ResedenSea The World

stompy

We normally cruise Royal Caribbean and saw a show this weekend on "The World"

They normally sell their apartments but you can rent them for $2500/day

YIKES

They were beautiful but they said you need a net worth of $5M to own one... I'm just $4,999,998.50 short...

It would be great to live at sea on a cruise ship.

In addition to the cost of the condos, there's the huge association fees, that start at $62,000 a year. I have a friend who cruised on the World and said it was not a fun cruise. He felt it was a real class system with the residents refusing to mingle with the lowly passengers. He also said that no one shows up for the entertainment at night---he and another couple were the only ones in the lounge every night.

• 1 month later...
Even reading about this line made me feel a chill. I really got the picture and it wasn't a friendly one! Thanks for the tip!

Jane

I agree. I wouldn't be caught dead on the World of Residensea!

Host Dan

From our top floor condo here at Port Canaveral, The World is docked but a few hundred yards away, awaiting the launch tonight of Space Shuttle Endeavor ... in the three days it has been docked here in Florida I have observed exactly three passengers, including two ladies who were walking laps this morning on the upper deck; guess you could say they were actually 'walking around The World'? :D Must be nice...

My wife and I were invited on The World for the day on thursday the 13th of Nov while in the Space Coast area.

It was a very pleasant experience and the owners were very nice to us.

It is a beautiful stately ship and the lunch in one of the dining rooms was excellent. I had steak and grilled onions with the salad bar and my wife had salmon.

We looked at some of the resale units available and they were to die for. The big problem is the annual fees, $167 per square foot plus $34,000 a year minimum for food and beverages (like a country club), use it or lose it.

Imagine how much some owners must pay annually with 4 or 5 units that are 2,000 to 3,400 sq ft.

If you have to ask I guess you cant afford it.

I had to ASK!!!

Not for me but very elegant.

Spencer

• 1 month later...

I look at this ship as more of a floating condo unit as opposed to a cruise ship. If you watch some of the documentaries on it, it is specifically stated to not be the same as a cruise ship experience. It is a lifestyle. The entertainment is for the people who LIVE there, not passengers who are used to the cruise ship environment.

I am hoping to purchase an apartment on board for my retirement years... Good thing I have 40+ years before that happens! I have to save my pennies for that $5 million net worth thing!

Archived