Nikon d3400 need lens for Alaska

Hi there,

I currently have 2 lenses, 18-55 and 55-200mm

I dont really like the look the 55-200 gives me when I zoom in because it cuts off the sides of my picture.

i was initially going to get a 70-300mm but not sure if thats what I want considering I dont like the 55-200mm.

Was going to buy the Sigma 15-30mm 3.5-4.5 as my google research said this was a good zoom wide angle. Unfortunately apparently the 3400 camera doesnt have an internal auto focus and the auto focus with this lens wont work.

So would it work ok with manual focus?

Failing that is there any other suggestions that I could zoom into wildlife and scenery on my Alaska cruise, not losing the edges?

Thanks

By losing the edges do you mean blurring of the background surrounding the object upon which you are focussing or do you mean that the field of view has be3n reduced?

I mean the field of view has been reduced too much.

Been researching wide angle lenses but I am getting a bit confused now! In my research it seems the combo i have is adequate and I love the 18-55, but I find the 55-200 is very lack-lustre and was wondering if I should purchase the 70-300 that was suggested, perhaps it gives a better composition? (for shooting distant whales and scenery from the big boat)

I have been trolling these forums for suggestions....taken "on board" pardon the pun, the advice that on a small tour boat a 70- 300mm will be subject to too much motion and blurry pictures, in which case I would pack my 18-55 for those occassions.

What do you think, is that a good plan?

Got you now...it was my mistake. I use exactly the same combo of lenses with my Nikon...albeit an earlier model. I don’t find the size of the two lenses too much of a problem & I don’t find I need to change lenses too often.

Failing that is there any other suggestions that I could zoom into wildlife and scenery on my Alaska cruise, not losing the edges?

Thanks

NO. that is what happens when you zoom in, your FOV is narrowed.

Also, not sure why you are wanting a wide angle lens if you want to get closer to wildlife. wildlife with a wide angle will be tiny. A wide angle and zoom are for two different purposes.

I can’t understand what you’re talking about. As you zoom in, your field of view is reduced. Of course you lose the edges — how would you zoom in closely on wildlife and keep the wide frame at the same time?

It’s like saying you want a hot cup of coffee... but you’re complaining that when you heat it up, it’s not cold anymore.

As to blurred images from motion — that has nothing to do with choice of lens. That’s about setting adequate shutter speed. The lens is irrelevant.

Do you post process in something like Lightroom? I use the Tamron 18-400 as my travel lens, very versatile, but there is definitely some chromatic aberattion at higher zooms, the LR camera settings handle it fine though. It's not quite as sharp as the Nikon version, but at around 1/3 to 1/4 the price I would not expect it. The depth of field is just OK too, but for a price/feature/weight ratio I haven't been able to beat it so far.

This was shot with the 18-400 at around 300mm, you can see a tiny bit of softness at the very edges, I could have cropped them out...

Germany%20ABD%202017-363-X3.jpg

Same lens - about 50mm:

Germany%20ABD%202017-152-X2.jpg

No editing on those other than LR lens adjust and auto-tone.

I can’t understand what you’re talking about. As you zoom in, your field of view is reduced. Of course you lose the edges — how would you zoom in closely on wildlife and keep the wide frame at the same time?

It’s like saying you want a hot cup of coffee... but you’re complaining that when you heat it up, it’s not cold anymore.

As to blurred images from motion — that has nothing to do with choice of lens. That’s about setting adequate shutter speed. The lens is irrelevant.

Sorry I guess I wasnt being very clear, I am wanting to get a nicer shot of landscapes and perhaps if lucky enough to get a whale in as well with a nicer lens than I have.

Thinking there was one that exists to zoom in , bringing the scene closer a bit but also then not narrowing the field of view at the horizontal plane too much.

I thought a wide angle might acheive this , or a lens configuration that is better than my kit 18-55mm.

Ps I wasnt complaining just asking some advice, and the comment about the shutter speed, yes I understand shutter speed but some people on this forum have said for the purposes of small boat whale watching it is impossible to hold the camera still on the moving boat, nothing to do with shutter speed so leave long zoom for pictures on wildlife from the big boat.

Hence after doing research I am asking for lens suggestions that might zoom in a bit with a wider vuew but give some dramatic images than my current lens.

Maybe I ask too much, sorry for my ignorance

Edited by Sallyandtex

Do you post process in something like Lightroom? I use the Tamron 18-400 as my travel lens, very versatile, but there is definitely some chromatic aberattion at higher zooms, the LR camera settings handle it fine though. It's not quite as sharp as the Nikon version, but at around 1/3 to 1/4 the price I would not expect it. The depth of field is just OK too, but for a price/feature/weight ratio I haven't been able to beat it so far.

This was shot with the 18-400 at around 300mm, you can see a tiny bit of softness at the very edges, I could have cropped them out...

Germany%20ABD%202017-363-X3.jpg

Same lens - about 50mm:

Germany%20ABD%202017-152-X2.jpg

No editing on those other than LR lens adjust and auto-tone.

Very nice!

Thank you so much, that is exactly the advice I am looking for, your castle shot is what I am talking about.

Post processsing must be the way to go and your lens suggestion thankyou very much.

Sorry I guess I wasnt being very clear, I am wanting to get a nicer shot of landscapes and perhaps if lucky enough to get a whale in as well with a nicer lens than I have.

Thinking there was one that exists to zoom in , bringing the scene closer a bit but also then not narrowing the field of view at the horizontal plane too much.

I thought a wide angle might acheive this , or a lens configuration that is better than my kit 18-55mm.

Ps I wasnt complaining just asking some advice, and the comment about the shutter speed, yes I understand shutter speed but some people on this forum have said for the purposes of small boat whale watching it is impossible to hold the camera still on the moving boat, nothing to do with shutter speed so leave long zoom for pictures on wildlife from the big boat.

Hence after doing research I am asking for lens suggestions that might zoom in a bit with a wider vuew but give some dramatic images than my current lens.

Maybe I ask too much, sorry for my ignorance

No matter how rocky a boat might be, you just need a fast enough shutter speed. Set at 1/2000, and no amount of rocking will shake the image.

Still don’t understand what you mean about the lens. Are you saying you want a superzoom, like 18-400, which can shoot wide angles and telephoto?

No lens can do both at the same time. They make superzooms like the 18-400 which can do both, but typically pretty poorly compared to more limited zoom range lenses. Still, sounds like that’s what you’re looking for? A lens that does both (but not at the same time?

No matter how rocky a boat might be, you just need a fast enough shutter speed. Set at 1/2000, and no amount of rocking will shake the image.

Still don’t understand what you mean about the lens. Are you saying you want a superzoom, like 18-400, which can shoot wide angles and telephoto?

No lens can do both at the same time. They make superzooms like the 18-400 which can do both, but typically pretty poorly compared to more limited zoom range lenses. Still, sounds like that’s what you’re looking for? A lens that does both (but not at the same time?

Yes probably, but now considering more post processing, something that compliments the 18-55 better than the 55-200 which I find the images seem drab but I cant put my finger on what I am doing wrong.

I really like the 18-55 for everyday excursions , just wanting something for special shots /scenery and love the look of the wide angle landscapes I have seen. I can appreciate now that those impressive landscapes have not been taken zoomed in.

Thanks for your help.

Then something like the 18-400 will work for you, as long as you have the understanding you are trading flexibility for a little bit of image quality (which is fine for travel photos, etc, I am not sure I would use it on a professional shoot but to capture 'where I was' to tell travel stories - I'm thrilled with it.)

For vacation this year I am taking the 18-400, 18-105 art (for lower light shots), and a nifty fifty for shooting around the ship late at night because its a 1.4). I'll also carry my sony a6000 with an 18-55 kit lens as a pocket camera.

Yes probably, but now considering more post processing, something that compliments the 18-55 better than the 55-200 which I find the images seem drab but I cant put my finger on what I am doing wrong.

I really like the 18-55 for everyday excursions , just wanting something for special shots /scenery and love the look of the wide angle landscapes I have seen. I can appreciate now that those impressive landscapes have not been taken zoomed in.

Thanks for your help.

Over the years, a lot of lens-related questions have come across this forum. I wrote an article that is sort of a primer on lenses for those wanting to expand their camera's capability by adding a lens or two.

I wrote it as much as possible in layman's terms and recently updated it to reflect changes in lens technology in the last few years. Consider it a beginner's guide for lens shopping. :)

Adding Lenses:

http://www.pptphoto.com/articles/addinglenses_frame.html

Dave

This is a good illustration of the differences in focal length, from Nikon USA, in case there is any confusion

red-barn-sequence.jpg

You might want to post a sample of your "drab" images from the 55-200. It's hard to say whether another lens will give you what you want, without understanding how your current lens is coming up short.

IMHO:

Nikon does a really nice 10-20 DX wide angle that works really for landscapes and fun shots. AF-P DX NIKKOR 10-20mm f/4.5-5.6G VR you should get it for under $270 with shipping on Ebay

For a zoom lens I would go with the AF-P DX NIKKOR 70-300mm f/4.5-6.3G ED VR. The extra 100mm helps when you cant get close - $170 max on Ebay. VR means no tripod if the light is good.

Sell the kit 50-200 kit lens on Ebay

That 18-55 VR you have is a great everyday lens. Keep that.

a 35 mm fixed lens AF-S DX NIKKOR 35mm f/1.8G for $150 on ebay is a great everyday lens and its fast at f1.8. So interior ship shots without a flash should not be a problem

Thankyou Shawn very helpful!

Will look on ebay,, i was a bit nervous buying from there but will take a look.

no problem.

Couple of tips

Ebay...go to Nikon's site and check out reconditioned lenses...see what they charge...if the deal looks too good on ebay, it is. Dont bid more than you want to pay. make sure its a US seller. Read a few descriptions... make sure you get the lense bag, hood, uv filter, caps (front and back ) as part of the deal.

Amazon has fair pricing, not as good as ebay, but prime delivery is fast and less risk. Same for Nikon on the reconditioned lenses.

If you want a really great lens for a special occasion, you can rent them. Plenty of places rent them, do a google search and decide on a good vendor. better than buying a lense that you wont use too much everyday.

the wide angle lens: you can get some really funky shots...get up really close..like 8 inches away close. look at the outside edges of the shot as we tend to focus on the middle too much, otherwise its great for getting big shots of wide landscapes.

the 35 MM is going to be your best buddy, do it all lens. but if you want close, an you cant physically get close, that 70-300 zoom rocks.

Adorama and B+H have good used products as well if you want to go that route...

I have become a huge fan of lens renting too for special occasions.

no problem.

Couple of tips

Ebay...go to Nikon's site and check out reconditioned lenses...see what they charge...if the deal looks too good on ebay, it is. Dont bid more than you want to pay. make sure its a US seller. Read a few descriptions... make sure you get the lense bag, hood, uv filter, caps (front and back ) as part of the deal.

Amazon has fair pricing, not as good as ebay, but prime delivery is fast and less risk. Same for Nikon on the reconditioned lenses.

If you want a really great lens for a special occasion, you can rent them. Plenty of places rent them, do a google search and decide on a good vendor. better than buying a lense that you wont use too much everyday.

the wide angle lens: you can get some really funky shots...get up really close..like 8 inches away close. look at the outside edges of the shot as we tend to focus on the middle too much, otherwise its great for getting big shots of wide landscapes.

the 35 MM is going to be your best buddy, do it all lens. but if you want close, an you cant physically get close, that 70-300 zoom rocks.