Sundream & Sunbird.

Does anyone know what ever happened to these two ships? Our very first cruise was on the Sundream and we laugh now cause we thought that ship was huge. LOL We had a great time on both of them, but then they seemed to really go downhill and then disappeared off the radar.

• 7 months later...
Does anyone know what ever happened to these two ships? Our very first cruise was on the Sundream and we laugh now cause we thought that ship was huge. LOL We had a great time on both of them, but then they seemed to really go downhill and then disappeared off the radar.

I was actually the singer on the Sundream for about a year back in 2002. I have to say it's funny thinking back. The ship was really in quite bad condition and tiny compared to the modern ships. I actually had some amazing times on the ship and the majority of passengers enjoyed it but if you gave me the choice of going on now I would say not in a million years!

I can't believe that Sunbird is still running with Thomson. It must be is quite a bad state by now.

• 6 months later...

Hi,

I just put in a search for Sunbird not expecting to find anything...

We had our first ever cruise on the Sunbird and we still remember it quite fondly.

The dance floor in the ____ lounge was a wood inlaid Mariner's compass, just gorgeous. We danced the night away for 7 nights straight. We haven't had such good dancing music on a cruise since (well except on our last cruise 2012 NCL Gem).

We were such novices on that cruise - we didn't know we could ask the room steward to push the beds together - we slept apart the whole time, well not quite but there wasn't much room on those cots! Everbody else seemed to be on their 12th or 20th cruise! We kept saying next time we'll be old hands at this cruising business and then we coould lie and say it was our ...8th cruise!

There were a lot of British travellers on that cruise. We were always going up or down the stairs on the wrong side (well, according to them anyway), they would laugh and say 'Canadians hey'.

We thought the ship was so big! It was a good initiation to cruising.

I found this YouTube video about the hx of the Sunbird

Thanks for the memories

• 4 weeks later...

We cruised on the Sundream roundrip from Montego Bay in October 2001. It was our second cruise and we were thrilled to be able to take a 2 week cruise with air included for about $1800 for the 2 of us. We met some really great people on that cruise and had such a good time. There was an elderly couple from Britian that we were so impressed with as they were on their 35th cruise and had a blast. They also told us that they used their "caravan" all summer when they weren't cruising. Yhey seemed much younger than many of the other cruisers who spent lots of time complaining about everything. I read somewhere last summer that the Captain on that trip ( John Brocklehurst) is captain of a ship on Voyages of Discovery and it appears that the ship is the Dream. Such great memories.

• 5 years later...

I’ve just found this thread and reading all the comments has brought back some brilliant memories... I worked for Airtours customer service and dealt specifically with the 4 Cruise ships from 2000 to 2002. I remember dealing with complaints about the plumbing issues onboard the Sundream whilst it was sailing around the Caribbean, thankfully there weren’t any problems when I had my educational week onboard the ship... I was lucky enough to be able to experience a week onboard the Sundream in February 2001, but being a young woman on my own I did get tongues wagging as to what I was doing there on my own ! I tried to keep my position with the company a secret though so I kept a low profile and spent my spare time with the crew... I absolutely loved the itinerary, Jamaica, Cozumel, Havana, Grand Cayman, Santiago de Cuba and back to Jamaica. There was a fantastic atmosphere onboard and the dining experience every evening on the Hotel Directors table was an absolute blast, our table was definitely the one to be on ! I’ve got some fab photos of the week onboard and some even better memories. I know it was in need of a refurb but the atmosphere couldn’t be beaten.

• 3 years later...
On 2/17/2018 at 6:08 PM, Lady loves to travel said:

I’ve just found this thread and reading all the comments has brought back some brilliant memories... I worked for Airtours customer service and dealt specifically with the 4 Cruise ships from 2000 to 2002. I remember dealing with complaints about the plumbing issues onboard the Sundream whilst it was sailing around the Caribbean, thankfully there weren’t any problems when I had my educational week onboard the ship... I was lucky enough to be able to experience a week onboard the Sundream in February 2001, but being a young woman on my own I did get tongues wagging as to what I was doing there on my own ! I tried to keep my position with the company a secret though so I kept a low profile and spent my spare time with the crew... I absolutely loved the itinerary, Jamaica, Cozumel, Havana, Grand Cayman, Santiago de Cuba and back to Jamaica. There was a fantastic atmosphere onboard and the dining experience every evening on the Hotel Directors table was an absolute blast, our table was definitely the one to be on ! I’ve got some fab photos of the week onboard and some even better memories. I know it was in need of a refurb but the atmosphere couldn’t be beaten.

This was a great help for me as I am putting together a photo scrapbook of our cruises and we were on the Sundream in Jan 2001. We were also on the Sunbird in 2002 and I am trying to find the itinerary for that cruise. Anyone have any information? It included Aruba, St Lucia and Curaco as best I can tell from my photos. Any assistance would be appreciated. 

On 4/22/2012 at 9:32 PM, gubby said:

We cruised on the Sundream roundrip from Montego Bay in October 2001. It was our second cruise and we were thrilled to be able to take a 2 week cruise with air included for about $1800 for the 2 of us. We met some really great people on that cruise and had such a good time. There was an elderly couple from Britian that we were so impressed with as they were on their 35th cruise and had a blast. They also told us that they used their "caravan" all summer when they weren't cruising. Yhey seemed much younger than many of the other cruisers who spent lots of time complaining about everything. I read somewhere last summer that the Captain on that trip ( John Brocklehurst) is captain of a ship on Voyages of Discovery and it appears that the ship is the Dream. Such great memories.

Hi - I found your comments while researching the Sundream for a photo scrapbook I am putting together of all our cruises. We were on this itinerary in Jan 2001 but we were also on the 
Sunbird in 2002. Did you take a cruise on this ship as well? I am trying to put together the Itinerary based on my photos but no luck so far. I hope you might be able to help me. Looks like you have a lot more cruises booked. We had just completed a 19 day Hong Kong to Sydney on Princess and a 7 day Caribbean on Norwegian before the world stopped and had nothing else booked. Looks like we will be dry docked for awhile