Picture-A-Week 2018 - Week 17

pierces

While visiting Houston this weekend, Kim and I joined our son and his wife for dinner at a trendy "Crafted" cocktail bar that serves “Artisan” food. Artisan is often best described as expensive stuff you choke down because you paid a lot for it but this place served some really good food. While not cheap, it was easily worth the money paid. Kim had a spicy pesto dish that I tried and wished that I had ordered until my pizza came out. Local sourced Andouille sausage, ham and cheeses with farm fresh corn and cilantro on a crust that was as good as we make in our own pizza oven. Slap an egg in the middle, add a Karbach Rodeo Clown Double IPA and my taste buds were Texan for the night.

Foo Foo Pizza

p2845580812-5.jpg

Dave

Finally got to my weekend shots from Saturday in the wetlands. It's getting hot and summery around here - the last waves of migrating birds was passing through and the summer birds are starting to settle, and now my wetlands days are going to be wrapped up by a cool-down in my pool, which means more backyard wildlife shots taken from the swimming pool again!

A wave of 12-15 blackpoll warblers were in the pine forest, feeding up for their trip to parts farther north:

original.jpg

The white peacock butterflies have returned and bloomed, and are everywhere now:

original.jpg

The beautiful wood duck momma was parading out her ducklings:

original.jpg

The wood storks had a VERY successful nesting season - this is just one pond-apple tree island out of dozens, and they all look the same as this one - dozens of growing baby wood storks crammed in like Manhattan high-rises:

original.jpg

And now that each day ends with a soak in the pool with the camera at poolside ready for action, my pool day started with a rescue of a ringneck snake that was trying to find a way out. I lifted him from the pool, and then took a snap of him while he sat on the warm deck drying off:

original.jpg

From Sylvan Heights, which is primarily a waterfowl sanctuary, in NC

Male Wood Duck

Sylvan%2004%2029%2018%20-303%208X10%20WM.jpg

Male Mandarin Duck

Sylvan%2004%2029%2018%20-527%208X10%20WM.jpg

These two were a hoot. Male Mandarin and Male Wood Duck (Leucistic) who have a bro-mance going on. They are always together

Sylvan%2004%2029%2018%20-536%208X10%20WM.jpg