Parking NYC Cruise Terminal

okat101

This is our first time leaving out of the NYC cruise terminal. We are staying in NYC the night before and departing on the Breakaway on a Friday. Is there plenty of a available parking at the NYC cruise terminal? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks for the quick response. Yea, we wanted to sightsee in NYC and have dinner in the city. I saw the posts about staying at hotels in NJ and leaving the car there. We will definitely consider that for future cruises out of NYC.

Amtrak was our first thought. Our cruise is over NYE, and we just made a last minute decision to take the trip. Maybe the dates are too close, but the most reasonable Amtrak prices were for trains really really early or really late. Between parking one night at the hotel and 7 nights at the port vs Amtrak, the cost is close. So we decided just to drive and keep our schedule flexible. However, I am not looking forward to the drive home after the cruise.

In June we just got up early and drove to the cruise terminal, leaving time for the unexpected, which we thankfully did not need (I am usually a proponent of going the day before). Parking at the terminal was simple and close. At the end of the cruise we were in the Lincoln Tunnel something like 15 minutes after getting into the car. We also live in MD and get to NYC a couple of times a year so did not do any sightseeing associated with the cruise.

• 5 months later...
Consider parking in a lot across the street from the cruise terminal and Uber from there to your NYC hotel. On the day of the cruise Uber back to the ship. Your car is already parked.

which lot do you recommend?

• 2 weeks later...
Consider parking in a lot across the street from the cruise terminal and Uber from there to your NYC hotel. On the day of the cruise Uber back to the ship. Your car is already parked.

We will be cruising out of Manhattan on the Gem in November. Would be interested in any info on other parking lots besides the cruise terminal parking.

I've parked at the NYC terminal several times and it's great. Never had issues with finding a parking spot (and we use handicapped parking). May be more expensive than the lots "across the street" but in NYC across the street can be several large blocks away. If you're OK walking with luggage or dealing with finding your Uber driver to save some $$, go for it. For me the convenience of the car being right next door outweighs some $$ savings.

• 1 month later...
We will be cruising out of Manhattan on the Gem in November. Would be interested in any info on other parking lots besides the cruise terminal parking.
FWIW, I just checked Spothero and Parkwhiz for cheap parking near the terminal and was surprised that they could not come up with anything under $40 a day within a couple of blocks, both for tomorrow and for my August cruise. There was something less expensive ($35/day) up around 58th Street.

FWIW, I just checked Spothero and Parkwhiz for cheap parking near the terminal and was surprised that they could not come up with anything under $40 a day within a couple of blocks, both for tomorrow and for my August cruise. There was something less expensive ($35/day) up around 58th Street.

Thanks. We used Park Right the last time we cruised from NY. They charge $30 per night ($28 if you book online). Looks like they are still the best deal other than parking at the cruise port.

Thanks. We used Park Right the last time we cruised from NY. They charge $30 per night ($28 if you book online). Looks like they are still the best deal other than parking at the cruise port.

Looks like you can get them for $19.50 a day using this site: https://www.parkjockey.com/cruise-parking and that supposedly includes a shuttle to the ship and they claim to refund $5 in taxi fare on the return.

However, Park Right's reviews on Yelp are terrible (although I assume you did not have a problem since you're talking about using them again). The Parkjockey website does have other options for $20 a day. Not sure how the other lots reviews are.

Looks like you can get them for $19.50 a day using this site: https://www.parkjockey.com/cruise-parking and that supposedly includes a shuttle to the ship and they claim to refund $5 in taxi fare on the return.

However, Park Right's reviews on Yelp are terrible (although I assume you did not have a problem since you're talking about using them again). The Parkjockey website does have other options for $20 a day. Not sure how the other lots reviews are.

We used Park Right two years ago without any problems. They dropped us off at the cruise terminal in our car and then parked the car in their garage. On return, they refunded us $5 in taxi fare (though their website now mentions up to $10 refund for cab fare). I will have to take a look at recent reviews.

We used Park Right two years ago without any problems. They dropped us off at the cruise terminal in our car and then parked the car in their garage. On return, they refunded us $5 in taxi fare (though their website now mentions up to $10 refund for cab fare). I will have to take a look at recent reviews.
That's good to hear. I subsequently noticed that it wasn't a shuttle but they drove your car to the port. The booking site implied there was an additional cost for that but maybe only if you book at the reduced rate? The bad reviews seemed to focused on long waits to check in.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

Several things to keep in mind when using off site parking. Depending on what you drive there may be a surcharge that wipes out most if not all of the savings. Second, you are allowing someone you don't know to drive your car through the streets of Manhattan and they don't accept responsibility for damage or you will really have to fight for repayment. Lastly you are handing your keys over and telling them I won't be back for a week. The pier is self park and no surcharges for oversize vehicles(which in most lots seem to be anything other than a sedan).

Several things to keep in mind when using off site parking. Depending on what you drive there may be a surcharge that wipes out most if not all of the savings. Second, you are allowing someone you don't know to drive your car through the streets of Manhattan and they don't accept responsibility for damage or you will really have to fight for repayment. Lastly you are handing your keys over and telling them I won't be back for a week. The pier is self park and no surcharges for oversize vehicles(which in most lots seem to be anything other than a sedan).

1) Valid point on the surcharge. Pays to check on it if your car would qualify for one.

2) You don't need to use the valet service if you don't want to (and I think that Park Right was the only one that offers it). You can drop off your luggage first and then walk back since it's not very far.

3) Lots of people leave their cars for extended periods and your car is likely to be blocked in by many other cars once it's parked and difficult to get out even in the very unlikely event that an employee wanted to take it out for a joy ride. If you have a fancy car, this might be worth worrying about but I can't imagine that it happens much, since it would be newsworthy and certainly reportable to the department of consumer affairs. Make a note of your mileage when you leave your car if this concerns you.

Just seems like you're searching for problems where they really don't exist.