More fake service dog nonsense

Are there really a lot of “service” dogs on RCCL or is it just a few isolated incidents. Let me be clear, I have no objection to real service dogs. It’s the fake service dogs I am referring to. I really don’t want to cruise with Fido barking all day and night.

Are there really a lot of “service” dogs on RCCL or is it just a few isolated incidents. Let me be clear, I have no objection to real service dogs. It’s the fake service dogs I am referring to. I really don’t want to cruise with Fido barking all day and night.

All I can say is that I have seen multiple dogs on every Oasis class cruise ship we have sailed on in the last two years. And we see them often during the cruise, even strolling through the Boardwalk, Central Park, and other areas of the ship with their owners. I don't want to cruise with people's pets, we board ours and leave him at home, but welcome cruising with true service dogs. Like most things in our country, people feel entitled to bring their pets, in their minds they have that right, so to heck with how it might affect others around them...it's all about them. We have beat this topic to death but if RCCL doesn't get a handle on this what once may have been isolated will be a common occurrence, then people will have to make a choice, stay with RCCL or go to other lines with stricter guidelines. We can't wait to try Virgin Cruises!

All I can say is that I have seen multiple dogs on every Oasis class cruise ship we have sailed on in the last two years.

I have to think they are more common on the larger ships as they hold more people, like a percentage aspect across the fleet. IMO I think the people who bring fifi and fido (the non-legit ones) are a drive away from port VS a flight. For example, to drag a fake service dog from Michigan to Florida for a one week cruise is a lot of effort before they even get on the ship. If the Airlines crack down like they say, it will become harder for those that do. Someone who lives a relatively quick drive from port might just order their fake vest and onto the ship they go. After all $50 one time on a vest is much cheaper than a dog spa for the week, a couple times a year.

For some reason I am not expecting to see any "comfort/support" dogs on my one way Alaska cruise compared to my past round trip Oasis Class sailings.

Ive only been on 7 cruises but I have never seen any dog of any kind whether its a service dog or someones pet on any cruise ship. From reading here, it looks like I may get my chance on Harmony.

Ive only been on 7 cruises but I have never seen any dog of any kind whether its a service dog or someones pet on any cruise ship. From reading here, it looks like I may get my chance on Harmony.

I have only encountered one true service dog, no fake service dogs on a Cruise Ship. I will let you know if I see any on my incoming Anthem Cruise.

Happy Sailing everyone!

Easy; charge anyone with an animal a $1000 cleaning deposit. Won’t be a problem for a real service animal that is trained. The deposit might deter those playing games

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

A few years ago I traveled fairly often with friends that had a legitimate service dog. If memory serves me correctly there was quite a bit more to bringing the dog onto the ship than merely parading it up in a service dog vest. Seems that they had to provide a current health certificate from a veterinarian and that some ports charge a fee for bringing the dog ashore while others (Jamaica for one) prohibited them entirely.

Easy; charge anyone with an animal a $1000 cleaning deposit. Won’t be a problem for a real service animal that is trained. The deposit might deter those playing games

Just like a hotel, you cannot charge a cleaning fee for a service animal. If the animal causes damage, then a service fee can be charged, if it is that hotel's policy to charge non-disabled guests the same charge for damages.

If you think this would fall under the ADA exclusion for foreign flag cruise ships, it wouldn't, as this is not an internal policy of the ship, it is a charge made causing the person with the service animal to pay more for the same accommodation as the non-disabled. That is one area of the ADA that SCOTUS upheld for foreign flag ships.

I didn't manage to get a picture of the dog i'm assuming this was meant for on the Jewel TA last week, but I did see her all prettied up in her stroller with the elderly couple that was pushing her around.

27437308097_cbf32dcc14.jpg

Then there was this....

42259523712_3404c2a7de.jpg

Just like a hotel, you cannot charge a cleaning fee for a service animal. If the animal causes damage, then a service fee can be charged, if it is that hotel's policy to charge non-disabled guests the same charge for damages.

If you think this would fall under the ADA exclusion for foreign flag cruise ships, it wouldn't, as this is not an internal policy of the ship, it is a charge made causing the person with the service animal to pay more for the same accommodation as the non-disabled. That is one area of the ADA that SCOTUS upheld for foreign flag ships.

OK. Fine with me. Charge everyone a refundable security deposit for damages. Whole ship. It's refundable; don't break things, no worry. It'll make people think twice.

I didn't manage to get a picture of the dog i'm assuming this was meant for on the Jewel TA last week, but I did see her all prettied up in her stroller with the elderly couple that was pushing her around.

27437308097_cbf32dcc14.jpg

Then there was this....

42259523712_3404c2a7de.jpg

Yep, that is what I was talking about on Oasis and Allure. And dressing a dog up and pushing it around in a stroller...that's just wrong...sick really.

In the past year or so, I've seen a dog on nearly every cruise ( 9 cruises). Some sailings had more than one dog. All the dogs seemed well behaved. Most were larger dogs and were with owners who had a visible disability. Some of the dogs were assisting the sight impaired, some were assisting those in a wheel chair. The larger dogs assisting those with a visible disability stayed at the owners side, never made any noise.

Then there was one dog that was dressed in pet outfits ( dog sailor outfit, dog tuxedo - you get the picture) and pushed in a stroller. Another was a fluffy lap dog . The stroller and lap dogs were handed to and held by willing takers. The dogs were cute and created lots of attention wherever the owners took them. Never really heard any barking. Not my business but no way to tell if they were service dogs, dogs that detect illnesses, support dogs or the family pet.

There is a designated area on the open outside walking deck for the dogs to relieve themselves, pop bags, trash can and hand sanitizer. Luckily I've never seen any accidents inside the ship and have never encountered an unruly dog. .

Hopefully you will be lucky and not have any issues on your cruise.

enjoy

M

I read a number of threads for the various cruise lines here on CC.

It seems that RCCL forum has the post about service dogs on the ships.No other cruise lines’ threads that I read ( NCL, Princess, Celebrity) have any threads concerning this topic. ( At least none that I have found recently.)

Is this a thing with RCCL that this cruise line is more lenient about allowing dogs on their ships that are not true service dogs ?

The only dog that I have ever seen on a ship was a companion dog for a man who was blind on an NCL cruise. The dog was a beautiful golden lab and was so careful of the man.

Those dogs give a wonderful service to people who need their assistance . I do hope the practice of allowing those pets whose people dress them in costumes and push them in strollers onboard ships does not interfere in anyway with allowing onboard those companion dogs who are so needed by the people they are trained to serve.

Be

OK. Fine with me. Charge everyone a refundable security deposit for damages. Whole ship. It's refundable; don't break things, no worry. It'll make people think twice.

And if the fake service dog doesn't cause any damages, (and pooping on the deck wouldn't qualify as "damages") the person gets their money back, don't see any deterrent effect there. And you'd create a whole new genre of threads about this deposit being a "nickel and dime" issue. And you think the cruise lines want to advertise a $1000 price increase?

And if the fake service dog doesn't cause any damages, (and pooping on the deck wouldn't qualify as "damages") the person gets their money back, don't see any deterrent effect there.

You see no deterrent effect? If someone KNOWS their "service animal" is just Shmoopsy the pet and not trained to be away from home, around thousands of people, unknown environment, etc. they may think the pet could be a potential liability.

I would hope no one ever get charged in the end, but if it works to keep the entitled people who can't be away from their pets to either stop bringing their pets or stay home with them, fine with me.

Can you ever totally eliminate the issue? No. But you make it risky for those that know they are scamming and maybe some stop. Sure beats throwing your hands up and saying 'well, guess we can't do anything'

I am a teacher. Over the years I have had many students who had some sort of special needs accommodations. Some accommodations are extra time on tests or use of a computer or a scribe to take notes. I've had to read aloud as I wrote for a student with limited vision and I've had to provide a written transcript of my lecture for a student who couldn't hear. Two recent students are blind and have very well behaved black labs that get them from here to there on campus. (I have a very ill behaved black lab, so these dogs amaze me. I have never touched either of them. I have never seen anyone else pet them, either.) These dogs would -- and should -- be allowed to accompany their persons anywhere.

About 15 years ago, I had two students whose disabilities required a personal attendant in the classroom. Neither student could toilet himself. One was very bright, followed a college preparatory curriculum, but required a scribe. The other had many physical limitations and had difficulties communicating. He sometimes communicated through a computer and his personal attendant often translated his needs for him. In order for either of these young men to enjoy a cruise -- and I'm sure both of them would -- they would need to be accompanied by a personal assistant. It is my understanding that this personal assistant could not get the appropriate vest from Amazon and would be charged a full fare.

I think all of us see the need for ADA certified service dogs to be able to accompany the person in need of the service they perform. However, if non-certified comfort dogs are allowed to travel free of charge, then people who have needs that humans are required to attend to should be allowed to bring their personal assistants free of charge as well.

I think all of us see the need for ADA certified service dogs to be able to accompany the person in need of the service they perform. However, if non-certified comfort dogs are allowed to travel free of charge, then people who have needs that humans are required to attend to should be allowed to bring their personal assistants free of charge as well.

In which case I will go free as my children are unable to cope without me. :D

It has gotten a little crazy. I stopped at a grocery store 2 days ago and they had put up a sign that said "Your ADA service dog is welcome here. All other animals MUST be left outside for the health and safety of our customers."

It has gotten a little crazy. I stopped at a grocery store 2 days ago and they had put up a sign that said "Your ADA service dog is welcome here. All other animals MUST be left outside for the health and safety of our customers."

Yeah, the idiots stick their fifi dogs in the basket child seat where people normally put their produce and/or delicate items. What the heck are they thinking. Leave the freaking dogs at home. :p

Yeah, the idiots stick their fifi dogs in the basket child seat where people normally put their produce and/or delicate items. What the heck are they thinking. Leave the freaking dogs at home. :p
But it's ok to use one after a baby/toddler [emoji33]

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I read a number of threads for the various cruise lines here on CC.

It seems that RCCL forum has the post about service dogs on the ships.No other cruise lines’ threads that I read ( NCL, Princess, Celebrity) have any threads concerning this topic. ( At least none that I have found recently.)

Is this a thing with RCCL that this cruise line is more lenient about allowing dogs on their ships that are not true service dogs ?

The only dog that I have ever seen on a ship was a companion dog for a man who was blind on an NCL cruise. The dog was a beautiful golden lab and was so careful of the man.

Those dogs give a wonderful service to people who need their assistance . I do hope the practice of allowing those pets whose people dress them in costumes and push them in strollers onboard ships does not interfere in anyway with allowing onboard those companion dogs who are so needed by the people they are trained to serve.

Be

I was just thinking the same thing. I like RCCL, but the only cruises I've seen those lap dogs, stroller dogs, etc...have been on my last 3 RCCL cruises.

I've seen none on NCL or MSC (the other lines I've cruised in the same periods as I've cruised RCCL). Not that none were there. I just didn't see them.

I've seen them increasingly on RCCL, however. I can always tell when I'm close due to my eyes tearing/swelling and sneezing fits occurring when I get within 15-20 feet of them.

So, makes sense that RCCL just doesn't care if they're on board, and for what (if any) reason.

But it's ok to use one after a baby/toddler [emoji33]

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Babies/toddlers have several layers of fabric (and more) between their bare skin and the shopping cart.

These days, most parents also use a shopping cart seat liner.