we need more liquor or special wine, he brings it.

I'm sure that I have forgotten a few items..........but I will say that we enjoy having a butler serve us.

Rick

Just out of curiosity.....did you get the opportunity to upgrade because they contacted you or did you contact Regent? I am sailing this line for the first time in January so am not sure how they do things. Thanks! Linda

Back from my trip and butler was a nice guy who brought food and drink.

We got an offer from our TA about 3 weeks before our cruise. I had about a day to decide whether to accept it or not. There was a small cost associated with the upgrade. My TA said that she doesn't get those offers very often but the Voyager holds 700 and only had 555 on our trip.

For the price we paid, I'd do it again in a minute. For the suite configuration, not necessarily the butler.

• 2 weeks later...

We have a Penthouse B booked on Voyager next year, and it will be our first butled experience. But I can't imagine having them unpack my underwear! And jewellery, and, and... oh well, we'll find other things for them to do.

Hopefully the butler suites include daily canapes??

Archived