Puddlejumpers?

dnewscruiser

We took puddle jumpers and when they outgrew those took their regular life vests (ski jacket type.) Our twins are 7, but we were in ABQ for several years so they did not learn to swim really well until last summer. They can swim a lap (probably more) in the 25m pool, but we'd still take the vests if they were going to be in the ocean or on a small boat excursion.

We would generally just stuff them into the luggage, but we've generally driven to the port or flown Southwest so did not have any issues with taking a 3rd full size suitcase. I do recall a couple of times just clipping them to my backpack. They weight nothing, so it's just a matter of the bulk. That won't work on a plane so well, unless it could be counted as a carry on item for the kids.

At 4YO you could get your older daughter a rolling carry on. They can carry their own toys and stuffed animals, device, writing materials, and maybe even a few clothes to 'help mommy/daddy'. They will make some space in the big bags and make them quite happy... though they'll need to be herded a bit, it's going to happen sometime! The hard side cases are also a great way to carry the snacks without them being crushed in a backpack or purse.

Yes! My 3 & 7 year old loved being able to take their own suitcases on our cruise. I packed their clothes in their suitcases, which left plenty of room in mine for all the odds & ends. I probably could have left more out and packed the puddle jumper in there. Since we drive though I just hooked it to our carry on and let it hang. My youngest loved having this and he is on the small side as well, the other jackets were too large for him when we tried before. So, the puddle jumper was needed. I also like the idea that someone else mentioned about packing them into the car seat bags for the flight. The times I have flown I used this bag and would throw extra diapers, blankets, etc in with it. Then, I would check it in at the gate.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

we took puddle jumpers when our twins were smaller and couldn't swim as well. They were great for the deep (and sometimes wave sloshing) pool and also worked well for snorkeling. I never liked the inflatable water wings as they can come off or pop, so if you do go that route bring a back up set!

• 1 month later...

happy to chime in post-cruise that I found arm floats (inflatable rings that go around kid's arms) that rate to 100#! At Walmart.

So, we brought both a vest and floaties, and, of course, the floaties were a lot more convenient and less bulky. Since the kiddo is 60# now, a regular puddlejumper was a no-go, since they are rated to 50#. They worked great!