Backup on-board

rowrow

Are the 'Internet Cafe' computers usable for backing up camera cards via a USB card reader to a portable hard drive? At a cost I assume, as part of an internet plan?.

Not carting along a laptop this trip so looking at other options. I realize there are other backup methods but have never thought about the on-board computers.

Are the 'Internet Cafe' computers usable for backing up camera cards via a USB card reader to a portable hard drive? At a cost I assume, as part of an internet plan?.

Not carting along a laptop this trip so looking at other options. I realize there are other backup methods but have never thought about the on-board computers.

I have never seen an onboard computer with access to USB ports. They have a legitimate concern over viral infections and restrict the use of USB.

Dave

One simple option to consider is simply bring multiple SD cards - then flip the 'write disable' switch on the side of the 'exposed' sd cards when you take it out of the camera.

Except that isn't a backup. It's merely an effort to prevent data loss on your primary media. It's not a _bad_ thing to do, just by no means a backup. Plus, if you're a believer in buying the fastest memory cards available (if it's somehow not a benefit today, it will be a benefit tomorrow), I can't afford to buy enough cards to make it through an Alaska cruise, nor do I want to.

Full disclosure: I'm a freak about my backups. That said, my images are stored to two drives nightly with data verification, and a third by the time we're back from breakfast, with one of those three drives always in our cabin safe. Those drives go home in three different places (carry-on, suitcase, locked Pelican case).

Thanks for those comments. Was just considering options.

I invested in one of those WD Passport Pro Wireless thingies but it's been the most frustrating piece of kit I ever purchased. The first was DOA. The new one seems to be backing up OK from the SD cards but I'm still not 100% confident with it and time is running out.

I will take as well 1 portable hard drive and back up on route at Hotel or wherever. And I have an Android tablet I can use when I learn the best way to do so. Anyone tried this method ? ......https://petapixel.com/2013/03/26/how-to-back-up-your-pictures-using-an-android-tablet-and-external-hard-drives/

Thanks for those comments. Was just considering options.

I invested in one of those WD Passport Pro Wireless thingies but it's been the most frustrating piece of kit I ever purchased. The first was DOA. The new one seems to be backing up OK from the SD cards but I'm still not 100% confident with it and time is running out.

I will take as well 1 portable hard drive and back up on route at Hotel or wherever. And I have an Android tablet I can use when I learn the best way to do so. Anyone tried this method ? ......https://petapixel.com/2013/03/26/how-to-back-up-your-pictures-using-an-android-tablet-and-external-hard-drives/

I use a late model Amazon Fire tablet with a 128GB micro SD card in the in the expansion slot. I have an SD card reader with a USB on the go cable that I use to transfer files directly from the card to to the SD Storage on the tablet. It's actually quite fast.

Dave

Yes, maybe. It will probably depend on the ship, the time of day, the phase of the moon, and the workload of the tech. On Celebrity, I forget which ship, I did this exact thing. “Hey Joe, can I plug my SD card reader and portable HD into one of these iMacs so that I can do a backup?” “Sure, no problem.” The issue of having an internet package was irrelevant, the process required no wi-fi... The Internet cafes are also used for free and revenue-generating classes, so choose a slack time to improve your chance of cooperation.

Stan

I usually use my wifes neat little laptop but I prepared an alternative for the times when this was not possible due to restrictions on laptops in carry on bags. I use a Samsung A3 smartphone, its an excellent small cheaper phone, great phone and great GPS, not such great camera but then I use a camera for photos. I use an OTG USB adapter with a USB card reader to copy the days photos to the phone. I can then copy the photos from the phone to a USB toughdrive. The phone is able to take micro sd expansion memory so can store an awful lot of photos in a small space. I prefer my wifes laptop when possible but the phone although a bit more tedious works just as well, as would I imagine any smartphone or tablet.

Thank you all for the ideas. I have previously carted "my wife's neat little laptop" and portable hard drive but it's not so little now with each replacement/upgrade.

I will take my WD Passport wireless pro unit which I'm not 100% confident with yet.

As well I've obtained some larger microsd cards for the Samsung S2 tab which I can backup to with the OTG and usb card reader.

re JBare, do you use a Y cable to connect the phone to the drive so the drive gets some power through the phone? I'm more confident backing up to a hard drive than those pesky little micro sd's.

re JBare, do you use a Y cable to connect the phone to the drive so the drive gets some power through the phone? I'm more confident backing up to a hard drive than those pesky little micro sd's.

No, I just use the OTG cable, mine is an Anker one. The Samsung A3(2017) can deliver power through its USB C type connector to a physical HDD, mine is a Freecom Toughdrive. The A3 with latest Android does not need to be rooted, it works out of the box and is able to read and format FAT32 and exFAT with the default Samsung apps.