Hardy Toll road to Galveston? help, please

39august

We ran into a terrible traffic problem last month going from OKC to Galveston. Not knowing the area, we stayed on 45 all the way. Some on the ship advised taking the Hardy Toll road to 610 and 610 to 45 to avoid downtown Houston. But on our way back home, it appeared that the traffic jam started at the Spring entrance to the Hardy Toll road. Please give me some advice on whether to take this route next month.

We ran into a terrible traffic problem last month going from OKC to Galveston. Not knowing the area, we stayed on 45 all the way. Some on the ship advised taking the Hardy Toll road to 610 and 610 to 45 to avoid downtown Houston. But on our way back home, it appeared that the traffic jam started at the Spring entrance to the Hardy Toll road. Please give me some advice on whether to take this route next month.

There is major construction going on 45 starting where Hardy comes into 45 and north from there. Often parts of 45 are closed over the weekend, but the traffic can be BAD during the week. Idea - take 105 at Conroe east to 59 and then 59 to 610 to 45.

We've coming from Memphis, have never driven to Galveston. Would these roads work for us also?

First of all, check a map.

I never suggest 45 from the north side of Houston as it is old and congested.

Hwy 59 to45S on the south side of Houston is the best route.

BTW - 610 loop was closed on the east side of Houston on Wednesday due to an accident.

There is never a fail safe route on any road anywhere

Galveston cruiser, are you saying to take Texas Tillie's advice about taking 105 east to 59, and then stay on 59 until it connects with 45 south?

I think what GC means is that you never know from day to day the best way to go. An accident here, an overturned 18 wheeler there, and everything is a mess. 59 to 45 direct takes you right next to downtown. 59 to 610 to 45 avoids downtown. With Houston traffic, it's a crap shoot! :eek::D:p

pdficon.gif Houston Map PDF

Download Here (PDF 64.9KB)

Construction is a circumstantial event

at a moment in time for a night or day or so.

But it not a continuing issue for traffic,

because of the nature of that event

which was removing major components of highway.

I45 north is a bad old highway.

If coming in I45 from north take Beltway east around to I45 South of Houston

or

If coming in I45 from north take Hardy to 610 Loop east around to I45 South of Houston

or

If coming in I45 from north take Hardy to 610 Loop east to 59 and thru downtown Houston to connect back to I45 South

If there is "known" wreck on I45 south

take 288 to 6 to Galveston

take beltway east and go to 146 to Galveston

How long is construction suppose to last

or was it a circumstantial short term issue?

Hopefully it was a one time issue in spite of continuing construction.

Always they try to keep lanes open

unless it is major unavoidable event and issue

like this one was.

Keep checking with us at your cruise time

and we will be glad to inform you!

A bunch of us live here!

Edited by ssb

For Houston Incidents/Road Closures traffic information: http://traffic.houstontranstar.org/roadclosures/

For the Houston District Real-Time Construction Schedule: http://traffic.houstontranstar.org/construction/construction_report.aspx

Keep the links handy during your drive so you can check them periodically.

Kat emo32.gif

... In Sept. I45 was actually closed southbound and traffic was shuttled off to a side road before being allowed to re-enter I45 south.

There is ALWAYS some sort of construction going on the Gulf Freeway (I-45 North/South) between Houston and Galveston. There have been folks where their first job was working there... they stayed on... retired from there... and now their kids and grandkids are working there! emo3.gif

Kat emo32.gif

Edited by Host Kat >^..^<
typo

The Highway Department for Interstate 45

on south side of downtown Houston to Galveston

by contract during days will have 6 lanes open

3 on each side

3 going north

3 going south

Remember Houston is 4th largest and soon to be 3rd largest city in US

Traffic can slow in normal patterns

Traffic will slow in construction areas and especially during rush hours

Traffic will slow in accident areas

6 lanes will always be open unless

Edited by ssb

• 4 weeks later...

They are installing flyover ramps on I45 at Hwy 242 on the south side of Conroe & continue to close various lanes for safety when installing the cross beams. Crazy big project but is scheduled to be complete Jan 2015 so not too much longer.

The construction at I45 & Spring Cypress (just south of Hardy Toll road access) is a new circle highway going around Houston & will be a traffic nightmare for a while yet, so I would advise taking Hardy Toll to 610 EAST to 59 south to get back on 45 at the southern end of Houston downtown.

If you are coming from Memphis/Texarkana area, you will come south on 59. Stay on 59 until it connects with I45 past the Astros baseball stadium. There is no need to get on 610 to get to 45. That route is the long way around & will put you in (typically) worse traffic.

The only time you need to get on 610 would be getting off Hardy Toll Rd & you would go EAST to 59, not west to 45. If you get a chance to look at a map this will make more sense.

Have fun & if you get stuck in Traffic, remember you are on your way to a cruise & not work so make the most of it. :)

Speaking of Houston toll roads... is the section of Sam Houston Tollway from I-10 west down to I-45s toward Galveston cash friendly, or does one need to have a toll pass before venturing onto it?

I have often been tempted to take it when coming in from San Antonio, but I didn't know what the toll collection situation was and didn't want to get a fine.

Edited by James in SA

Speaking of Houston toll roads... is the section of Sam Houston Tollway from I-10 west down to I-45s toward Galveston cash friendly, or does one need to have a toll pass before venturing onto it?

I have often been tempted to take it when coming in from San Antonio, but I didn't know what the toll collection situation was and didn't want to get a fine.

Cash friendly.

However, have not found it any faster to take the toll road, even in 5 pm traffic.

• 3 years later...
But they are still working on 45..... lol

The original "Gulf Freeway" in Houston was begun in 1954, before the interstate highway system. It has been in constant construction somewhere between downtown Houston and Galveston Island continually since then! That's just 64 years!!! :o:confused:;p