New UPDATED Cruise Director (CD) List - starting from April 2018 onwards

I tell you that you won’t find a friendlier, more fun loving crowd that sails from Galveston. We met folks from UK last year who came to sail from Galveston because everyone was so friendly. They can’t wait to come again. Have you sailed from G personally?

I guess my issue is that I was raised not to bash folks. CDs don’t make nor break my cruise experience. My cruise selections are based on the ship itself, the itinerary, and the cruise friends or family I’m sailing with.

I agree with you Karen, a CD will not make or break my cruise but a good CD is always welcome.

Galveston is on my to sail from list and also New Orleans too but as Joe says it is getting there is the problem. However more often than not it is less expensive for me to fly to the States for a cruise than to sail from Europe. And in a round about way I get to sail with different CDs.

Agree with both of you!

Nearly all of our CD's have been great...entertaining...informative...and friendly.

I think most of Royal's CD's are like that. However, I miss the old days of having CD's like Leigh and Richard Spacey with Royal, alongside many former AM's. I wonder if we will ever see any of them returning (just like Abe, Mike S, Jeff Arpin all returned after taking several years out of the CD role).

I've not, but it is too hard to get to from Scotland, and from what I have heard, it is mostly geared to a US audience. Texas is about as polar opposite to Scotland as you can get, FWIW.

Plus, the Blairs seem to frequent the Galveston market these days, so more the reason to avoid it.

I didn't care for either the New Jersey or Baltimore markets either (nice places though). Florida is different.

A CD that I trust and have had a number of times told me that the entertainment and activities are driven by the demographics of the guests onboard. They look at who will be sailing and adjust accordingly. I can tell you that you get vastly different crowds sailing to Canada/New England than you do sailing to the Caribbean and Bermuda — meaning that if you were to do a B2B in late summer/early fall from either Cape Liberty or Baltimore, you will probably think you were on completely different ships. Personally, I have enjoyed what I have felt to be subtle differences in my sailings from European and American ports.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

A CD that I trust and have had a number of times told me that the entertainment and activities are driven by the demographics of the guests onboard. They look at who will be sailing and adjust accordingly. I can tell you that you get vastly different crowds sailing to Canada/New England than you do sailing to the Caribbean and Bermuda — meaning that if you were to do a B2B in late summer/early fall from either Cape Liberty or Baltimore, you will probably think you were on completely different ships. Personally, I have enjoyed what I have felt to be subtle differences in my sailings from European and American ports.

We've done Enchantment from Baltimore to Canada/NE and Explorer and Anthem from NJ to Bermuda and Eastern Caribbean. Enchantment felt like a completely different ship to Explorer, but John Blair was CD on both EN and AN which made them feel similar. Younger crowd on Anthem though.

Happy Friday! Thanks all for the updates!

Adventure OTS - Chris Brown started mid-April until July. (then who?)

Allure OTS - Jimmy Rhodes returns March 11 for 4 months, then Mitch Merucci is scheduled to return in August for 2 months.

Anthem OTS - Dennis Charles returns May 12 until July, then Chris Brown starts in July.

Brilliance OTS - Abe Hughes started March 31 until early-July, then Clo O'Connor will be CD from early-July until September 1. (need July handover date)

Empress OTS - Hugo Arenas began November 10 for 4 months. Is Hugo still onboard? Who will be replacing him?

Enchantment OTS - Bobby Broughton returned April 6 for 4 months. Mike Szwajkowski is rumored to be on EN for his next contract, but no confirmation yet.

Explorer OTS - Graham Seymour returned February 9 (until when?). Topi Ylönen returns June 8 until July 27. Graham is wanted to be kept on Explorer by the HD, so may be regular CD again for the rest of 2018. Dennis Charles is also scheduled to be joining Explorer in Summer 2018 (possibly for rest of Alaska season).

Freedom OTS - Drew Devine starts March 17 until July 28, then Topi Ylönen returns July 28 until September 29, followed by Drew September 29 for 4 months.

Grandeur OTS - Mike Szwajkowski started April 14 for 2 months, then Bob Leininger returns June 2 until October 6, then Mitch Merucci from October 6 until December 1, followed by Bob starting December 1 for another 4 month contract. Mike is reported to be leaving June 2 for a 3 week vacation then returning. Any updates to this info?

Harmony OTS - Dru Pavlov returned April 21 until August 4, then Marc Walker returns August 4 until October 6.

Independence OTS - Tim Connor started March 15 until May 28, then Joff Eaton returns May 28 for the Summer season for 4 months.

Jewel OTS - Andrea Olivieri started February 25 until June 30, then Simona Ferraiuolo returns June 30 for the Italian summer season.

Liberty OTS - Mitch Merucci joined April 15 until May 27, then Jeff Arpin starts May 27 for 2 months.

Majesty OTS - Susan Adams took over February 26. (until when? then who?)

Mariner OTS - Ricky Matthews until July, then Carlos Torres joins in July for 2 months, then Ricky returns in September for 4 months. (need handover date)

Navigator OTS - Rob McNally started May 6 until late-August, then Cuddy Cudworth returns in late-August.

Oasis OTS - Dan Whitney returned early May for 4 months.

Ovation OTS - Mike Hunnerup returned March 23 (for 4 months?).

Quantum OTS - Paul Rutter starts April 9 for 2 months and again in the Fall for 3 months. Who will fill in for Paul's vacation? Fang Lixin?

Radiance OTS - Ken Jones joined April 17 for 2 months, then Cuddy Cudworth starts June 15 for 2 months.

Rhapsody OTS - Elvis Pinto returned early February for 4 months. (then who?) Elvis expects to return to Rhapsody in August after his vacation.

Serenade OTS - Jamie Fentiman started May 13 for 4 months.

Symphony OTS - Michele Scarpato joined March 11 and will still be onboard in mid-July. Bobby Brown will eventually return and be CD for the TA. Marc Walker takes over November 9 in Miami until February 16. (He joins Oct 23 for a 17 day handover)

Vision OTS - Steve Davis returned April 6 until August 6.

Voyager OTS - Carlos Torres began late-January until late-May, then Michelle Pimentinha Oliveira begins late-May (for 4 months?).

Where is Patricio Honores?

Jerome Sueur has left RCI and is reportedly joining Carnival and getting married soon.

Keith Williams has been cleared to return from medical leave, but does not currently have a ship assignment.

Casey Pelter is now working shoreside for Celebrity as Manager of Entertainment.

Graham Seymour is stepping back from cruise life after July 28, 2017 except for occasional fill-ins. (Graham is filling in on Explorer from Feb 9.)

Rich Edwards has unfortunately passed away in June 2017. RIP Rich.

John Perry has left Royal and is now Operations Manager at Hyatt Hotels (per LinkedIn)

Ken Rush works at corporate in Miami as RCI's Director of Entertainment. He may occasionally fill-in as CD

Amy Fickert-Southgate has taken a job shoreside as of June 8

Luke Aerowsmith is working at the corporate office in London

Gordon Whatman is retired, but will be filling-in from time-to-time if needed.

Allan Brooks works for Celebrity in their corporate office.

Richard Spacey is a CD with Celebrity

Becky Thompson works for Celebrity Cruises in their corporate offices in Miami.

Dave Chapman is a CD with HAL

James Andrews is a real estate agent in Sydney

Leo Papa is a Product Manager at Tauck Corp in Connecticut

Anna Bass is a make-up artist

João Pereira has returned to Royal Caribbean and is now the Cruise Sales Manager on the Liberty of the Seas.

Kirk Detweiler is now CD with Silversea cruises.

Simeon Baker - married a dancer, had a baby girl and is a sales exec at a Porsche dealer in Saskatchewan

Matt Baker - Sim's brother - Has sold the Tiddly and is now a radio presenter.

Kieron Buffrey - CD with Viking River Cruises and recently became a father to a lovely baby boy

Tom Canosa - teaching 6th grade science in North Carolina

Peter Benfield and Johnny Osborne have emigrated to Thailand

Anthony Richards is living in Miami with his wife, and is working for Royal Media Partners as Manager Port Revenue Operations

Rico du Breil is now a CD with SilverSeas out of Italy

Paul Lancaster is no longer with RCI, and resides in England

Abel Jeney is now with The World - Luxury Residence at Sea

Parker Cristan is living in Milwaukee, Wisconsin - staging/choreographing for local theater

Ashley Kerr - married and living in Vancouver BC, working as a marketing rep for a PR firm

Karen Maybury - has a consultant/pr/entertainment agency

Jannie Cloete - leading expeditions on small ships

Warren Allen (aka Warren Melhuish) lives in Ontario, Canada. He has retired from ship-life but still works on the stage

Thomas DeCell is no longer with RCI

Leigh Xuereb and his AM Frankie Portera are CD's for Carnival

I am so grateful for this thread. While I agree that a cruise director doesn't make sor break a cruise....they can add lots of enjoyment and pizzazz when they are good. And if I'm honest we did have an activities manager who did negatively impact a cruise to the point where I find out who AM is before I'll cruise.

Just returned from the May transatlantic on Jewel of the Seas. A great time was had by all. Cruise director was Andrea Olivieri. He has quite a gift for languages but hearing the same sentence in many languages got old on a 14 night cruise.

I am so grateful for this thread. While I agree that a cruise director doesn't make sor break a cruise....they can add lots of enjoyment and pizzazz when they are good. And if I'm honest we did have an activities manager who did negatively impact a cruise to the point where I find out who AM is before I'll cruise.

Just returned from the May transatlantic on Jewel of the Seas. A great time was had by all. Cruise director was Andrea Olivieri. He has quite a gift for languages but hearing the same sentence in many languages got old on a 14 night cruise.

Thanks! Cruise Directors have never made or broken a cruise for me, but they are of great importance for the entertainment and activities.

Who was the dud AM that you had?

BTW - I see your point about the languages. With it being a TA from San Juan, I could see why Spanish would be used, but other than that, I would get quite irritated if something was constantly translated just for the sake of it.

'Pizzazz' - that is the perfect word to describe a good CD or AM - they have to have a Pizzazz! :D

I had a few friends on the Jewel TA and they all had good reports. I suppose if Jewel is sailing from San Juan (Spanish) to Rome (Italian) plus English speaking guests then 3 would be the minimum you would expect to cover the majority of passengers.(y)

Happy Friday and Happy June! Thanks all for the updates!

Adventure OTS - Chris Brown started mid-April until July. (then who?)

Allure OTS - Jimmy Rhodes returns March 11 for 4 months, then Mitch Merucci is scheduled to return August 12 for 2 months.

Anthem OTS - Dennis Charles returns May 12 until July, then Chris Brown starts in July.

Brilliance OTS - Abe Hughes started March 31 until early-July, then Clo O'Connor will be CD from early-July until September 1. (need July handover date)

Empress OTS - Hugo Arenas began November 10 for 4 months. Is Hugo still onboard? Who will be replacing him?

Enchantment OTS - Bobby Broughton returned April 6 for 4 months. Mike Szwajkowski is rumored to be on EN for his next contract, but no confirmation yet.

Explorer OTS - Graham Seymour returned February 9 (until when?). Topi Ylönen returns June 8 until July 27. Graham is wanted to be kept on Explorer by the HD, so may be regular CD again for the rest of 2018. Dennis Charles is also scheduled to be joining Explorer in Summer 2018 (possibly for rest of Alaska season).

Freedom OTS - Drew Devine starts March 17 until July 28, then Topi Ylönen returns July 28 until September 29, followed by Drew September 29 for 4 months.

Grandeur OTS - Mike Szwajkowski started April 14 for 2 months, then Bob Leininger returns June 2 until October 6, then Mitch Merucci from October 6 until December 1, followed by Bob starting December 1 for another 4 month contract. Mike is reported to be leaving June 2 for a 3 week vacation then returning. Any updates to this info?

Harmony OTS - Dru Pavlov returned April 21 until August 4, then Marc Walker returns August 4 until October 6.

Independence OTS - Joff Eaton returned May 28 for 4 months. (then who? Tim Connor?)

Jewel OTS - Andrea Olivieri started February 25 until June 30, then Simona Ferraiuolo returns June 30 for the Italian summer season.

Liberty OTS - Jeff Arpin starts May 27 for 2 months. (then who?)

Majesty OTS - Susan Adams took over February 26. (until when? then who?)

Mariner OTS - Ricky Matthews until July, then Carlos Torres joins in July for 2 months, then Ricky returns in September for 4 months. (need handover date)

Navigator OTS - Rob McNally started May 6 until late-August, then Cuddy Cudworth returns in late-August.

Oasis OTS - Dan Whitney returned early May for 4 months.

Ovation OTS - Mike Hunnerup returned March 23 (for 4 months?).

Quantum OTS - Paul Rutter starts April 9 for 2 months and again in the Fall for 3 months. Who will fill in for Paul's vacation? Fang Lixin?

Radiance OTS - Ken Jones joined April 17 for 2 months, then Cuddy Cudworth starts June 15 for 2 months.

Rhapsody OTS - Elvis Pinto returned early February for 4 months. (then who?) Elvis expects to return to Rhapsody in August after his vacation.

Serenade OTS - Jamie Fentiman started May 13 for 4 months.

Symphony OTS - Michele Scarpato joined March 11 and will still be onboard in mid-July. Bobby Brown will eventually return and be CD for the TA. Marc Walker takes over November 9 in Miami until February 16. (He joins Oct 23 for a 17 day handover)

Vision OTS - Steve Davis returned April 6 until August 6.

Voyager OTS - Michelle Oliveira began late-May (for 4 months?).

Where is Patricio Honores?

Jerome Sueur has left RCI and is reportedly joining Carnival and getting married soon.

Keith Williams has been cleared to return from medical leave, but does not currently have a ship assignment.

Casey Pelter is now working shoreside for Celebrity as Manager of Entertainment.

Graham Seymour is stepping back from cruise life after July 28, 2017 except for occasional fill-ins. (Graham is filling in on Explorer from Feb 9.)

Rich Edwards has unfortunately passed away in June 2017. RIP Rich.

John Perry has left Royal and is now Operations Manager at Hyatt Hotels (per LinkedIn)

Ken Rush works at corporate in Miami as RCI's Director of Entertainment. He may occasionally fill-in as CD

Amy Fickert-Southgate has taken a job shoreside as of June 8

Luke Aerowsmith is working at the corporate office in London

Gordon Whatman is retired, but will be filling-in from time-to-time if needed.

Allan Brooks works for Celebrity in their corporate office.

Richard Spacey is a CD with Celebrity

Becky Thompson works for Celebrity Cruises in their corporate offices in Miami.

Dave Chapman is a CD with HAL

James Andrews is a real estate agent in Sydney

Leo Papa is a Product Manager at Tauck Corp in Connecticut

Anna Bass is a make-up artist

João Pereira has returned to Royal Caribbean and is now the Cruise Sales Manager on the Liberty of the Seas.

Kirk Detweiler is now CD with Silversea cruises.

Simeon Baker - married a dancer, had a baby girl and is a sales exec at a Porsche dealer in Saskatchewan

Matt Baker - Sim's brother - Has sold the Tiddly and is now a radio presenter.

Kieron Buffrey - CD with Viking River Cruises and recently became a father to a lovely baby boy

Tom Canosa - teaching 6th grade science in North Carolina

Peter Benfield and Johnny Osborne have emigrated to Thailand

Anthony Richards is living in Miami with his wife, and is working for Royal Media Partners as Manager Port Revenue Operations

Rico du Breil is now a CD with SilverSeas out of Italy

Paul Lancaster is no longer with RCI, and resides in England

Abel Jeney is now with The World - Luxury Residence at Sea

Parker Cristan is living in Milwaukee, Wisconsin - staging/choreographing for local theater

Ashley Kerr - married and living in Vancouver BC, working as a marketing rep for a PR firm

Karen Maybury - has a consultant/pr/entertainment agency

Jannie Cloete - leading expeditions on small ships

Warren Allen (aka Warren Melhuish) lives in Ontario, Canada. He has retired from ship-life but still works on the stage

Thomas DeCell is no longer with RCI

Leigh Xuereb and his AM Frankie Portera are CD's for Carnival

Hi Joe Dennis staying on until September then Chris brown join the Anthem September 6 for 4 months

Sent from my Z982 using Forums mobile app

Thanks. Is Dennis definitely going to EX after vacation? EX will be in Australia then Southampton following this Alaska season.

Would love to have either Cuddy or Graham Seymour for the Radiance transpacific in September. For such a long cruise, I think you need one of your best CDs who can really make the most of so many sea days. Also form the large number of Aussies that will likely be on board, a CD who is use to Australian dynamics would be great. Both Cuddy and Graham are A1++++.

I guess each trip is governed by a standard script, but an engaging CD can make such a differance.

Would love to have either Cuddy or Graham Seymour for the Radiance transpacific in September. For such a long cruise, I think you need one of your best CDs who can really make the most of so many sea days.

I guess each trip is governed by a standard script, but an engaging CD can make such a differance.

It will be John Blair. He wasn't my cup of tea, but some do like him.

Tell me more?

He seems to be a bit too full of himself for my liking and comes across very fake. In addition, he wasn't visible much on Anthem, he rarely used any humor and there was some odd scheduling, such as Love and Marriage on the last evening. There were several complaints about him and his wife (who worked as his AM) on our Roll Call. I just thought he was like a used car salesman. Other people do like him, but definitely not my cup of tea.

Does anyone know the handover date between Michele and Bobby on Symphony? I've calculated the timings and if both are doing 4 month contracts, that would likely make it July 8th and I'll still be onboard then.

Just booked Mariner for this August. Anyone have any feedback about Carlos?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Carlos was our AM on Serenade in 2013. He did a decent job. Seemed to be out and about more than CD Casey. As he was the Spanish translator, it was hard to judge either way, but I had no issues with him and think that he would be a decent CD.

Carlos was our AM on Serenade in 2013. He did a decent job. Seemed to be out and about more than CD Casey. As he was the Spanish translator, it was hard to judge either way, but I had no issues with him and think that he would be a decent CD.

Thanks Joe! I will try to provide some feedback in August [emoji4]

Just booked Mariner for this August. Anyone have any feedback about Carlos?

Carlos was CD when I was on Empress last fall. I thought he did a fine job. He is an outstanding singer and performed with the band in Boleros one evening and did a set in the Centrum as well. I felt he was approachable and personable.

We will be on the Navigator in early December. I am trying to figure out Cuddy's schedule. If he returns to Nav in August he could be on Nav while we are there. Would he be scheduled until the dry dock?

Royal is not consistent so hard to predict. Any thoughts?